Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 400 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

400 Series General Forum for the Volvo 440, 460 and 480 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

440 Headlight Removal/Repair

Views : 869

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 26th, 2008, 09:49   #1
westcoast

Unhappy 440 Headlight Removal/Repair

Hi Everyone,

Newbie here looking for some help. My 440 failed her MOT due to o/s Headlight - something about light pattern. I can't see anything wrong with it from the outside so I guess I need to remove it and have a look. This is where I need your help before I go pulling the thing apart. Any hints and tips welcome.

cheers
westcoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26th, 2008, 16:07   #2
Bruce_T

Pattern or Allignment?

If its pattern is it because its a european headlight glass?

Allignment, cant they adjust the allignment? ( ALL MOT testing stations CAN do this) and re-test?
Bruce_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27th, 2008, 14:13   #3
westcoast

It was pattern. I'm not sure why though as nothing has changed since last mot. Light looks ok to me. I'm just going to bite the bullet and replace both headlights with new ones. Ouch!
Old Jan 30th, 2008, 18:22   #4
nano

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoast View Post
It was pattern. I'm not sure why though as nothing has changed since last mot. Light looks ok to me. I'm just going to bite the bullet and replace both headlights with new ones. Ouch!
In that cars the pattern is formed by the external crystal. Also it can be affeted by the bulb type and the bulb positioning. If you have not changed anything on the crystals, then you have to check if the bulb's sockets are firmly sitting and that the bulbs are the correct type for this vehicle.
nano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31st, 2008, 10:10   #5
B20F
Master Member

Or the chrome reflector is damaged/rusted due to water entering the headlight. This would also change the light pattern.
Old Feb 1st, 2008, 22:15   #6
westcoast

Thanks everyone. Bulb had not changed and I couldn't see any water damage inside the light so I just took the hit and paid £142 for a replacement headlight from Volvo dealer. It appears that these parts are not available elsewhere - I tried all the major factors that I could think of. Anyway, cheers for advice, I'm sure I will be back, but for now, the problem has been sorted.

Happy motoring.

Westcoast :-)