Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V60 Hybrid, as good as they claim?

Views : 1449

Replies : 12

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 18th, 2017, 00:28   #1
V40DSchariot
Master Member

Default V60 Hybrid, as good as they claim?

Hi all,
Has anyone on here got a V60 D5 hybrid or know anything about how good/not so good they are?
I have a 2003 V40 DS and a 2000 S40 T4 and have recently changed jobs which has resulted in an extended drive around 45 miles round trip to the new place, part motorway, part Nottingham ring road with a speed limit of 30-40MPH so was thinking on whether changing cars would be a good idea.
The T4 is good fun but pricey to run with the diesel being economical but not so fun. thinking along the lines of D5 having enough poke to be fun, but running on batteries for a 30/40MPH area. The hybrid being zero RFL against £380 for the two I have.

As I would be buying second hand I have spoke to a Volvo garage who informed me that the battries are warranted for 8yrs or 100k which if correct would mean avoiding a higher mileage motor.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.
V40DSchariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18th, 2017, 08:07   #2
Tober

I have one and have done so for a year. I tend to do short trips on a daily basis 14-20 miles which I do largely in pure mode, a weekly trip to the city circa 60 miles in hybrid and probably two longer journeys a month between 550 and 650 miles.
So far I have done 12000 miles averaging overall 62mpg. I charge mainly at home and occasionally at public charge points. In pure mood I think the best that I have achieved is around 26 miles. In winter this drops to around 20/21 miles per full charge.
Plus points- comfort, fuel consumption compared to previous car, preconditioning, power mode, VOC
Negatives - no rapid charging (slow charge capability), electric range, fiddlesome entertainment system, smallish boot, charging infrastructure and availability of working charge points.
Hope that helps a bit
Tober is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tober For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 18th, 2017, 09:08   #3
Tober

And sorry I should also have said for my 60 mile round trip to town I tend to use hybrid mode as there is rarely a working or available charge point anywhere near to my destination. If I leave with a full charge I think I get around 70mpg overall. The section includes 10 miles of single carriageway, another 10 dual and the rest town driving.
I find that a PHEV works for me due to the number of short journeys I make. When on long runs you don’t have range anxiety, the car is good at motorway cruising and has the necessary oomph in power mode if required.
I charge at home using a granny cable. I think I have waited too long to get a home charge unit and seem to be outside the OLEV grant timeline. I could certainly see the benefit of a faster charge cycle.
Tober is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tober For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 18th, 2017, 12:05   #4
Diego67

I have a d5 but not a hybrid I do roughly the same commute as you but into derby round trip is 55 Miles my average mpg is 40 at the moment. I looked at getting a d6 but the actual cost over a d5 was too much to warrant it ! Maybe down the line I may opt for one but I’m really happy with the V60 d5 for now. Hope this helps too

Last edited by Diego67; Nov 18th, 2017 at 12:08.
Diego67 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Diego67 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 18th, 2017, 12:33   #5
Worthingmike

Hi How long does it take to get a full charge using what you call a granny cable? Which i am presuming is a standard 13 amp.
Old Nov 18th, 2017, 13:16   #6
Deadloak

I came from a Lexus hybrid to the D4 diesel, I didn't even consider the Volvo PIH because of the cost, and the limited increase in MPG. I also do 18k mainly motorway driving. The D4 was a tiny bit better MPG to the Petrol 2.5 Hybrid I had. But I think Volvo have a long way to go to get competively priced in this market. £35K for a Lexus vs £50k for a V60, not likely.