Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Amazon - J Type Overdrive

Views : 748

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 28th, 2018, 11:18   #1
skysurfer
VOC Member

Default Amazon - J Type Overdrive

I have a '69 Amazon retro fitted with a B18B engine, P1800 gearshift and D-type overdrive. The car was originally a B20B model but has been changed for historic rallying which only recognises the B18 unit. I have acquired a good B20B engine for rebuild but understand that this was only mated to the J-type overdrive unit. Is it possible to just remove the existing B18 drivetrain with D-type and replace with a B20 drivetrain with J-type without any further modifications ? I am aware that the B20 overdrive is wired up differently.
skysurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2018, 13:08   #2
Derek UK
VOC Member

Answer to probably what you are asking. Just swap the B18 for the B20. Bonus is you'll be able to easily fit an alternator if you currently have an early B18 block without the alternator bracket boss on the block.
Using a B20 drive train will mean adapting to cable clutch etc. Too much effort for the end result.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Derek UK For This Useful Post:
Old May 28th, 2018, 15:09   #3
Army
marches on his stomach

I done a bit of loose reading of this subject and understand that the M41 gearbox (that's the 4 speed M40 with the overdrive) will bolt up nicely onto either the B18 or the B20 engines. So (in case it isn't clear) the engine swap is all that is needed for fitment.

I'm not 100% certain about the relative strengths of the D type overdrive vs J type overdrive but I understand there are harder to find connecting parts for the J type : M40/41 gearbox interface.

The other thing that may or may not be of interest is the final drive ration on the differential. The overdrive gearing is one heck of a large step for either engine to make. The B18 in particular can struggle with a 4.10 final drive ratio which is commonly fitted to 1960s Volvos that were non factory overdrive vehicles. So a check of the existing final drive ratio might be of interest as well...
1992 Mercedes 190E The car that works!
Army is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Army For This Useful Post:
Old May 28th, 2018, 15:37   #4
swedishandgerman
Premier Member

You can use a j-type with a b18 or a d-type with a b20, despite neither ever having been produced like that.

The j-type can be run on d-type wiring including relay, but can be run with no relay. A d-type has to have a relay. However, in Amazon, they were always built with relay even when they went across to j-type.

Personally, I wouldn’t change from a d-type to a j-type despite it apparently being stronger. A j-type engages and disengages smoother, but a d-type is slightly higher geared giving better cruising, but only marginally.

When I’m back in front of my computer I will share with you some instructions to include a relay that disengages the overdrive when you knock it out of 4th.

As above, the b20 had cable operated clutch
1970 Amazon 2-Door
1970 142DL

Last edited by swedishandgerman; May 28th, 2018 at 15:49.
swedishandgerman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to swedishandgerman For This Useful Post:
Old May 28th, 2018, 17:42   #5
swedishandgerman
Premier Member

Attached are the instructions for fitting a 240 overdrive relay and a momentary switch. Works great with a j-type which engages and disengages so smoothly.
1970 Amazon 2-Door
1970 142DL
swedishandgerman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to swedishandgerman For This Useful Post:
Old May 28th, 2018, 23:34   #6
Volvorama
Too many cats

Default Old is better...

From numerous conversions over the years I reckon the older D type is a better unit to have for the reasons already stated. I've also had fewer failed Ds than Js although that doesn't account for mileage or engine power.
Please note though that the gearbox that has a J attached cannot be fitted with a D. Different splines etc. as I recall. Also most Js will have the larger output flange that doesn't fit the Amazon prop and the D flange does not fit either.

Last edited by Volvorama; May 28th, 2018 at 23:38. Reason: Cider
Volvorama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Volvorama For This Useful Post:
Old May 29th, 2018, 09:51   #7
skysurfer
VOC Member

Many thanks for your very helpful replies gentlemen. It seems to me that the best option is to remove the B18, replace with the rebuilt B20 unit and leave the existing gearbox and D-type overdrive (which are both working fine) alone. I can use the money saved by building the B20 as a fast road engine with a hotter cam etc. My car already has an alternator, cable clutch (and dual circuit brakes) so the switchover sounds as if it should be fairly straightforward. I did read that the J-type was the stronger unit, but my car has been used for serious rallying in the past and the D-type seems to have held up well, although it does jerk a little when switched on/off. I guess this is why the J-type is the smoother unit........
skysurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2018, 10:53   #8
tdz840
VOC Member

[QUOTE=skysurfer ....although it does jerk a little when switched on/off. I guess this is why the J-type is the smoother unit........[/QUOTE]

Using the clutch when activating/deactivating the O/D helps engagement. Doesnt need a full clutch movement just a small dip of the clutch👍
Russ
tdz840 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tdz840 For This Useful Post:
Old May 29th, 2018, 21:26   #9
Ron Kwas
Premier Member

ss;

In addition to good info given by all, you may want to look at my notes on the subject, especially the "Unwanted Reactivation" improvement with the 240 sequencing relay, on the SW-EM.com, Tech Articles page.

I would also recommend clutching into and out of OD...yes, it is a wet conical clutch inside the unit, so not absolutely necessary, but my position is that anything I can do to diminish shock loads on the drivetrain is a good thing, and at no cost, so I will do it...

Cheers
Ron Kwas is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ron Kwas For This Useful Post: