Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 400 Series General

Notices

400 Series General Forum for the Volvo 440, 460 and 480 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

440 Flat Batter (Again!)

Views : 7580

Replies : 111

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 9th, 2008, 18:23   #61
stevo48
Premier Member

It sounds like you may have a faulty battery, I would take the battery off altogether, charge it up fully then see how much if any power it loses overnight in the house/garage not connected to anything.
stevo48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9th, 2008, 18:46   #62
jlgrosvenor

Bruce_T

If you live anywhere near Derbyshire/South Yorks border, I have a battery that you can try/have for free that has just come out of my car. I know it is on the way out, it only holds it's charge when unused currently for about 1 week to 10 days depending on weather. This would be good enough to see if you car affects other batteries.

Even if you replace the battery, with a drain of 0.2A, you may find that over time this in itself will prematurely knacker the battery, as any prolonged periods will deep drain the battery - obviously bad, as this physically can damage the battery.
jlgrosvenor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9th, 2008, 22:25   #63
Bruce_T

Hi,

Thanks for the offer. I live in Bristol.

I used 10AMP so the reading of 0.20amp so the decimal space may actaully only be say 0.02amp if I used 2Amp to measure?

So your saying my car is draining the battery?
Bruce_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10th, 2008, 09:51   #64
Bruce_T

11.93V this morning.

The car started ok at this voltage.

The battery didnt lose anymore charge.

Ill check the battery at lunch (its not connected to the car atm) and see what it reads.

Im just confused now as whats causing this.

Think ill just take it back to the garage where I bought it from on Friday and see what they say.
Old Jan 10th, 2008, 11:24   #65
jlgrosvenor

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo48 View Post
It sounds like you may have a faulty battery, I would take the battery off altogether, charge it up fully then see how much if any power it loses overnight in the house/garage not connected to anything.
If you have the time, I agree with this idea.

If the battery after charging can remain stable for a long period of time at ~12.6V then the battery is O.K. If the voltage drops quickly (within 24 hours) once fully charged, and not connected to anything - it's deffinately the battery. This is based on my assumption that as the battery is new, the small current drain you are experiencing would not damage a battery enough in just a week or two. It would have to be left connected to the car for prolonged periods of time without use for this damage to happen, if at all.

It is unlikely that the garage will be able to tell if the battery is O.K. in a very short amount of time.
jlgrosvenor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10th, 2008, 11:27   #66
JIM C
Forum Support Team

I think the battery is faulty as shows the same fault as the one I had in my V70. It is gradually losing its charge and then eventually has not got enough power to start the car.
Old Jan 10th, 2008, 11:59   #67
Bruce_T

I bought the battery on the 23rd Nov. So its been fitted on the car for just over a month and week or so.

In that time the longest the car has been stood was 3 nights.

My battery is never at 12.6v (Unless running) after 5 minute of the vehicle been stopped after a run it drops to below 12.2 and then 11.90-12.02 after 12-14 hours not connected.
Old Jan 10th, 2008, 14:11   #68
JIM C
Forum Support Team

The new battery I bought was only weeks old when I had it replaced with the same fault.
Best of luck
Jim
Old Jan 17th, 2008, 01:07   #69
mattsbroken440

Default dead battery on 440 that wont even jump start & its new!

hey guys. I'm having the same problem with my N reg 440 in that if i leave it for 4 or 5 days the battery goes completely flat. Got the battery changed... again.... two weeks ago, went away for 5 days and now its dead again. The prob is that it wont even jump start, the immoboliser just about goes off but then when i turn the key it just clicks and dies.... any ideas? anyone heard of the alternator shorting out when the cars off or something? The garage checked the alternator when changing the battery tho and all was fine.... got me baffled....
mattsbroken440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17th, 2008, 01:24   #70
stevo48
Premier Member

As above, first you have to eliminate any possible drain on the battery, try giving the battery a full charge then leave it totally disconnected overnight and then test it to see if it is holding its charge.
If as you say you came back from a 5 day absence from your car and the battery was completely discharged then the chances are something drained the battery and as such it will have damaged the battery (they do not hold up too well if drained completely flat).
You may well have to buy/borrow a new battery and try leaving it firstly, connected to the car and check the power drain after, say, 8hrs, then leave it disconnected over the same period of time and do the same tests, this will determine whether you have something draining the battery or not.
stevo48 is offline   Reply With Quote