Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

2013 V40 Pricelist

Views : 1961

Replies : 29

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 12th, 2012, 01:36   #21
volvorocks
Rodney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thom12 View Post
Will they bring out a saloon version? i.e. a new S40?

I think it would be sad for this to be the end of the S40 ...

I plan on changing my car by the end of the year and right now it's between a C-Class and the S80. I know they are completely different cars but i like both.

I think the V40 looks great but it has a striking similarity to the Focus and one of the new Hyudais, not sure which one it is though.
i30?...and the i30 is half the price and probably more reliable and better built?...along with a better warranty

Regards

Last edited by volvorocks; Apr 12th, 2012 at 01:39.
volvorocks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to volvorocks For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 12th, 2012, 02:35   #22
SonyVaio
VOC Member

The i30 certainly doesn't boast the features that the V40 has but they do look like they they could have come from the same drawing board. Although they do sit on completely different platforms.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg NewV40-i30.JPG (54.9 KB, 12 views)
SonyVaio is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SonyVaio For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 12th, 2012, 04:19   #23
volvorocks
Rodney

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonyVaio View Post
The i30 certainly doesn't boast the features that the V40 has but they do look like they they could have come from the same drawing board. Although they do sit on completely different platforms.

Agree....although.....

16k i30
26k v40

....??????????????????

Regards
volvorocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12th, 2012, 12:13   #24
tayandre

Quote:
Theoretically with the way the PowerShift box works with its dual wet clutches and smooth constant power delivery it should be every bit as economical as the manual.

With one clutch working 1,3,5 and revese and the other working gears 2,4 and 6, as the car accelerates in 1stgear, second is already at the ready and as clutch one disengages clutch two engages with the new gear. This offers the seamless transfer from one gear to the next and you have not got the excess revving/changes thus saving in on fuel that a normal auto box would waste.

They reckon you loose about 6% in efficiency with wet clutches vs manual. They slip by design so will always be less efficient than a dry clutch. If you look at VW/Audi DSG it's the same, wet clutch version is thirstier/slower/dirtier and 7-speed dry clutch is faster/more economical/ cleaner than a manual.

I can see that on my car, if you do 80ish on the m-way economy will be high 30s/low 40s. Slowing down by 5 mph results in a 5-10 MPG improvement, the cause is the wet clutch that's slipping away power the higher the speed goes.
Old Apr 12th, 2012, 12:20   #25
tayandre

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvorocks View Post
i30?...and the i30 is half the price and probably more reliable and better built?...along with a better warranty

Yeah it does look kinda similar, agree with you on warranty, build, etc. However, desirability is the big deciding factor and no, a Hyundai doesn't do it for me. Certainly I agree it's the logical choice and probably a better product pound for pound but I just couldn't.

A very good example of quality vs grade.
Old Apr 12th, 2012, 12:45   #26
SonyVaio
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvorocks View Post
Agree....although.....

16k i30
26k v40

....??????????????????

Regards
It is just the same as you can get a Skoda to look like an VW/Audi (Octavia) but it will never actually be a VW/Audi - although Skoda is a cracking car these days - even classed as luxury cars in China.

You get what you pay for, do you really think you'll be 10k happier in the i30 with build, feel and toys?? My money would still be on the Volvo in this particular instance.

Old Apr 12th, 2012, 12:50   #27
SonyVaio
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tayandre View Post
They reckon you loose about 6% in efficiency with wet clutches vs manual. They slip by design so will always be less efficient than a dry clutch. If you look at VW/Audi DSG it's the same, wet clutch version is thirstier/slower/dirtier and 7-speed dry clutch is faster/more economical/ cleaner than a manual.

I can see that on my car, if you do 80ish on the m-way economy will be high 30s/low 40s. Slowing down by 5 mph results in a 5-10 MPG improvement, the cause is the wet clutch that's slipping away power the higher the speed goes.
I agree.

Although Volvo have put ina a great deal of time, money and effort to increase the efficiency of its PowerShift and it is not just a clone. An article I read just the other day was all about the Volvo powershift being similar to the early powershift types of other manufacturers but with far better efficency and performance.

Old Apr 12th, 2012, 13:05   #28
Volvorforlife
Master Member

Quote:
It is just the same as you can get a Skoda to look like an VW/Audi (Octavia) but it will never actually be a VW/Audi - although Skoda is a cracking car these days - even classed as luxury cars in China.

You get what you pay for, do you really think you'll be 10k happier in the i30 with build, feel and toys?? My money would still be on the Volvo in this particular instance.

The Seat Toledo is an old Audi A4 Same quality as the Audi was 7 years ago but behind what they are like now.

I have driven a Scoda Superb and it was a lovely car to drive with great build. Just not a fan of the interior but that's because I love Volvo interiors even if the C30 lacks in build quality.
62reg Land Rover Discovery 4 HSE
Volvorforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12th, 2012, 14:00   #29
tayandre

Quote:
Volvo powershift being similar to the early powershift types of other manufacturers but with far better efficency and performance.

If you look at the S/V60 yeah they have kept MPG and CO2 the same as the manual but at the expense of performance, 0-62 takes almost two seconds more. All the other Powershift Volvo's, mine included, are slower/thirstier/dirtier than a manual and by quite a bit.

An example of effieciency gains are VWs 7-speed DSG and BMW and Merc 7 and 8 speed conventional autos. Those acheive improvments in economy, CO2 and performance over a 6-speed manual rather than being the expense of one of them.

I'm sure I could make my car more ecomical and lower CO2 if I go slower, that's all Volvo have done on the S/V60 D2.
Old Apr 14th, 2012, 17:02   #30
colinstone

Luggage space is pretty small - 335/1032 - which less than 2011 BMW 1 series at 360/1200. D2 SE vs 116d ED to same spec is marginally cheaper - £24295/£24685 (but good BMW military discount of £3.5k to come off) but will be stung by exorbitant servicing costs - at least BMW do 5yrs for £300, so that all dealer s/h cars have a full history. At £60 a year it is not worth getting DIY fingers dirty!!
Blond leather interior has gone the cheap route of just seats and door cards - carpets/dash remain dark.

Runout V50 with 20% off was a steal!!

Ho hum.
colinstone is offline   Reply With Quote