Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

What extras would you not buy again?

Views : 8033

Replies : 83

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 10th, 2016, 08:13   #21
844PHW
Master Member

I would definitely keep the reversing camera. That used in conjunction with the wing mirrors makes reverse parking easy and precise. I also find the luggage fold-down safety grill re-assuring.

A minor point, but I wouldn't bother with detachable sunscreens. They seemed like a good idea at the time, but the children didn't like them.
Old Mar 10th, 2016, 08:35   #22
Chief inspector
Master Member

I don't have these on my XC60 as I've wanted and got them in the past and then never used (or appreciated) them to any extent:

Gearshift paddles
Headrest droppers
Panoramic roof
Rear camera
Old Mar 10th, 2016, 16:07   #23
emjga

In:
Adaptive Cruise Control (part of the Driver Support Pack)
Blind Spot Information System with Cross Traffic Alert,
Heated Front Seats
Heated Washer Nozzles
Heated Windscreen
Active High Beam
Rear Parking Camera
18" Ixion Alloy Wheels (Diamond Cut/Matt Black)
Removable towbar

Out:
Personal Car Communicator and Keyless Drive (Like the Keyless Drive but the auto unlocking is just is a pain and never works if the keys are in your jacket unless you press you self against the car)
EGR / ECM faults X 2

What I would get:
Heated Rear Seats (Grand kids bring a rug with them ...... )

What I would change:
Spare emergency wheel should fit flush with the under boot floor and not raise up by 1cm which reduces the size of the boot.

Last edited by emjga; Mar 10th, 2016 at 16:09. Reason: Add Spare Wheel
emjga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10th, 2016, 16:29   #24
bobby2000
VOC Member

Everything I have came with the car when I bought it @ 9 months old.
Would add powered front passenger seat, possible metallic paint, but I would not pay the extra for flappy paddles, every thing else that I have, I would probable have again.
Old Mar 10th, 2016, 18:40   #25
wassap

I had a R Design Lux with all the trimmings as my demo a few weeks ago.

The winterpack,HK stereo/SUB, heated steering wheel & both F/R parking sensors are a must for me.

DSP and the camera's added nowt to the package for, i'd love the radar cruise control, but you cant have that seperate, the BLIS and lane departure just didnt offer me anything over the 750 miles i drove the car.

What i would love is a better range of colours on the R design, they all just seem a bit Meh! But by all accounts the MY17 will get a couple of nicer blue's.
wassap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10th, 2016, 20:15   #26
AngloScot
Master Member

Ok I never bought it, but after reading these forums for the last couple of years I think the least useful "extra" has to be the Satnav. Crazy price and not that good from what I have read.
The one standard thing I would get rid-off is the Stop/Start.
Old Mar 11th, 2016, 06:33   #27
MikeIOW
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by id5 View Post
I am glad I didn't get a bag load of driving aids such as BLIS, etc, every other XC60 driver I have met and talked too has turned them off
Good job we aren't all the same, eh!

I have turned the lane changing thing off (easily done, button on the dash), although I may use it on a really long run....but actually I find BLIS useful as a final check to me moving my head and looking, and not in any way irritating (which I thought it would be).
& if you include adaptive cruise as a driving aid (which I certainly do!), I wouldn't be without it now- fantastic on motorways and even in town traffic & roadworks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngloScot View Post
Ok I never bought it, but after reading these forums for the last couple of years I think the least useful "extra" has to be the Satnav. Crazy price and not that good from what I have read.
The one standard thing I would get rid-off is the Stop/Start.
& again, different strokes for different folks.....yes, the price is usually daft for built in sat navs, but I actually think the Volvo one is brilliant: easy to use, offers multiple routes, has traffic info that works as well as any I've seen. One thing I always like about the built in units is how fast they grab signal and start mapping. I have a Navigon that works fairly well, but every now and then it would sometimes take 10 minutes to lock on, and it was always when I needed it to work fast!!

What is wrong with the stop start? I actually like the peace when stuck at lights for a minute or more.......touch wood, it never fails to instantly start up (has separate battery so won't affect normal starting), can easily be turned off (again, button on the dash) so if you at in traffic that would mean it only stops for a second or two you can quickly disable it....what is not to like? I would agree that I doubt it makes an appreciable difference to our climate.....but it does what it says on the tin!

I guess that's why they are options lists ��
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MikeIOW For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 11th, 2016, 11:44   #28
St James

I totally agree with you Mike.

I'm exactly the same as you - turned off the lane departure, but kept (and really like) the BLIS.

I also love the adaptive cruise and auto lights.

RE: the Sat Nav - until you've sampled a VW-based navigation system, you can't describe any other system as poor! They are shocking, particularly at avoiding congestion. I find the Volvo Sat Nav to be an excellent bit of kit.

J
2010 (10) Skoda Octavia vRS CR170 DSG
St James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11th, 2016, 12:40   #29
mordred1973

the Volvo SATNAV is sooo easy to use, shame it often takes totally insane routes to places....
Old Mar 11th, 2016, 13:00   #30
NigelDay
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordred1973 View Post
the Volvo SATNAV is sooo easy to use, shame it often takes totally insane routes to places....
It's interesting comparing the Volvo system with a Garmin. Only because I have so many waypoints and I missed having the proximity waypoint searching which the Volvo system does not do, I have installed a Garmin 3598 to run 'parallel' with the Volvo system. Overkill I hear you saying, but nonetheless interesting. The systems usually agree on routes, but rarely do they agree on traffic. We regularly do the M6 J38 run down (via the M5 and A38) to Plymouth. Usually there is a problem somewhere en route. Sometimes the Volvo system displays it. Sometimes the Garmin does. Rarely do they show the same problem. On a major motorway route, they should BOTH perform better.
2015: XC60 D4 FWD SE Lux Nav 190hp manual, Osmium Grey, 17" Segin, Tempa, Winter Illumination, Security, Family, DSP, 4C, HK Sound, Subwoofer, Front Parking, Rear Camera, Dark Tinted, Power Passenger Seat, Speed and Heated Steering.

Last edited by NigelDay; Mar 11th, 2016 at 13:02.
NigelDay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NigelDay For This Useful Post: