Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V70 2008 is there any way to break window in emermgency?

Views : 1282

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 27th, 2020, 17:12   #1
Percival12

Default V70 2008 is there any way to break window in emermgency?

Hi All

We decided to buy a small glass breaking device to replace the glass hammer we had years ago, in case of extreme emergencies.

Now I discover that it won't work on laminated glass, and that our model (like most modern Volvos, I guess) has laminated glass, not toughened glass, in the side windows.

Is there any known way of breaking or removing the side window glass from Inside, in an emergency?

I hope never to face this kind of situation, but want to find out what the options are.

Thanks for any information.
Percival12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28th, 2020, 02:39   #2
Bashy
Aged Member

You have double glazed windows?
Old Feb 28th, 2020, 06:45   #3
dingov70
Master Member

I think you will find the windscreen is laminated , but the remaining glass is toughened . To check , simply lower your door glass and look along the top edge , if you can see a seam running the length of the glass it is laminated

This may make interesting reading
https://www.saint-gobain-sekurit.com...motive-glazing

hope it helps
Old Feb 28th, 2020, 09:10   #4
ksmi
Master Member

Cool

Do spring loaded centre punches break modern glass?

Regards,Keith.
Old Feb 28th, 2020, 10:10   #5
Percival12

Good morning and thanks to all for their input.

Thank you for the tip about the seam along the top. I have looked, and at first it looks as if there is a seam, but when I rub at it, it seems to vanish. I am not sure it's not just a "contact mark" where the window docks. Further research required!

My manual seems to indicate that the door windows are also laminated, but it has an asterisk, so it may just be an option. The previous owner might know, but it was a "company car" so he probably didn't do the ordering.

I was relying partly on the manual and partly on this site:

https://www.aaa.com/AAA/common/AAR/f...cape-Tools.pdf

Which clearly lists 2008 V70s as having "laminated non-windscreen OEM glass" in all four doors ... but this is a USA site and their models may be different there.

Re punch point tools, that is exactly what I was about to return to the supplier ... it states (inside, of course, not on the box) that it will not work on laminated glass. It's only a small device, but there are sites for road rescue operators which more or less say, if you can't lever a laminated window out of its seals, you are stuck ...

I now have an enquiry out with a Volvo dealer, who also doesn't know (there are so many variants) but is going to check with his tech team.

Re double glazing, I have found in the past (the hard way ...) that home door glazing I thought was laminated was in fact only toughened and shattered nicely. The guy who repaired it tells me that is normal!

So my particular jury is still out here. If we find it's toughened glass we keep the punch tool, if it's laminated, it goes back. I thought I had the right information on what kind of glass yesterday, but "now I am not so sure".

The question of what can break laminated glass still remains outstanding :-)
Percival12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28th, 2020, 12:12   #6
Tatsfield
Premier Member

If you look at the side windows they will have information printed on them to identify the glass type. This information print is known in the trade as a glass "bug"

The rain obscured detail reads DOT.

This is my side window which is not laminated.

The codes are not comprehensive and mine actually doesn't seem to say the make up of the actual glass but if you get the information off your windows and look here:
https://info.glass.com/decoding-car-windshield-bug/
you can ask them to de-code your "bug".
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Vovo Glass.jpg (68.2 KB, 21 views)
Old Feb 28th, 2020, 17:00   #7
apersson850
Premier Member

Laminated glass in the side and rear windows is indicated with a small hammer symbol in the marking.
This is an option you ordered when the car was new. I have it in my car. You can still hammer yourself through the glass, but instead of one punch you have to go on with it for a while.
apersson850 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 29th, 2020, 08:15   #8
green van man
Premier Member

You can break laminated glass but it needs a proper hammer rather than one of the break glass tools.

Laminated glass is 2 layers of glass with a plastic membrane between them, to break it the blow or blows must be heavy enough to first break the glass both sides of the membrane and then the membrane must be broken, either by repeated blunt force traumer or cutting with a blade.

Found this out years ago trying to remove a damaged screen from a rally car.

Perhaps a lump hammer and Stanley knife under the seat.

I would be sure to label them rescue equipment though as you don't want to be accused of going equipped if stopped for some reason.

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 29th, 2020, 08:39   #9
Bashy
Aged Member

You could always ask a PDR tech to come and remove a dent from that door, pretty much guaranteed it will break, trust me, i know, the amount of S Class windws we brok when they came out with laminated windows, then Citroen did so on some of their Executives, not cheap windows lol

I would safe smash it a goodun with a decent hammer in the corners, then work your way in, onces smashed sufficiently enough, lay down on ya back and boot it with both, should pop it out...
Old Mar 2nd, 2020, 13:09   #10
ShadeTek
Premier Member

Some cars you take the headrest off and use the stanchion to break the window. Used to effect in the TV prog, "The Replacement".

V70 SE NAV 1.6 D2 2015MY POWERSHIFT, D4162T, 86000miles, RED.
/VOL FCR/PEPER OBD2/Acron 9135 OBD2/L.E.D Flasher/VDASH/ANCEL BA301
ShadeTek is offline   Reply With Quote