Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Spare Tyre Poll

Views : 54184

Replies : 220

Users Viewing This Thread :  

View Poll Results: What should volvo's policy be for spare tyres in new cars?
cars should sacrifice enough cargo space and a full size spare should be supplied 297 38.87%
cars should sacrifice enough cargo space and a space save spare should be supplied 440 57.59%
tyre sealant and breakdown cover are sufficient - space should be maximised for cargo 44 5.76%
attach spare to the outside of the car (requiring design change and possible other issues) 7 0.92%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 764. You may not vote on this poll

Old Dec 4th, 2011, 20:13   #31
volvorocks
Rodney

Quote:
Originally Posted by darbs View Post
it's might be a bread and butter initiative to an organisation like "which?". they love this kind of thing. they often tackle whole industries on new trends. there would have to be a justification of course, e.g. this trend may be considered a safety issue - not that i'd stand up in a room and argue that point myself. that said, with the on-going shortage of rubber, the car industry may have a point to make. they could easily play the eco card, rightly or wrongly.
Yes your right.I much prefer to have a spare wheel

I think as you say Volvos reason for new Volvos to not have a spare is down to a rubber shortage or something.Then they can save a bit of cash as well by not providing a spare!

Regards
volvorocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6th, 2011, 09:12   #32
844PHW
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvorocks View Post
Yes your right.I much prefer to have a spare wheel

I think as you say Volvos reason for new Volvos to not have a spare is down to a rubber shortage or something.

Regards
Clearly, as many manufacturers are pushing customers to have both a set of summer tyres and a set of winter tyres, there is no shortage of rubber. It is all down to profit margins and what manufacturers can get away with..
The Following User Says Thank You to 844PHW For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 16th, 2011, 18:07   #33
Mountain Goat

Where to begin...
Firstly I must say I've just had a Vauxhall Insignia as a courtesy car for 2 days, and it was an absolute joy to get back in the XC60.
Got a puncture in o/s rear tyre on Wed night. Didn't know I had a puncture as handling not affected at all until near my destination, then got a bit loose at rear end.
Parked up, luckily in a secure private car park, and found rear tyre completely flat and very hot, as I'd obviously driven it like that for some distance.
Phoned RAC and decided it was too late to do anything at 6.30pm as there was NO SPARE, and tyre depots closing. So left car overnight as was able to get a lift home from partner.
RAC eventually turned up at midday Thursday. Did a temp fix on the flat tyre to enable me to get to local Kwik Fit. Surprise surprise, KF didn't have a 235/60 x 18 Pirelli in stock and as it's a 2 month old car I didn't want one mismatched tyre.
Told by KF that none available within 60 mile radius so would have to order from supplier, and expect it to arrive by 1pm Friday.
Just got car back today with a brand new matching P Zero Rosso, and eveything now fine.
However bottom line is I've been without my car for best part of 2 days, and fortunately I was able to leave the car somewhere secure overnight and get a courtesy car.
All for the lack of some sort of spare, be it space saver or full size. It is a totally Bl**dy ridiculous situation and I don't know how manufacturers can justify this inconvenience let alone potential safety aspects of getting a puncture in the middle of nowhere with no backup.
Mountain Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mountain Goat For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 16th, 2011, 18:54   #34
sawyer

I Have just taken delivery of a new XC60 which came with the inflator kit.
I enquired about a temp spare wheel option and was told that one could be obtained, however the dealership was unable to confirm price.
Does anyone happen to know how much temp spare, wheel brace, jack etc will be to purchase as an after sale option ?
sawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16th, 2011, 19:08   #35
Lancahire

It is wrong to call them Space saver spare wheels, in my humble Opinion.

For most manufacturers, they are "COST SAVING spare wheels"

I think having the spare wheel attached to the back door, such as a lot of 4x4 vehicles including older model LR discoverys and most LR defenders can be a time saving measure for motorists. What happens if you have boxes and luggage in the boot, it may take you ten minutes to unload the boot before you can access the spare wheel.

Those vehicles which have the spare wheel mounted under the cargo compartment are also a problem. The nuts and bolts and fixings can sieze up if the spare wheel is ignored and neglected until it is needed.
Lancahire is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lancahire For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 16th, 2011, 19:13   #36
Lancahire

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawyer View Post
I Have just taken delivery of a new XC60 which came with the inflator kit.
I enquired about a temp spare wheel option and was told that one could be obtained, however the dealership was unable to confirm price.
Does anyone happen to know how much temp spare, wheel brace, jack etc will be to purchase as an after sale option ?
Sorry, I do not know, but go in to the spare parts section, and ask them to look up the part numbers of the wheel and the jack and everything you would need and give you their best discount on that list. You may need to think about getting the tyre itself from a tyre suppliers.

THEN ask the sales manager could he kindly give you a discount on supplying those parts.
Old Dec 16th, 2011, 21:06   #37
XC60MY12
Country Member

Would there be any mileage (pun intended) in those forum members who feel strongly about this writing to Volvo to express their dissatisfaction? The story about shortage of rubber carries no weight as has already been pointed out.

I don't know if there is a precedent for forum members presenting a united front to Volvo? We are the customers so there is a slight chance they might listen; or am I being too naive?
XC60MY12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16th, 2011, 21:42   #38
ChrisCdotcodotuk

I was looking at BMW 5 series cars when I was looking for my V50. I was put off the 5 series as all of them I saw had tyre weld.

I do NOT want that on my car. Dark country lane, no mobile reception and a blow out. No luck with a can of rubber goo, you'll just be savaged by the sheep and horses etc.
ChrisCdotcodotuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16th, 2011, 21:49   #39
XC60MY12
Country Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisCdotcodotuk View Post
I was looking at BMW 5 series cars when I was looking for my V50. I was put off the 5 series as all of them I saw had tyre weld.

I do NOT want that on my car. Dark country lane, no mobile reception and a blow out. No luck with a can of rubber goo, you'll just be savaged by the sheep and horses etc.
How long have you been having these dreams?
XC60MY12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16th, 2011, 22:32   #40
Lancahire

Quite a long time ago now, IIRC I used Tyreweld on a puncture as a test, and to save time and effort on my part.

My tyre supplier said it took them a lot of effort cleaning off all the goo when I asked them to do a proper repair.

The manufacturers, most of them, must find it costs less to supply the puncture repair kits.

It has been a slippery slope, and we customers have allowed them to get away with it.
first they fitted steel wheels as a spare, when all the other four were alloy, then they fitted Money saving wheels, then they supplied Goo.
I wonder how many customers do like I do and buy a full size wheel and a new tyre? The manufacturers sell spare parts and make more % profit than on the complete vehicle I believe.

Space saving wheels also save the manufacturer space in their parts warehouse.