Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo S60 premium sound system

Views : 17594

Replies : 53

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 6th, 2011, 19:31   #1
RS LOZWORTH

Default Volvo S60 premium sound system

Ive orderd my new volvo s60 with this sound system....

Premium multimedia sound system with dolby prologicII surround and radio/DVD. 5x130w amp/ 12 speakers and bluetooth with USB

Has anyone been in a car with this in?

Im expecting something amazing!

RS LOZWORTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6th, 2011, 19:37   #2
volvorocks
Rodney

Quote:
Originally Posted by RS LOZWORTH View Post
Ive orderd my new volvo s60 with this sound system....

Premium multimedia sound system with dolby prologicII surround and radio/DVD. 5x130w amp/ 12 speakers and bluetooth with USB

Has anyone been in a car with this in?

Im expecting something amazing!

Good system although not as good as Volvos older Dynaudio.
Not very loud either considering its 130w.

I myself am disapointed with Volvos "Performance" "Hi Performance and "Premium" systems as I consider the sound does not match the name. Just my opinion mind and many will disagree.Just depends how much you like music.They do sound OK although IMO not worth the money.

Whether you find it amazing will depend on what your used to.
If youve had Bowers Wilkins or Mark Levinson then its poor. If youve had standard car hi-fi then it will be amazing.

Weve got "High Performance" and Premium. There is a difference although not an excessive difference.

regards
volvorocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6th, 2011, 21:47   #3
RS LOZWORTH

I currently have an S40 with the high performance system think it's 4x40 watt, I was hoping the new system would be louder more bass and generally better sound quality and the doors not to rattle when it's on loud lol
Old Oct 6th, 2011, 22:01   #4
volvorocks
Rodney

Quote:
Originally Posted by RS LOZWORTH View Post
I currently have an S40 with the high performance system think it's 4x40 watt, I was hoping the new system would be louder more bass and generally better sound quality and the doors not to rattle when it's on loud lol
Comparing new S60 (hi-perf) with XC60 (premium) I would have to say XC premium sounds better - less tinny - bass a bit deeper - not as metallic .So it should as it was over £600 upgrade. Was it worth £600? I do not feel it was. It sounds fine although I have heard better for the same or less.

If you listen to the premium with engine switched off overlooking a beautiful view (think Norway) and the sound is sweet.Turn it up a bit and the sound is still sweet although not that loud nor worth £1200 over the base system or £600 over the hi-performance.

Have a look at my profile and album where I have placed a photo of the premium equalizer settings I use in the XC for another member.Please do look.

On the sound setting (not pictured - left hand big round dial on floating console) I have bass a bit over half, treble full, DPL surround on full on both settings, fader middle, balance middle,and set to "for driver"

You may not be as disapointed as me , your ears may be different than mine.

If you use the USB with say a memory stick ensure you get a fast good memory stick and transfer from your PC at the best rate...is it lossless(I am not that computer savvy!!)

Hope you enjoy though and your thoughts and opinion when you are in possession are welcomed.

Regards
Old Oct 7th, 2011, 15:48   #5
dme123
Master Member

Volvo sound systems have been some of the best in the business for a long time. Even the basic system in the P2 V70/V60 was better than the "premium" and very expensive system in my last S-Type Jaguar, and the system with the seperate amplifier and 9 speakers in my 2004 car is excellent for something that was standard on all SE spec cars.

I'd love to give the 11 speaker system with the sub in the boot a try...
dme123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7th, 2011, 15:58   #6
volvorocks
Rodney

Quote:
Originally Posted by dme123 View Post
Volvo sound systems have been some of the best in the business for a long time. Even the basic system in the P2 V70/V60 was better than the "premium" and very expensive system in my last S-Type Jaguar, and the system with the seperate amplifier and 9 speakers in my 2004 car is excellent for something that was standard on all SE spec cars.

I'd love to give the 11 speaker system with the sub in the boot a try...
Stereo sytems in older Volvos were indeed very good. However the latest stereos in new Volvos are a step down unfortunately IMO
Old Oct 7th, 2011, 16:05   #7
kebab10
Premier Member

I thought the sound system in the 97 V40 I used to have was good, the one in the present 2005 V50; the high performance one is pretty good. A few months ago I had a chance to drive Lexus hybrid cars.

Personally I think they are a waste of money. The £100,000 car I drove had about 2 dozen speakers all over the place, sounded okay. The £20+,000 IS200d was not as good as the Volvo. Bigger engine, finish was worse than Volvo and not impressed. Volvo sound systems arent bad.
kebab10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10th, 2011, 12:28   #8
fenton_jd
turkeyspace.com

The main issue is the cars acoustic setup. Even with the High Performance system in the S40, things rattle if the bass is high and at high volume the sound begins to distort.

The 4x40 watts is not enough power for the system.

You can buy an average pair of £20 coaxil front door speakers than need 80 watts per channel to adequately power them.

The trick with these newer volvo's is get your own equipment in there, without messing up the appearance of the dashboard!

Last edited by fenton_jd; Oct 10th, 2011 at 12:35.
fenton_jd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10th, 2011, 13:00   #9
Simeyb
SimeyB

The sound system in my 10 year old S60 T5 SE is better than the Dynaudio in our C30 - much richer basier sounds
Simeyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10th, 2011, 16:47   #10
RS LOZWORTH

Im not sure if i should regret paying the £1200 for the premium sound system now. i thought the 4x40w in my current s40 as good so im expecting something amazing from 5x130w, im unsure now!
The Following User Says Thank You to RS LOZWORTH For This Useful Post: