Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

electric window up and down!

Views : 3576

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 25th, 2011, 09:06   #1
anthonyh

Default electric window up and down!

Hi all question re my 2001 v70... sometimes when im trying to close the drivers window it decides to go down of its own accord, after going up!
I guess its something to do with a sensor or timing of the movement
Any one shed some light on this?
anthonyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2011, 09:16   #2
roundyuk

Mine sort of does this, goes all the way to the top and drops back a bit....annoying as I was trying to reset the auto up and down and I can't get the up to complete as it drops...

(You press down and hold for about 10 secs after the window rests, and then the same for up)
roundyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2011, 09:24   #3
Bill_56
Premier Member

Mine's currently doing this every time, if you use the 'one-touch' facility. It rises to about 80%, then opens all the way again. I think it's probably a safety feature gone wrong, intended as a safeguard if it detects resistance which could be a caused by child's neck, or whatever.

I'll need to get mine seen to, preferably before it jams open in torrential rain at the M6 toll booths. Meanwhile, it seems OK as long as I hold my finger down on the button to close the window, rather than use the 'one-touch'.
Bill_56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2011, 11:46   #4
Missing Lincs
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_56 View Post
Mine's currently doing this every time, if you use the 'one-touch' facility. It rises to about 80%, then opens all the way again. I think it's probably a safety feature gone wrong, intended as a safeguard if it detects resistance which could be a caused by child's neck, or whatever.
The mechanism is supposed to detect jams or obstructions when the glass closes. As things get older and worn more friction builds up which can be detected as a jam.
Try silicon spray on the channel in the rubbers around the window glass. Sometimes this helps by reducing friction as the glass closes. Also try lubricating the runners inside the door. Even if the mechanism is getting worn a bit of TLC can help.
Missing Lincs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2011, 12:10   #5
steptoe_69

I Agree with missing lincs, mine done the same a tin of silicon later on the rubbers and it has never done again.
Old May 25th, 2011, 15:59   #6
S60D5SE
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonyh View Post
Hi all question re my 2001 v70... sometimes when im trying to close the drivers window it decides to go down of its own accord, after going up!
I guess its something to do with a sensor or timing of the movement
Any one shed some light on this?
If it DOESN'T do it EVERY time you close it, this is the auto trap mechanism that prevents (or is supposed to prevent) serious injury if a person were to have a part of their anatomy in the way of a closing window. This can be triggered by tightness in the window slides or closing mechanism - this makes the electronics think there's something in the way, and opens the window.

If EVERY time you use the auto close feature the window goes to the top (closes fully) then bounces back to wherever it started from (note - this may not be the fully open position) then the window position electronics need re-calibrating with VIDA or something similar.

I had this problem on my S60 - and although there are supposed to be "hold the buttons up for 5 to 8 seconds then switch the ignition of and on twice" methods to recalibrate the windows this did not work for me.

The way to fix it was to have volvo (or someone with VIDA) recalibrate the window. It's a 2 minute job, mine has been fine since being done.

Hope this helps

John.

Last edited by S60D5SE; May 25th, 2011 at 16:01.
S60D5SE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2011, 16:33   #7
teefin

I had the same problem and confirmed wear of the flock of the rubbers. These were replaced and no issues since. I am aware of the silicon spray solution as well works but mine was under warranty so went for the new seal solution.