Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Warranty / Service Plans

Views : 771

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 17th, 2018, 20:24   #1
davB

Default Warranty / Service Plans

Probably a silly question but are there separate warranty and service plans?

My XC60 is three years old next April and I assume that marks the end of both warranty and 'free' services.

Will I get some sort of reminder from Volvo nearer April, or is it expected I do this myself - and if so when do I start the process?
davB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17th, 2018, 23:30   #2
Whyman
Premier Member

Right about the warranty but there were 3 and 5 year service plans so you might be in luck. Surely you have some paperwork?

If all else fails Check with the dealer who should be able to tell you.
Old Dec 18th, 2018, 10:36   #3
iandoot

I got a reminder from Volvo before my warranty ended. You have to purchase the warranty before the 3 years is up and you get two options depending upon your anticipated mileage.

Be very careful if you go with the Volvo Warranty, it’s not all it’s cracked up to be. Check exclusions. See earlier thread on adaptive bending headlights.
Old Dec 18th, 2018, 11:33   #4
Stevepvolvo

Worth checking these threads on the subjects

Extended warranty options - https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=287308

Challenges with invoking the "Volvo" extended warranty - https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=289322

Service Plans - https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=267556

My xc60 is 3 years old at the end of this month and I was considering the extended warranty. Having had the excellent and highly informative information from members of this forum I am now very unsure if I will take one as my reasoning was due to having the "shadow technology" headlamps which I can imagine are expensive if they fail. I was definitely leaning towards the "Volvo" warranty but from the above thread, am disappointed that it is not as robust as the "real" volvo warranty and has resulted in the member having to fight for a headlamp (not bulb) failure
Stevepvolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stevepvolvo For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 21st, 2018, 09:28   #5
Mick787

My car has just passed the three year old marker by a few days. When I bought it 1.5 years ago I bought a 5 year service plan with the dealership, but my understanding is that the plan only covers the cost of servicing and certainly not cover on other components.
Despite having registered with 'My Volvo,' I've heard nothing about the warranty coming to an end and being offered an extension. I agree whole heartedly about the comments our friend is having over the experience with a failure of the active bending headlight unit on his vehicle and would therefore tread carefully if Volvo chose to try and get my business re extending any warranty on the car. I'm just wondering if a warranty is a worthwhile purchase given all the get 'out clauses' such companies seem to get great joy in quoting.
Mick787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21st, 2018, 10:22   #6
iandoot

The problem is that when things go wrong, and sadly they seem to go wrong quite often with my car, the component costs appear to be expensive. I am in my second year of extended warranty. In the first year I had an aircon compressor failure that needed to be replaced. At the time my warranty cost £480 for the year and this work cost in excess of £1,200. Hopefully I get my headlight issue resolved, these works will again be over £1,200.

Despite the problems I am having, the idea of paying out £1,200 sends shivers down my spine and personally i'm not prepared to take the risk of not being covered.

I purchased the Volvo warranty thinking it would offer greater cover than some of the other providers out there but this now does not appear to be the case. The only benefit I can see with the Volvo warranty is that when something goes wrong, and it is covered, Volvo sort it all out rather than you having to make a claim.
Old Dec 21st, 2018, 10:33   #7
I Feel Old

I've just picked up my 3 month old XC60 with 171 miles on the clock. When I asked about a service plan I was advised they are not available on used cars.

Last edited by I Feel Old; Dec 21st, 2018 at 10:36.
I Feel Old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21st, 2018, 16:45   #8
MikeGMT
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Feel Old View Post
I've just picked up my 3 month old XC60 with 171 miles on the clock. When I asked about a service plan I was advised they are not available on used cars.
Might be of help. https://www.volvocars.com/uk/own/mai...-service-plans
MikeGMT is offline   Reply With Quote