Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Dumb question I suppose

Views : 785

Replies : 18

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 25th, 2018, 12:44   #11
Dancake
Premier Member

You can jack hubs up no problem and they won't roll. Even the steering limiter arms can be used without issue. I would be more reluctant to jack a car up on it's ball joint or suspension arm because of the pressures involved, especially if the suspension arms are aluminium. Ball joints aren't designed to be used as jacking points. Neither are hubs for that matter, but I know which one I'd rather use.
Dancake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25th, 2018, 13:33   #12
green van man
Premier Member

My trolley jack has a cup that sits around the ball joint rather than on it if it comes to that but Volvo arms in my experienceare pressed steel with the ball joint rivited to the outer end. Supporting the arm on this outer end wether by block of wood or jack would I'm sure cause no damage. Having done so many times on many cars over the last 40 years I have yet to encounter a case where jacking on the arm caused damage. The only time I jack or support on the chassis or body is if work is to be carried out on the suspension.

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25th, 2018, 15:02   #13
DaveNP
Non VOC Member

For the purpose of advising someone on a forum who's mechanical apptitude we don't really know, and for anyone else who reads this in future-

If you've got ramps use them, the car will be sitting on its wheels and will not end up slipping off of an ad-hoc jack location.

Yes we may all have successfully done odd things with two jacks but enough of us have probably also had jacks slip, advising someone on a forum to do some ad-hoc jacking probably isn't the best idea.

Apologies to thse affronted by the big font but I think it's important but didn't want to shout in block caps or go angry in red

David
V70 2.5 10v Torslanda Manual 98 Sreg
DaveNP is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DaveNP For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 25th, 2018, 15:22   #14
ThomasG
Aka MadBabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveNP View Post
For the purpose of advising someone on a forum who's mechanical apptitude we don't really know, and for anyone else who reads this in future-

If you've got ramps use them, the car will be sitting on its wheels and will not end up slipping off of an ad-hoc jack location.

Yes we may all have successfully done odd things with two jacks but enough of us have probably also had jacks slip, advising someone on a forum to do some ad-hoc jacking probably isn't the best idea.

Apologies to thse affronted by the big font but I think it's important but didn't want to shout in block caps or go angry in red
Good point, this one..
Somehow, without thinking, I tend to assume that whoever I'm talking to- he's got some mechanical knowledge, and at least enough imagination to figure out that car is heavy. And if it drops.. Lucky to loose only hands.
ThomasG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ThomasG For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 25th, 2018, 19:25   #15
Dippydog
Premier Member

Just so we're clear I do have some mechanical aptitude.I've removed/stripped/rebuilt/reinstalled engines and manual gearboxes.I've also done all sorts of brake work and much other stuff.But oddly I've never had much dealings with suspension parts.Like most[I suppose]when I was young and stupid-as opposed to being just stupid now-I've been under cars that were supported more by prayer than any physical means and got away with it.Nowadays it use more of a belt and braces approach to such things such as leaving the jack in place as well as using the axle stands,so while the jack approach is not something that had occurred to me I reckon it'll be the up on ramps approach I'll use Not be this week though given the forecast
Dippydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25th, 2018, 19:51   #16
DaveNP
Non VOC Member

No offence intended and it's really up to the individual how they do it, I just felt we were getting a bit liberal with our jack use. As I said we've probably all done something like it but recommending it to others is rather risky, I just didn't fancy reading your next post (or anyone else's) about getting squished doing up wishbone bolts.

David
V70 2.5 10v Torslanda Manual 98 Sreg
DaveNP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25th, 2018, 20:04   #17
blueblock

Perhaps we need a new 'your car lifting safety tips' thread for all this but for front work, a pair of chocks (just good solid 12" pieces of wood with a wedge on them will do) behind the rear wheels is a good safety measure, especially if you've run the car up on ramps, and leaving the car in gear/park if it's RWD. If I take wheels off I also put them under the raised part of the car so that if all else falls I have something about the height of my chest to catch it.
blueblock is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to blueblock For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 26th, 2018, 06:37   #18
green van man
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveNP View Post

Not offended in the least.

I confess to thinking anyone asking for advise in this sections on a how to do matter at least knows one end of a spanner from another and having received advise on how others do it is able to decide wether their capabilities are up to the job.

The OP was confident enough to change the wishbones, it was only the final torqueing of the fixing bolts he had a question on. I gave how I did it as did others. I am sure he is able to work out a method he is happy with from the answers he has been given.

Maybe in this latigious age the club should ban the giving of advise upon its forum to avoid the possibility of someone doing something silly and getting hurt. We legislate to protect the inept and incompetent in working life, why change for our hobbies.

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26th, 2018, 07:39   #19
canis
Non Fragile

No, let's not ban that. Just because common-sense and personal responsibility is a dimishing concept, let's not give either of those things up just yet. In fact, I think the reverse is true - if somebody asks advice and isn't given any, and then injures themselves, that neglect wouldn't sit comfortably with me.

Jacking a car safely is a topic on it's own. The scope of this thread is suspension bushings. Any procedure is dependant on other procedures being followed. I mean, what if he trips on his way to the jack? Before attempting to jack the vehicle, first ensure your shoe-laces are correctly tied as trips and falls cause 'x' percentage of all accidents, especially within three miles of home, and particularly in the bathroom, and always keep car-jacks away from children...

Just be careful, take no risks. There's no risk involved. If it's risky, find another method. :-)
canis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to canis For This Useful Post: