Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Steering wheel is not straight while driving

Views : 3458

Replies : 32

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 16th, 2018, 17:48   #11
oragex
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvolv View Post
Did you pay £40 for all 4 wheels or just the front?

Just thinking if I should go for the full wheel alignment or just the front.

Front only should be fine. But you may want to inspect as others say, the condition of the wishbones bushes - use only Lemforder for replacement.
Old Feb 16th, 2018, 19:54   #12
volvolv

I couldn't inspect anything. So the garage did wheel alignment and now I don't have to hold the steering wheel to the right anymore, now I have to hold the steering wheel just a bit, again just a bit to the left side. Funny isn't?

I think I have noticed the movement of the steering wheel after the garage did welding on the front suspension. You can see my original topic.. maybe that was the problem.

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showt...64#post2370064
volvolv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16th, 2018, 20:32   #13
davebb
Premier Member

Hi the car has 4 wheel adjustment , you do need to look at all 4 as if the rear is out it will steer the car wrong, and yes the steering wheel can go off centre
Dave
davebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17th, 2018, 09:07   #14
Phillg1986

You need a 4 wheel alignment done at a decent garage. The rears are adjusted first and then the front aligned to the rears. Dont use any of the quick fix garages. Go to alignmycar.co.uk and find a decent independant that uses a hunter machine
Phillg1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Phillg1986 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 17th, 2018, 19:01   #15
Leyburn

Are the tyres wearing evenly?

Be wary of National Tyres, their competence varies from branch to branch.
Leyburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18th, 2018, 00:06   #16
volvolv

How do I check if the tyres are wearing evenly?

I am considering to do wheel alignment again for all tyres, but not sure if that would fix the problem.

p.s. last summer another garage also fixed steering wheel issues (noise, vibration etc.) where they took off the steering rag (not sure what's called correctly). Then I slightly felt that is not something right, but didn't pay attention to that.

The car is 14 years old, perhaps I should just accept as it is now and someday change my car, for the student years is still better than driving nothing.

So my conclusion is that the welding, steering rag and age of the car is the reason why the steering wheel is off the centre.

Last edited by volvolv; Feb 18th, 2018 at 00:12.
Old Feb 18th, 2018, 05:49   #17
Phillg1986

I just think it wasnt aligned very well, its hard to find a good place that takes the time to get it all perfect! Trust me I have had it so many times! Even one drop in centre who only adjusted the passenger tie rod as the other was seized but didnt think to mention it would need further work or replacent, not until I returned with a wonky steering wheel, the soon got it free'd up tho
Cheers
Phill
Phillg1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18th, 2018, 09:35   #18
Leyburn

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvolv View Post
How do I check if the tyres are wearing evenly?

I am considering to do wheel alignment again for all tyres, but not sure if that would fix the problem.

p.s. last summer another garage also fixed steering wheel issues (noise, vibration etc.) where they took off the steering rag (not sure what's called correctly). Then I slightly felt that is not something right, but didn't pay attention to that.

The car is 14 years old, perhaps I should just accept as it is now and someday change my car, for the student years is still better than driving nothing.

So my conclusion is that the welding, steering rag and age of the car is the reason why the steering wheel is off the centre.
Measure tread depth inner, centre and outer

Last edited by Leyburn; Feb 18th, 2018 at 09:36. Reason: Big image removed!
Leyburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23rd, 2018, 15:37   #19
volvolv

I can't really say about the tyres wearing yet as I haven't driven that much since I put them on.

Checked with guys in the garage that did the front wheel alignment, they said the reason for steering wheel off the centre. It could be numerous of different factors suspension, tyres etc.

I read this in another forum "undo the nut holding the wheel on, put wheel where you want it, tighten the nut. " interesting if this would solve the problem.
People seem to do this and it works for them.

I would like to try different options before I take the car again to some garage and pay £30 or even more to do 10 min job.

Last edited by volvolv; Feb 23rd, 2018 at 15:45.
Old Feb 23rd, 2018, 15:53   #20
ThomasG
Aka MadBabs

Not a 10 minute job.
And if its a dodgy wrench juggler, you may end up with airbags error codes.
Which in turn would need Vida, either some friendly Volvo owner who has one, or much more expensive dealer/indie.

I'd treat that as "last resort" option.

Then, I take it you had front alignment done already.
Rid they tell you/did you ask how much off was it?
Was there any improvement after?

When is your MOT?
If sometime soon, make sure you go to station where you can be with your car and ask questions whilst it's being checked.
I do that every year, gives me feedback on what is getting even slightly worn, what passes MOT but will need changing soon etc.

Ask them to pay a little more attention to steering rack, roll bar, bushes on suspension arms.

Normal garage may or may not have machinery to pull wheels sideways etc in order to check bushings properly.
MOT station will.

Edit:
For a while I was thinking about changing my car. Long story, people here know I've been asking many questions as to what's the best choice. The idea is resting on the shelf for now. Bit I'll come back to it.

Anyway, I asked my MOT centre could I bring my potential buy (within test drive) to station and would they be willing to look it over, a bit like an MOT without paperwork, checking stuff that I would have difficulty getting to..
They agreed. Never came to me using this, but it was all set.
Maybe you could pop to one and ask them to check the suspension/steering for you?
Choose station that won't do repairs, only MOT:
One thing is they will have no incentive to tell you something needs changing (and they can take care of it, of course)
And other, I can't imagine an MOT tester who wouldn't like to earn a tenner or two that he wouldn't have to share with DVLA..

Last edited by ThomasG; Feb 23rd, 2018 at 16:03.
ThomasG is offline   Reply With Quote