Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC 70 exhaust

Views : 482

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 22nd, 2018, 23:50   #1
Anubisxc70
Master Member

Default XC 70 exhaust

2004 XC70 D5 awd.

Hello.
Im thinking on replacing the exhaust on my car. Can i do it or it needs like welding. From diagram the first silencer is bolted in to the part with catalytic converter, with a gasket. What about the second....i just see that it goes inside the other one
Attached Images
File Type: jpg images.jpg (4.3 KB, 19 views)
Anubisxc70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23rd, 2018, 00:24   #2
raleigh753

I purchased one last year off Ebay as recommended on this forum. Seller is in Poland. Heavy duty and well built and comes in 3 sections - unlike the genuine one which comes as shown in two parts. Still not fitted mine yet as my issue was a rattle which turned out to be the rear heat shield missing some clips and was contacting on the exhaust silencer. Ebay one came with all bolts and gaskets. Definitely a grinder job to remove the old ones though
raleigh753 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23rd, 2018, 02:38   #3
oragex
Premier Member

The picture looks like the one for petrol engines

The flexible down pipe after the engine usually develops a leak. Must be cut off and replaced with a quality part (not chinese stuff), with interlock - look for a well known brand and it has to flex a lot which the chinese ones don't reason why they don't last 2 years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzsowxuaABI

Keep you catalytic converter by all means ,aftermarket ones will give check engine light.

The flange after the converter also rots and leaks, must be repaired/cut and weld new one.

The brackets need replaced

The rear box breaks at the end pipe because smart guys decided the end pipe must also keep a bracket.

Better bring everything incl new parts to a shop who does quality welding.
Old Feb 23rd, 2018, 06:54   #4
eternal optimist
Master Member

Exhausts are bolted together, not welded.
eternal optimist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23rd, 2018, 09:42   #5
BobS
Master Member

Hi,

As Raleigh753 I purchased the exhaust from ebay and was very impressed with the quality. It came with all clamps, bolts and rubber hangers.

The original is one piece from the catalytic converter back. But the replacement is two piece with a standard clamp joint before the back box.

All very straightforward to fit just need the car well jacked up and supported from the passenger side.

I had to use a small grinder to remove the 'bolts' holding the old exhaust to the cat. These were not nuts but some kind of industrial grade press on studs. 10 mins and there were off and 30 mins later the new exhaust was on.

Bob
Old Feb 24th, 2018, 22:31   #6
TiredGeek
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raleigh753 View Post
I purchased one last year off Ebay as recommended on this forum. Seller is in Poland.
Do you happen to have a link? Bound to need one soon

Defected to BMW. 335d xdrive.
TiredGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25th, 2018, 11:53   #7
raleigh753

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Volvo-V70...oAAOSwzppaIA5G

raleigh753 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to raleigh753 For This Useful Post: