Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Dash cam?

Views : 890

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 28th, 2018, 18:08   #1
Tony500
Master Member

Default Dash cam?

Looking to hook up my V70 with dash cams. Want one for the front and rear screens. My rear windows have been tinted and I never use my rear wiper.... Not sure if that will interfere with the image quality of the camera if I was to get an internal one. So possibly an external one? Something that sits in the same mould as the registration light holder. The front cam as descrete as possible not fussed with a screen.

What do people recomend and best place to route the wires and take a power feed from.

Many thanks.
Tony500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28th, 2018, 19:44   #2
Stephen2015
S60 D5244T4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony500 View Post
Looking to hook up my V70 with dash cams. Want one for the front and rear screens. My rear windows have been tinted and I never use my rear wiper.... Not sure if that will interfere with the image quality of the camera if I was to get an internal one. So possibly an external one? Something that sits in the same mould as the registration light holder. The front cam as descrete as possible not fussed with a screen.

What do people recomend and best place to route the wires and take a power feed from.

Many thanks.
This is something we would like to do with our XC70 and looking forward to any advise from members who have fitted and to what model to go for, and have been happy with their own dash cam performance.
Stephen2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28th, 2018, 22:42   #3
Puffster

I have a K1S Dual Cam in one of my cars. Cameras about the size of a snooker chalk with a remote central unit. The rear cam is inside tinted glass and inside the sweep of the rear wiper. Doesn't really impact vision. What I would say is that in wet conditions spray would impact the quality of your camera if its external more than internal. I have a reversing cam that I can view whilst driving in the number-plate light and its totally unviewable in wet weather and gets covered with muck quite quickly.

Search on here for Fuse piggyback wire connectors/dashcams and where to put them.

I find rear wipers very useful as I like to see what idiots are doing behind me, especially before manoeuvring, not just rely on wing mirrors.
The Following User Says Thank You to Puffster For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 30th, 2018, 19:37   #4
Spike56
Master Member

Nextbase do a model 512? It can be bought with front and rear which record in sync.
Spike56 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Spike56 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 30th, 2018, 20:59   #5
Waynedance

I have the Nextbaee 512 with the optional rear camera.

Works very well, not the cheapest but you get what you pay for.
Old Dec 3rd, 2018, 03:18   #6
Tony500
Master Member

I've read many reviews on the nextbase with the duo camera and people have mixed reviews. Seen makes I've not seen before that are more expensive and get better reviews.
Can you see numberplates clear with the nextbase cams? Seen a few on Facebook and it was hard to make out the letters ect.

Thanks
Old Dec 3rd, 2018, 08:45   #7
Waynedance

Not got the Duo, got the 512 with the separate rear plugged into the main front camera.

I can play back recordings and pause to see the number plates.
Old Dec 15th, 2018, 22:33   #8
Tony500
Master Member

Just an update... I've ended up buying a Garmin 55 as that looks the best for me. Seems like the best they do considering its there middle spec one as the 65 is only 1080p and the 55 is 1440p.
As for the rear camera I think will give that a miss atm as I think my windows are too dark....

Have not fitted yet but will report back and let others know my experience.

Thanks
Old Dec 17th, 2018, 21:14   #9
Chris308

I have a nextbase 312GW with the hard wire kit. The wiring was simple to stash under the plastic cover behind the mirror, under the headlining and down the rubber seal by the passenger door trim, under the carpet to the fuse box. I fastened the earth to one of the bolt fixings under there that was earthed. The whole process took under an hour and it's very neat.

The hard wire kit comes with a replacement fuse adapter but unfortunately it is too tall to allow the fuse box cover to be fitted back on properly without some cutting.
Chris308 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Chris308 For This Useful Post: