Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Extended Warranty - Via Volvo Main Dealer or 3rd Party?

Views : 10707

Replies : 83

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 4th, 2020, 14:40   #21
familymangreg
Premier Member

So we took the 2 year additional warranty from our dealer at the end of three years.

One thing they were very specific about is that it doesn't cover pipes and hoses, which isn't great given the propensity of power pulse hoses to blowing!

Also, I've had a worsening creak from my passenger seat which it went in for them to have another look at... and guess what, you've got it, the extended warranty doesn't cover squeaks, creaks or rattles!

Fortunately my dealer stood up to Volvo for me and managed to get a 70% conribution, so the new seat frame cost me approx £290 in the end.

So far then, not particularly impressed with what i've got for £890, its got another year to pay for itself.

:wq
Old Aug 4th, 2020, 21:41   #22
Rustyfrog
Grumpy Pond Dweller

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayBlueshirt View Post
That looks pretty good apart from the airbags not being covered.
I would have hoped that if my airbags had been activated then my actual car insurance would be put to the test..

.................................................. ..
I thought that growing old would take a little longer
Rustyfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14th, 2020, 10:36   #23
Fimac

Did anyone have experience with the RAc warranty mentioned in this thread.
I am 2 years out of Volvo warranty and am wondering if the recent software update for EGR/manifolds indicate an upcoming sooty failure problem !
Fimac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14th, 2020, 13:23   #24
ergonomist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fimac View Post
...indicate an upcoming sooty failure problem !
Cor. Bett the warranty company tries to sweep a sooty problem under the carpet... (sorry...)
Old Aug 14th, 2020, 18:29   #25
garethXC

Warrantry Direct come very highly reccomended over on the discovery 3 & 4 websites - they cover for wear & tear items too. Plus for D4 owners they also cover the snapped crank issue which is a known manfacturing fault & specifically excluded from LR's own ( 3rd party) extra warranty.
You can also do a deal to remove out of the betterment clause with them.
garethXC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to garethXC For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 15th, 2020, 11:52   #26
bobby2000
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by airforced View Post
An interesting discussion which I will have to consider in 12 months time when my 3 years is up.

As a very low mileage user I would like to ask if any of the people who offer extended warranties take mileage into account when pricing up their warranties as 60,000 and 100,000 miles isn't of any interest to me. More likely that 10,000 and 15,000 miles would be the sort of mileage I would do over a 2 year period.
My XC60 is coming upto 3 year's old, end of September. It's now done just over 10k, I'm debating whether to take out a warranty or not. I'm thinking with my mileage probably not.
Old Aug 15th, 2020, 13:28   #27
Ringthane
VOC Member

LOL. I thought mine was low mileage at 10k in two years.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ringthane For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 15th, 2020, 16:18   #28
techwatcher
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby2000 View Post
My XC60 is coming upto 3 year's old, end of September. It's now done just over 10k, I'm debating whether to take out a warranty or not. I'm thinking with my mileage probably not.
Personally I wouldn't want to run a complex car like an XC60 without some form of warranty. When things do go wrong, repairs can get very expensive, very quickly.
Old Aug 15th, 2020, 16:18   #29
Whiterdesign
Master Member

Bobby I’m in the same boat, 3 years old in January with a fairly low mileage. Only had one problem, which was the air suspension Compressor which was replaced. I do think I will get an extended warranty which will give me peace of mind. It’s a gamble I know but adding 2 years warranty, and having the 5 year service package, will hopefully cover me until I change the car.
Old Aug 15th, 2020, 16:36   #30
bobby2000
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiterdesign View Post
Bobby I’m in the same boat, 3 years old in January with a fairly low mileage. Only had one problem, which was the air suspension Compressor which was replaced. I do think I will get an extended warranty which will give me peace of mind. It’s a gamble I know but adding 2 years warranty, and having the 5 year service package, will hopefully cover me until I change the car.
I've got the 5 year service plan. I did get a quote for extended warranty at the beginning of the year, @ £895 for 2 years. A lot of money if you don't make a claim. My thoughts are that any warranty company is in it to make money, so they are always on the winning side.
Touch wood the only thing I've had is the boot lid strut recall.
I'm still on the fence at the moment, but leaning towards not taking one out, because of my low mileage. It's just not being used except for long runs or if I need more than 2 seats.
My Smart car does all the running around.
The Following User Says Thank You to bobby2000 For This Useful Post: