Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Diesel in Spain etc

Views : 580

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 22nd, 2018, 20:57   #1
xsaab
Master Member

Default Diesel in Spain etc

Last year we had a 2 week tour of part of the NW corner of Spain, it was so good that we are planning to return to the general area and go further south to Portugal.

A question left over from last year is using the pumps dispensing diesel several questions.

There were several grades of diesel at filling stations with different names, (Shell stations were not available when I wanted to fill up - only Spanish brands) so what is the name or type of diesel one should use in a XC60 (typically used to being pampered with V-Power)

On the pumps were a collection of pre-select buttons that had something to do with the quantity to be dispensed - how are they to be used - I think one can dispense fuel until full without selecting a quantity button. Is my assumption correct.

Underground hotel car parks that were designed for Fiat 500s - they teach you new tricks with an XC60 that you never would have thought possible. Sometimes you cannot get out of them until a lot of the cars have left the garage so that you can steer out of the garage.

Thanks for any thoughts or tips - I have a copy of Julian Parishes oracle on European travel but he does not answer these questions.
xsaab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22nd, 2018, 22:41   #2
NigelDay
Premier Member

Can't answer your question, but Shell V-Power is not 100% available in mainland Europe. Denmark, for example, is not covered. The websites of the 'majors' should be able to locate stations with Premium diesel. In France I have used Total Excellium as Shell is a little thin on the ground.
2015: XC60 D4 FWD SE Lux Nav 190hp manual, Osmium Grey, 17" Segin, Tempa, Winter Illumination, Security, Family, DSP, 4C, HK Sound, Subwoofer, Front Parking, Rear Camera, Dark Tinted, Power Passenger Seat, Speed and Heated Steering.
NigelDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23rd, 2018, 03:45   #3
prc68

Premium diesel:
Repsol will be the neotech 10e+ (gold sticker).
Cepsa will be optima diesel (IIRC red + Black).
BP will be ultimate diesel (blue + green sticker)
Galp will be evologic diesel (black + orange sticker)

Pre-selection buttons are to enter value before picking up nozel. Can't remember Spain but in portugal you'll have 3 buttons, 1£, 10€ and reset. hitting the 10€ button twice will pre select 20€ of fuel and so forth...
If you don't pre-select pump will just go until full.

I can relate to the garage issues

Looking to upgrade the suspension
prc68 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to prc68 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 23rd, 2018, 06:42   #4
tt82
Forum Support Team

When I went to Italy there were some unattended stations and you couldn't pump to full. You had to pre-select an amount that you could be sure to fit in otherwise you simply wasted money. If there was an attendant there, you could pre-select a high amount and if you filled right up with some left over, taking the receipt to the attendant would get you a refund of the unused amount.

tt82 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tt82 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 23rd, 2018, 09:06   #5
Julianpms
VOC Member

Thanks for your kind mention of my guide to driving in Europe, and I'm sorry I couldn't answer this exact question in the book due to reasons of space. But it looks like you've found some good information here. Btw, the guide will be available in an updated second edition this spring: I just signed off the page proofs last week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsaab View Post
Last year we had a 2 week tour of part of the NW corner of Spain, it was so good that we are planning to return to the general area and go further south to Portugal.

A question left over from last year is using the pumps dispensing diesel several questions.

There were several grades of diesel at filling stations with different names, (Shell stations were not available when I wanted to fill up - only Spanish brands) so what is the name or type of diesel one should use in a XC60 (typically used to being pampered with V-Power)

On the pumps were a collection of pre-select buttons that had something to do with the quantity to be dispensed - how are they to be used - I think one can dispense fuel until full without selecting a quantity button. Is my assumption correct.

Underground hotel car parks that were designed for Fiat 500s - they teach you new tricks with an XC60 that you never would have thought possible. Sometimes you cannot get out of them until a lot of the cars have left the garage so that you can steer out of the garage.

Thanks for any thoughts or tips - I have a copy of Julian Parishes oracle on European travel but he does not answer these questions.
Old Feb 23rd, 2018, 09:27   #6
ThomasG
Aka MadBabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julianpms View Post
Thanks for your kind mention of my guide to driving in Europe, and I'm sorry I couldn't answer this exact question in the book due to reasons of space. But it looks like you've found some good information here. Btw, the guide will be available in an updated second edition this spring: I just signed off the page proofs last week.
Wow!
This world never ceases to surprise me
ThomasG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23rd, 2018, 11:59   #7
Harvey1512
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tt82 View Post
When I went to Italy there were some unattended stations and you couldn't pump to full. You had to pre-select an amount that you could be sure to fit in otherwise you simply wasted money. If there was an attendant there, you could pre-select a high amount and if you filled right up with some left over, taking the receipt to the attendant would get you a refund of the unused amount.
Went to Italy 3 years. On the way back to the airport we looked to fill up the hire car as you do. First station, unmanned, I stared at the pumps, totally failed to understand how it worked. Moved to the next and next and next. I started to panic. Thankfully found a manned one 0.5 miles from the airport itself. I nearly hugged the man.

Filling up abroad is very stressful until you understand the system. In America for example you pre-pay but at least there they speak English so I could ask someone inside the station how it worked. Much harder when a different language is involved. Pre-paying actually makes sense for the station, no thefts.
Old Feb 23rd, 2018, 12:17   #8
xsaab
Master Member

Thanks everybody for your help especially prc68 - your info has been stored to the Mac Notes system so will now be on all our phones and computers.

Re US gas - I have bought gas in just about every possible way, some with pre pay where you handover a credit card or $50 to brim the car, then get change or a refund sent to the credit card. Some places do not like UK credit cards when trying to pay at the pump and they want a the ZIP code (a numeric only concept in the US), some places do not accept the concept of UK credit cards for any form of payment and they are reluctant to use the PIN number security system in the US as well. Oh and the language is not always English as we know of it. We have been asked on several occasions what language we speak at home after telling them that we come from the UK.

The final challenge is that Gas pump spout is Black and the diesel pump spout is often green. But you always have to check the words on the pump.

On one occasion I had gas pump by hand from a barrel, but never from a gravity fed glass reservoir type pump.

Last edited by xsaab; Feb 23rd, 2018 at 12:24.
xsaab is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to xsaab For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 23rd, 2018, 12:20   #9
Whippy
Premier Member

France is somewhat easier, most people fill up at the supermarche, fill up and pay at booth on exit. Usually one grade of diesel, in France it's called gasoil (pronounced gaz warle) caution needs to be taken in some rural spots as the old high sulphur diesel is still available.
Whippy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23rd, 2018, 13:24   #10
prc68

In Portugal it is also quite simple. Low grade diesel will always be "gasoleo simples" and normally have the black sticker on pump. That is the normal grade no additive diesel. Fuels at supermarkets like supermarche, intermarche, prio will be cheaper but normally only low grade.
There are not many, but we do have some un-manned stations (normally manned during the day). These normally have a slot and keyboard to take your credit card.

Looking to upgrade the suspension
prc68 is offline   Reply With Quote