Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New to this forum and Volvo cars

Views : 1864

Replies : 34

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 20th, 2016, 15:14   #11
MrBell31

Hi Nigelday,

I have emailed you with a few questions.

I dont understand why they did say this too, we do have a set budget. Is york worth a look??
MrBell31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20th, 2016, 16:40   #12
NigelDay
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBell31 View Post
Hi Nigelday,

I have emailed you with a few questions.

I dont understand why they did say this too, we do have a set budget. Is york worth a look??
Ray Chapman were my choice, but I would always get a second quote from a different garage if only to assure myself the deal was good and proper !
2015: XC60 D4 FWD SE Lux Nav 190hp manual, Osmium Grey, 17" Segin, Tempa, Winter Illumination, Security, Family, DSP, 4C, HK Sound, Subwoofer, Front Parking, Rear Camera, Dark Tinted, Power Passenger Seat, Speed and Heated Steering.
NigelDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20th, 2016, 22:26   #13
marchesman

It may be different for the 2017 MY but when I bought a 2016 MY XC60 I thought the things that went with the Lux specification, notably the bending xenon lights, the wheel tyre combination that I wanted and, because it is regularly used by two drivers, the leather seats with memory, were good value at £2700 and I still think so. That is in spite of an in-built resistance to the whole 'options' ploy.
marchesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21st, 2016, 00:06   #14
MikeIOW
Premier Member

Not sure whether you are doing any part-ex, but do look at drivethedeal and carwow....there are keen deals out there, and any service deals or Volvo finance offers etc will also be honoured - such purchases are through Volvo dealers. We (& I know some others here, even some who travelled further than you would to pick up!) got ours from TMS Coventry: very friendly and efficient dealership. You may even be able to take a good deal to your local dealer and get close to it.

You can see my spec in the signature: lovely car, I would echo that Lux is worth the stretch, and indeed if you are auto then DSP, whilst an expensive option, is well worth it!!

Agouti, I'm guessing you may think you irked me in the tyre thread?
If so, please accept my apologies: no problems here, but if you read from the start of that thread you will find I was tyring (see what I did there?!) of another member absolutely insisting the best tyres be on the front, and all I asked for was evidence....which wasn't forthcoming (perhaps because, having done a fair bit of research, I don't think it exists!!)....
.....hence my firm belief your best tyres should be on the back.....& when you suggested modern cars could be better with them on the front, I was just reiterating the need to back this up with evidence.....
sorry if you took that any way other than wanting the best advice on the forum for members
Old Jun 21st, 2016, 02:07   #15
Agouti

Hi Mike, no, wasn't referring to that but you also have no reason to apologise - you are absolutely correct! I have no evidence, only a bunch of theoretical work from years back and I didn't speak well to my end point which didn't differ to much from you I think. I have had the same argument with others who always put the most worn tyres on the back thinking only of braking performance and standing water clearance. My last car before the Volvo had much wider rear tyres so you couldn't rotate front to back - it was also quite sensitive to the relative tyre hardness. Anyway, all off topic.

I wonder if there is value in holding a poll for what optional extras people value, regret not getting or never ended up using. For example I regret not being able to get adaptive cruise control but for my last car the sunroof was a waste of money.

For me, if I was buying new and didn't have to be too worried about the price, I think I would get:

Sensus Connect Premium Sound by Harman Kardo (full Luxury Sound would be nice but it's hard to justify the cost).
Heated Front Seating
Adaptive cruise control (I think you have to get it as part of the pricey Adaptive Cruise +CWAB, pedestrian & Driver Alert for the XC60)
TFT LCD dash/dials, but I don't think this is available as a separate item
Laminated side windows (for noise)
Standard Wheels for comfort even though the big ones look nice
Auto dimming side mirrors
Dealer fitted tow kit
D5 upgrade from D4 for towing (same milage with current gen?)
Tyre Pressure Monitoring System
Suspension - Nivomat Auto Levelling

I would investigate the Four-C Chassis, I've seen a few people who love it but haven't personally experienced it. It's pretty pricey.

If I was on a fixed budget and had the choice of a XC60 or a V60 with more options... not sure. I think I would lean towards the V60 but you lose 200kg of tow capacity. I'm not sure if you can still get the S60 in AWD spec.
Old Jun 21st, 2016, 06:30   #16
MikeIOW
Premier Member

Phew, glad I hadn't caused offence!

