Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V70 D5 Just cleaned out my EGR mixer pipe - jesus!!

Views : 202679

Replies : 219

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 27th, 2010, 11:06   #21
Bernard333
Premier Member

I did my 2003 V70 D5 at about 100k miles and it was not half as bad as yours but still caked on about 5mm thick , the strange thing is that now at over 140k miles its not come back again just a little bit which I am leaving for the time being . On mine it made no difference to performance . I wonder if its anything to do with the type of engine oil or fuel used which causes more or less of the gunge ? I have always used the cheapest supermarket diesel and engine oil which you might expect to cause more problems due to being minimum specification or is it caused more by the engine not burning the fuel fully or even driving style ? I am not implying you are not driving properly by the way , but could it be due to a lot of stop start driving when the engine is not warmed up and just drinking the fuel through , on mine it takes at least 7 to 8 miles for the engine to warm up and and even then I doubt its fully warmed up to a steady state .
Bernard333 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bernard333 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 27th, 2010, 12:37   #22
R-P
Master Member

My engine (not my car ) had done 50-60k when I did this, and there was about 5mm of gunk. Nowhere near as much as the OP.

R-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27th, 2010, 13:06   #23
Speedy

Is there a how to, to block off the EGR then?
Speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27th, 2010, 15:00   #24
dave_s13

This is how I intend to do it.

Take off the plenum pipe (the one we are banging on about in this thread).

Cut a peice of coke can (or similar) and blank off the small hole on the side of the pipe...this one

Just needs to cut your bit of metal to match the bolt hole pattern.

But, there may be a risk of your EGR valve now crudding up so much it throws up an error code or it's lack of operation doing the same.

I've read elsewhere of people doing it this way with no issues though.
dave_s13 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dave_s13 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 27th, 2010, 15:33   #25
Dynosaur
GoldMember

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave_s13 View Post
This is how I intend to do it.

Take off the plenum pipe (the one we are banging on about in this thread).

Cut a peice of coke can (or similar) and blank off the small hole on the side of the pipe...this one

Just needs to cut your bit of metal to match the bolt hole pattern.

But, there may be a risk of your EGR valve now crudding up so much it throws up an error code or it's lack of operation doing the same.

I've read elsewhere of people doing it this way with no issues though.
Yep, some sheet metal plus Hylomar to seal will do it fine.

I've just de-blanked mine because for some reason, it breathes better with it unblocked.
Blanked, there seems to be a tinsy bit of lag and less peak torque.

Bear in mind though, that one of my injectors is in fairly imminent need of replacement (clacking/pinking under load, reduced smoothness, etc).

Blanking off gets me Emissions Service messages after a few minutes of running - but once cancelled, they don't return until the next restart.

The EGR cooler won't get sooted up because there's no through-flow of recirc'd exhaust gas.
Old Apr 27th, 2010, 16:41   #26
tykey

Let's just remember what the EGR system is for.

I copied this next bit off the net;

"The EGR valve helps your car more efficiently and completely burn fuel by recirculating a portion of your exhaust and running it through the combustion process again. This results in a cooler, more complete burn of the fuel which decreases you car's noxious emissions by prohibiting the formation of some harmful gases."

So one might expect the fuel to burn hotter and have less efficient burning (lower mpg) if you blank it off. Which toxic emissions they are talking about is anybodies guess.

How significant this is, who knows?

Having said that, lots of people blank theirs off if the smoke out of the exhaust is too high for the MOT, so it probably isn't a terminal thing to do.
tykey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27th, 2010, 16:50   #27
Dynosaur
GoldMember

Quote:
Originally Posted by tykey View Post

"The EGR valve helps your car more efficiently and completely burn fuel by recirculating a portion of your exhaust and running it through the combustion process again. This results in a cooler, more complete burn of the fuel which decreases you car's noxious emissions by prohibiting the formation of some harmful gases."

So one might expect the fuel to burn hotter and have less efficient burning (lower mpg) if you blank it off. Which toxic emissions they are talking about is anybodies guess.

Having said that, lots of people blank theirs off if the smoke out of the exhaust is too high for the MOT, so it probably isn't a terminal thing to do.
Recirculation reduces NOx emissions (oxides of Nitrogen), which means less acid rain - which before the legal imposition of NOx limits, saw large swathes of Scandinavian forests destroyed by leaf-burn.
Admittedly, most of the damage was done by heavy industry - but auto-engines also bore some responsibility.
Old Apr 27th, 2010, 22:10   #28
v_matt_v
Volvo Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by tykey View Post

I would argue with more efficient and complet burn of fuel. Exhaust fumes reduce the temperature of combustion reducing NOx emission and that's the only benefit (for environment only). More efficient fuel burning is achieved with air only but NOx is higher. Interestingly adding exhaust fumes increases CO2 emissions. That's why CAT is needed.
v_matt_v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27th, 2010, 22:28   #29
richardbell556

do the 2.5 d 2000 suffer like this ? if so what ,where how , photos if possible... thanks
richardbell556 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28th, 2010, 06:44   #30
ushes

I'd like to clean mine, its a 185bhp and the earlier comment suggests that it's not quite as easy as the 163. It looks pretty straightforward to me, what exactly are the differences, and why would it be more complicated?

Thanks
Steve
ushes is offline   Reply With Quote