Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V70 2008 vibration/wobble

Views : 3106

Replies : 36

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 5th, 2018, 08:10   #11
Viljam

Hi,

Drive shafts I have replaced lately, new ones OEM. Before was extra vibration, when I was accelerating. This is gone now.

I will check this week wheels and give feedback.

There is no any sound anywhere, just a little wobble all the time. I lift up front and shacked the both wheels up-down, left-right and spinning, but no problem noticed.... I'm not sure about bearings... Or it can still be?

May it be something from suspension?

Thanks!
Viljam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9th, 2018, 20:40   #12
Viljam

Hi,

I lifted up car and carefully checked tires and wheels again, didn't see any problems. Nothing...

I were wondering, is my car equipped with some brake pressure sensor for the reason if there load in the trunk, than rear brakes are braking more? Maybe this sensor is faulty? Do anybody knows? Is made the picture of some suspicious item on the axle.

Or anybody have any other ideas?

Thank you!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20181108_145226.jpg (126.2 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20181108_145309.jpg (172.8 KB, 18 views)
Old Nov 9th, 2018, 22:41   #13
tommyweaves
Premier Member

What is the frequency of the wobble? Is it like an unbalanced wheel front wheel, but without the vibration in the steering wheel? Does it only happen at specific speeds, like you say 40kmh and 110kmh?
tommyweaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10th, 2018, 10:46   #14
ShadeTek
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyweaves View Post
What is the frequency of the wobble? Is it like an unbalanced wheel front wheel, but without the vibration in the steering wheel? Does it only happen at specific speeds, like you say 40kmh and 110kmh?
Does the wobble increase with speed?

Are any of the brake discs hotter than the others after a run? I say that as when I used to get binding brake calipers, the car would shake at higher speeds as things heated up.

V70 SE NAV 1.6 D2 2015MY POWERSHIFT, D4162T, 86000miles, RED.
/VOL FCR/PEPER OBD2/Acron 9135 OBD2/L.E.D Flasher/VDASH/ANCEL BA301
ShadeTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10th, 2018, 13:01   #15
taxi driver

I had a front wheel bearing problem and I can confirm that there was no noise from either bearing. You cannot feel any play when the front of the car is not under load. The steering wheel did not vibrate but I could feel vibration in the floor pan. Also check for uneven wear in rear tyres. My Volvo had Michelin tyres all round, the car did not like these on the rear. Hope this helps.
taxi driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10th, 2018, 18:36   #16
Viljam

Hi again,

I can feel wobble on very slow speeds (20km/h) and up to the high speeds (140km/h). It feels more even on the slow speeds (20-80km/h), the frequency not changing at all during increasing the speed. It feels more bumpy, like I'm driving over small items on the road. Not so much lift-right vibration.

I measured with the laser-tool the temperature of different wheels brake rotors and parts, but no more difference than 8-10 degrees. Seems like normal to me.

As I understand the Taxi driver, I must go on with front wheel bearing replacement. I feel also vibration in the floor pan, but not in steering wheel. I would like to be sure somehow before changing the front bearings... But finally I guess I need to change them, because I can't give up

Tires and wheels are perfect condition, checked and controlled many times at different places.

Thank you again!
Old Nov 10th, 2018, 18:45   #17
Max HEADVROOM

hi all.

im noticing a vibration too but only after 50mph and only under throttle... it seems to go when i come off the throttle..

it feels like an unbalanced tyre but i get no shake at the steering wheel and i can feel it in the floor pan and the frequency of the shake gets higher with speed.

drive shaft or wheel bearing maybe?

Al.
Max HEADVROOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10th, 2018, 19:39   #18
ShadeTek
Premier Member

If the frequency of vibration does not change as the car speed increases, suggests it is not roadwheel, axle or even engine or geabox related! Is it exactly the same wobble frequency at all speeds?

V70 SE NAV 1.6 D2 2015MY POWERSHIFT, D4162T, 86000miles, RED.
/VOL FCR/PEPER OBD2/Acron 9135 OBD2/L.E.D Flasher/VDASH/ANCEL BA301
ShadeTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10th, 2018, 22:56   #19
Max HEADVROOM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadeTek View Post
If the frequency of vibration does not change as the car speed increases, suggests it is not roadwheel, axle or even engine or geabox related! Is it exactly the same wobble frequency at all speeds?
no, it changes frequency with speed and feels like an unbalanced wheel, BUT it stops when i back off the throttle, so its deffo not wheel balance or it would vibrate all the time.

iv also notices that its more prominent if im on a left hand radius but then calms down when im straight, so somethings amiss
Max HEADVROOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10th, 2018, 23:25   #20
tommyweaves
Premier Member

Max, you're confusing things now. The frequency question was directed at the OP, are you now adding your own symptoms?
tommyweaves is offline   Reply With Quote