Must haves for me (with 33k miles of hindsight) were the DSP, heated steering wheel (& winter pack - leather seats must have heating!), reverse camera, auto (my first but I love it!) and sat-nav.

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showth...Options&page=1 is a previous thread on this topic....maybe move this sub-topic back there, 5 pages of views to kick off with already
Old Jun 21st, 2016, 08:51   #17
wassap

Ive gone a bit silly with my options, but i could have gone sillier!

Silly because its a company car so i will never see the financial payback, but my justification to the wife is that im in the car for 4 years and 100k miles, so toys are important.

The winter pack is a must, if you like music, then the HK audio upgrade is good value, the parking sensors front and rear are a must. I'd always aim for a car with xenons, they make night driving much much more easier.

Other than that, ive added heated steering wheel, subwoofer & panoramic sunroof.

I'd have liked the adaptive cruise if it were available on its own, the BLIS and Lane departure warning annoyed me on the demonstrator i had, so i wouldnt have payed for the safety pack, the camera and the family pack would have been useful, but they arent must haves imo.
wassap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21st, 2016, 09:09   #18
MrBell31

Hi and thanks for all the replies

I have had a look at the options list and to be honest i could have gone mad too and got so much more. I do have a set budget which seems to be a good thing other wise i would spend money on stuff i didnt want.

I have chosen the self leveling suspension for my towing (keeps the car at the right height when car is full) i have also asked for the winter pack and parking sensors all round and also the spare wheel.

All the options i have asked for is on my other car which i am px for the deposit. I have gone through Car wow and have received 15% off the price so basically getting the options for free and a small amount off the list price too.
All so Volvo are doing a dealer contribution too so brings the cost down more and im getting the three free years servicing too. The only thing i will add is gap insurance as its going to be a 30K car!!!

Is the TPT screen worth £350?
MrBell31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21st, 2016, 12:42   #19
NigelDay
Premier Member

Quote:
The only thing i will add is gap insurance as its going to be a 30K car!!!
Check out Gap Insurance on the open market. It will be at least HALF the cost of the dealer price. There are a several companies out there.
http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/gapinsurance/
http://www.money.co.uk/gap-insurance.htm

Also, check your insurance policy. I have LV and they include a reasonable amount of Gap Insurance as part of the standard cover, so I did not take a separate policy.
2015: XC60 D4 FWD SE Lux Nav 190hp manual, Osmium Grey, 17" Segin, Tempa, Winter Illumination, Security, Family, DSP, 4C, HK Sound, Subwoofer, Front Parking, Rear Camera, Dark Tinted, Power Passenger Seat, Speed and Heated Steering.
NigelDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21st, 2016, 12:53   #20
andymcp
Premier Member

Quote:
Hi and thanks for all the replies

I have had a look at the options list and to be honest i could have gone mad too and got so much more. I do have a set budget which seems to be a good thing other wise i would spend money on stuff i didnt want.

I have chosen the self leveling suspension for my towing (keeps the car at the right height when car is full) i have also asked for the winter pack and parking sensors all round and also the spare wheel.

All the options i have asked for is on my other car which i am px for the deposit. I have gone through Car wow and have received 15% off the price so basically getting the options for free and a small amount off the list price too.
All so Volvo are doing a dealer contribution too so brings the cost down more and im getting the three free years servicing too. The only thing i will add is gap insurance as its going to be a 30K car!!!

Is the TPT screen worth £350?
Not trying to change your mind but you are getting dangerously close in terms of options to having the SE Lux make sense. You get what, IMHO, are great extras in things like xenons and leather, but also the TFT display and more along with a better eventual resale price. I just plugged your spec into drivethedeal and they offer nearer 20% off, bringing the car in around £31k for a manual (I included metallic paint and heated front seats in that). I started my hunt for a Volvo on the business edition spec. Once I'd found the online deals and added the extras I was after it very quickly made more sense to work from a higher spec - an SE with extras will always sell on as an SE, whereas an SE Lux will always sell at a higher grade. Of course if you're keeping for years and years then that matters less. Enjoy whatever you buy.

Mine: 2014 V60 D4 SE Lux Nav Geartronic
Mrs McP: 2013 V40 D2 R-Design Lux Nav
andymcp is offline   Reply With Quote