Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

D4 VEA 'check engine' light / EGR fault thread

Views : 612083

Replies : 2692

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 14th, 2015, 19:57   #201
harvsurrey

premium diesels do sod all from what i have seen , and the premium petrol is debateable in petrol cars unless things are modified to suit .
Renault Clio 172 Cup
harvsurrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2015, 21:44   #202
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

There was a regular poster here, apologies I can't recall whom, but he did a few brim to brim comparisons over long distances on the same routes several times and he came to the objective conclusion that the benefit of the premium fuel was almost to small to measure but that the cost in the wallet was easily measurable.

I wish I could recall the exact detail as it was the only objective comparison that I have seen.

To my mind the belief in the advantages and consumption of these premium fuels only demonstrates the power of marketing.
Old May 14th, 2015, 21:56   #203
simonjedrake
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngloScot View Post
I had my first service 2 weeks ago. The car drives the same if not better (could be my imagination) than before the service. There is still plenty of "poke" and cruises effortlessly to 90 on the motorway. Lets hope it stays that way as we are driving to Edinburgh in a couple of weeks time.
This thread has some great points which are to a certain extent subjective on the VEA performance levels..........which can only really be experienced in the flesh. So as Arianne lives in Edinburgh and AngloScot is heading that way in several weeks how about trying each others motors out for a quick blast up a long hill.

I posted a comment several weeks ago that my gut feeling with Arianne's problems was as superbly explained by "the Tinkerman" at that stage - that of a vacuum hose effecting the small turbo solenoid.

You two boys just need to resolve this "subjective" feeling on the Road before this thread becomes the longest (and most interesting) thread on the whole VOC forum - even if just to extend this thread.

What can we call this event - "Turtles at Dawn on the A90"
Old May 14th, 2015, 22:39   #204

Here is a car to car comparison pre & post EGR mod, except it's the same car, on the same road, in the same conditions.

Pick up from idle in 4th gear (23 mph to 70 mph)

http://youtu.be/rEA2K0NemK4

In only 2 seconds the EGR mod has climbed 3mph, at the exact same point the pre mod car has doubled that and has increased by 6mph and it felt like double the punch too!

After 8 seconds: pre mod @ 60 mph & EGR mod only at 50 mph

After 10 seconds: pre mod @ 70 mph & EGR mod @ 57 mph

ps it's my Video and I was so blown away with pick up I taped it at 582 ODO miles, after the EGR mod I immediately knew it felt slower so I took it back and re ran the exact same test @ 6277 ODO Miles

It's the sort of thing us sad petrol heads do!

Last edited by 007; May 14th, 2015 at 23:53.
007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2015, 22:48   #205
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007 View Post
Here is a car to car comparison pre & post EGR mod, except it's the same car, on the same road, in the same conditions.

Pick up from idle in 4th gear (23 mph to 70 mph)

http://youtu.be/rEA2K0NemK4
Interesting comparison - but how did he know more than 4 weeks ago that this was going to become a problem and that he had to record a video showing the performance before it went in for service?

Surely not something that one would normally undertake?
Old May 14th, 2015, 22:54   #206
Flux
Premier Member

I thought exactly the same thing.

Maybe he knows more than we do!

It would never have occurred to me but would probably want to do it myself now knowing what we now know ( or don't know).
Old May 15th, 2015, 01:19   #207
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by harvsurrey View Post
premium diesels do sod all from what i have seen , and the premium petrol is debateable in petrol cars unless things are modified to suit .
V+ petrol adds 7mph to the top speed of the Honda Pan European. (139 mph)

My D5's feel and sound better running on V+ diesel. I'm getting 40 mpg from the XC90 and 44 mpg from the XC60. I'm not worried about mpg, the issue that worries me most is bio growth in the fuel tank, and I like the idea of keeping the DPF cleaner. That's a lot of what the V+ additive package is about for me.
Old May 15th, 2015, 01:45   #208
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Tinkerer View Post
I will do the pics -- hopefully over this coming weekend.

Unfortunately, it's almost impossible to say if (or how) reshaping the low-rpm torque curve would affect EGR operation on this specific engine, there are so many variables involved, from boost pressure, to fuel requirement, to particulate output, to the actual NOx emissions target.

That said, it easily should be possible for Volvo to balance the various needs and still have good driveability and throttle response. That's why the small turbo is there, to spin up quickly and deliver relatively high boost at low rpm, for good response.
This might help when they have the maps ready. Not going to go slower is it. http://www.polestar.com/intl/product...e-e-optimised/
Old May 15th, 2015, 13:24   #209

Have spoken to Polestar at length, they have very minimal power and torque gains for the D4 and they have stated their remap does not change the EGR in any way, I asked that given the sooting issues with the engine would they consider reducing or eliminating the EGR dosing and got a definitive 'NO'. My theory is that if you do get this map it may give you nearer the original performance but will also reinstate the sooting issue and reduce the time the EGR cooler will take to soot up again.

On the other hand I have also spoken to RICA at great length, they have had a D4 map out for some time with more palpable gains (I know someone running it who is very happy); but interestingly RICA are actively developing an EGR delete to enhance their offering in recognition of the sooting issues the D4 engine is having.

If Volvo do nothing, I think the only way to reinstate the original performance (or better) without clogging the engine/EGR cooler up will be with a map which reduces or eliminates the EGR usage (insurance & warranty considerations - ahem & environmental)

That's my thoughts & findings to date

ps I have also asked Volvo if they would give Polestar an EGR delete to at least give us a viable (in warranty) option - they declined to comment

Last edited by 007; May 15th, 2015 at 14:10.
007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2015, 14:26   #210
The Tinkerer
I've Been Banned

@007 - at the weekend, whip off your engine cover and have a poke around as I've described here: http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=229612
The Tinkerer is offline   Reply With Quote