Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

the colder weather is here - question about boost

Views : 738

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 9th, 2005, 21:48   #1
bobcat
Premier Member

Default the colder weather is here - question about boost

As im sure you all aware the air temps are getting colder and our cars are able to make more boost.

the below question is more directed at adam than anyone else,

as you know i have an 18t and a 15g map, i run my wgate a bit tighter but not much. recently when going to WOT quickly my boost is rising to 19/20 and then fades slowly.

at 19/20 i get a feeling like when you hit the rpm limiter, it a juddering. is the the ecu boost limit being reached, running lean or a sign of poor stage zero (i have some ht leads ready to fit as mine are original i think).

any ideas.
Volvo 850R Auto,173K,Bobcat\SW Autos Ecu,18T,Reverse IC,13 Row Engine Oil Cooler,39 Row ATF Cooler,20psi VDO Boost Gauge,6000k HID's (low), Osram 50% Silverstars (High),ITG Filter,OEM Strutbrace,Aerial Down Switch,302mm Front Discs,Ferodo DS2500 Front/Rear,Goodridge SS Hoses,Koni Adjustable Dampers,Eibach Pro Kit, Powerflex Control Arm Bushes, Clear Side Repeaters.
http://www.swautos.co.uk
SW Auto's Ebay Shop
http://www.volvo-tech.co.uk
bobcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9th, 2005, 22:09   #2
adieu
Master Member

Default RE: the colder weather is here - question about boost

Good question Bob, I know my car feels quicker with the colder weather coming. Can we all expect similair problems? Maybe Don could answer for the MTE/TME owners.

Regards

Iain

A turbo: Exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster
adieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9th, 2005, 22:22   #3
Dan F
Premier Member

Hi.

A properly mapped car should retain the original programs ability to compensate for climate and altitude.

As the density of air entering the engine is increased by the lower ambient temps, intake temps in turn will be a fair bit lower before it even hits the turbo, therefore the ECU should actually reduce boost a little to compensate, as less boost will be required to produce the same results.

Dan.
Dan F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9th, 2005, 22:34   #4
volvotuning

Hi Matt,

In fairness I don't know for sure because of the changes you made. Probably the best thing to do would be to drop in at some point so we can check what it is. It may be an overboost, or it may be ignition retard, or indeed something else entirely. If you are concerned, then best to give us a call and bring the car down.

Adam.