Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Year 2 service today

Views : 2415

Replies : 24

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 24th, 2015, 22:41   #1
Westyman
VOC Member

Default Year 2 service today

My XC60 had its two,year service today at 15k - low mileage I know - with no problems. The brake fluid was changed, seems a bit excessive at 2 years, it was done under the 5-year pre-paid service plan. Only thing I paid for was a de-bug of the aircon. So £25 and walked away! They wanted to put new wiper blades on as they were smearing. But last Saturday a gob of oil landed on the screen in pouring rain, that takes a while to wear off, so declined that.
Picked up a new XC90 brochure, ordered a rear bumper infill panel to replace the silly painted one and will collect that tomorrow. Thanks to forum for the part number for that.
1972 MG B GT
Westyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25th, 2015, 08:04   #2
Crockers
Premier Member

Did they not charge you for the brake fluid change?? It's not part of the 5 year plan...
Old Jun 25th, 2015, 21:01   #3
CDJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crockers View Post
Did they not charge you for the brake fluid change?? It's not part of the 5 year plan...
I was told the brake fluid is included if it is in the recommended service items...
CDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25th, 2015, 22:34   #4
Crockers
Premier Member

Mine's booked in for July 12th and I was told brake fluid change isn't included. Hmm think this needs looking into.
Old Jun 26th, 2015, 00:10   #5
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westyman View Post
The brake fluid was changed, seems a bit excessive at 2 years
Not at all excessive. I do mine yearly which may be a touch OTT.
The idea isn't really to wait for it to need changing. You want it out whilst it's still doing its job and sitting around in your pipework and calipers for 2 years is plenty.
Hopefully you didn't notice any improvement either which means your safety hasn't been compromised.
Old Jun 26th, 2015, 09:14   #6
Westyman
VOC Member

There was something said about Volvo had agreed to pay for fluid change, TBH I wasn't aware that it was outside the pre-paid service deal. I think the dealer said it was a recommended change rather than mandatory in the service plan.
1972 MG B GT
Old Jun 26th, 2015, 09:16   #7
MikeIOW
Premier Member

I wondered about that on a previous car. I am sure it would be fine to be left much longer.....
...but the logic is that brake fluid is said to be hygroscopic in nature, which means it absorbs moisture from the air, which over time can result in a high percentage of water in your brake fluid. This is then supposed to damage the components of the braking system (eg;rot brake pipes) and reduce the vehicles braking ability.
(& yes, I did cut'n'paste that line!!)
Which is why manufacturers, who are of course uber-careful on safety features, will ask for a 2 yearly change.
There are testers that can be used to check for the content, but rather than use that, they apply a "lowest common denominator' logic and make them all change....
Old Jun 26th, 2015, 09:24   #8
Westyman
VOC Member

I thought the other issue with moisture in brake fluid is that if it's near the caliber it can boil from the heat of the disc and make the pedal spongey
1972 MG B GT
Old Jun 26th, 2015, 09:54   #9
cheshired5
Premier Member

Yes, increased water % lowers the boiling point and boiling water=bubbles which can be compressed easier and create the spongy feel.
Testing the reservoir fluid is probably the most pointless piece of car maintenance ever so just have a 2 year change routine and reduce that interval if the car is regularly used in hilly or mountainous areas.
Old Jun 26th, 2015, 11:52   #10
Crockers
Premier Member

Just been told by both MRG and Johnsonsnthat brake fluid change is recommended every two years and falls outside the 5 year service plan and is chargeable. So those who got it included uber result