Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Exhaust supports

Views : 1710

Replies : 19

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 6th, 2011, 12:39   #1
terrorcrane

Default Exhaust supports

I was getting a ginding noise from under the car and was worried it could be the suspension. Looked under and it just turned out to be the exhaust support behind the back box had rusted and broken. No problem I thought until I went to the garage and as all of the supports are welded to the exhaust I would have to replace the middle pipe and back box and a cost of £240+vat+labour. The exhaust is in very good condition so I didn't fancy parting with that sort of money.

In the end I've done a temporary repair with some round bar through the rubber supports and tack welding to the exhaust. Seems to work just as well but who knows how long it'll last. Who's bright idea was it at Volvo to do this? Surely a part like that should be considered a consumable and you should be able to get a replacement without having to but the whole thing.

In the end it only cost me £20 for a chap to do the welding for me. Rant over!
terrorcrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6th, 2011, 12:48   #2
RAN60
Master Member

They do a genuine replacement part for this for about £24 mind, very common problem it seems
RAN60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6th, 2011, 12:51   #3
buffalo4

buffalo4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6th, 2011, 14:57   #4
chiptivo
Premier Member

Looked at two of the mounts whilst replacing my shoes the other day. Rusted like mad...

How and what is the fix??
chiptivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6th, 2011, 15:10   #5
BobS
Master Member

Hi,

Quote:
Looked at two of the mounts whilst replacing my shoes the other day. Rusted like mad...

How and what is the fix??
I have changed both middle and rear brackets on my V70.

There are several sellers of these brackets which comprise a shaped 'U' bolt with a welded bar that replaces the hanger. they just bolt on to the exhaust pipe. you may have to saw and clean the remains of the old hanger?

These can be bought from Volvo or eBay. Ebay will usually show a picture of it.

It's a 15min fix.

Here is one from eBay. (not used this seller so can't recommend either way).
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VOLVO-V70-S60-...item1c19a16103

Note: the middle and rear brackets are different so get the correct one?

Bob
PS make sure you get one for the Mk2 V70 and not the Mk1 V70.

Last edited by BobS; Apr 6th, 2011 at 15:12.
BobS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BobS For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 6th, 2011, 15:23   #6
terrorcrane

Thanks for the info for the future Bob, I think the rear one may need doing in a bit as well. I was suprised that the exhaust is in such good condition but the hangers are rusting to hell
terrorcrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6th, 2011, 17:00   #7
bogart
Master Member

Yet another good design! The replacement brackets take minutes to fix. Pity most garages don't know , or don't want to know, of their existance.
bogart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6th, 2011, 20:18   #8
richard s

i had to replace the exhaust bracket on my car last saturday. i went to volvo and got the proper repair bracket for £30 plus vat. the plus side of it was my car was repaired a hour later and i didnt have to wait for the postman to turn up
richard s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6th, 2011, 20:52   #9
TiredGeek
Master Member

Try a local indi for the part. It's soooooo common many have them on the shelf, I paid £16 fitted, main stealer wanted £35 + fitting

Defected to BMW. 335d xdrive.
TiredGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6th, 2011, 21:27   #10
noscralc

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAN60 View Post
They do a genuine replacement part for this for about £24 mind, very common problem it seems
had the same problem with my 03 v70 so made a new one easy.the 2 bits that go thro the rubbers were fine so removed these,got an exhaust clamp to go round the pipe and welded the 2 lugs on that go in the support rubbers---took about 20 mins[ after tacking pieces on for correct alignment]obvouisly you need a welder but should be able to mock up perhaps superglue the bits in place then get someone to weld up properly.its been on about 14 months now and is still sound.
cost me nowt as i already had the clamp.

Last edited by noscralc; Apr 6th, 2011 at 21:36. Reason: thought o something else
noscralc is offline   Reply With Quote