Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

C30 leak in boot - spare wheel holder?

Views : 824

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 17th, 2018, 23:24   #1
benk103

Default C30 leak in boot - spare wheel holder?

Hi guys, apologies if there's already some info on this but as I'm not 100% sure what the thing is actually called I struggled to find anything!

I've had a 2011 R Design for about a month now, and noticed some moisture in the boot the other day - not a lot, but enough to be annoying. Before work this morning I lifted the boot floor and looked around the spare wheel holder (well, what would be a spare wheel holder if it had one). There's a plastic type screw in each corner - i undid those and could see there's some water between that and the metal of the boot floor.

What's the best way to go about removing it to clean up the water that's there, or to try and find where it's coming from? For example do the rear seats need to be removed to get it out? And if anyone has had any experience of moisture in their boot and how they sorted it I'd be grateful to hear from you.

Thanks
benk103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18th, 2018, 11:30   #2
kmb

Not sure about the C30, but rear lights on Hondas used to usually be the culprit... Best tactic is get in the boot, shut the tailgate and get a friend to hose the outside, searching with a paper towel for water ingress.
kmb is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kmb For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 18th, 2018, 13:52   #3
Markos01

Get some silicon spray on the boot's rubber seal all around the hatch and give it a good clean too. You might spot a tear or the clean might help make the seal wtareproof IF the water is coming from there.
Old Dec 18th, 2018, 19:14   #4
benk103

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markos01 View Post
Get some silicon spray on the boot's rubber seal all around the hatch and give it a good clean too. You might spot a tear or the clean might help make the seal wtareproof IF the water is coming from there.
Unsurprisingly it's been raining in West Yorkshire today, and it's happened again. Seems to be getting in around that panel that comes off in the boot (I think to be able to access the bulbs in the rear light). Could it be a new light that's needed perhaps? I'll give your idea of giving it all a good clean a go too Markos - certainly won't do any harm
Old Dec 18th, 2018, 20:54   #5
Markos01

Quote:
Originally Posted by benk103 View Post
Unsurprisingly it's been raining in West Yorkshire today, and it's happened again. Seems to be getting in around that panel that comes off in the boot (I think to be able to access the bulbs in the rear light). Could it be a new light that's needed perhaps? I'll give your idea of giving it all a good clean a go too Markos - certainly won't do any harm
Keep us posted!
Old Dec 21st, 2018, 10:01   #6
benk103

So it looks like I may have found the issue (hopefully the picture has worked on the post).

At the top of the boot there's what I'd describe as two corrugated rubber pipes which I assume cover wires etc. The end attached to the car (not the boot lid) isn't fitted into the hole properly. I've had a quick go at trying to put it back in but it seems too short (obviously it isn't...)

Any tips on how to get it seated in its hole properly?
Attached Images
File Type: gif boot.gif (131.5 KB, 16 views)
Old Dec 21st, 2018, 11:47   #7
andy_d
Premier Member

patience , fiddling and patience unfortunately
The Following User Says Thank You to andy_d For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 21st, 2018, 13:52   #8
benk103

Yeah, I feared that would be the answer!