Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General > PV, 120, 1800 Sales
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Grey speedo faces

Views : 900

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 26th, 2011, 11:20   #1
940_Turbo

Default Grey speedo faces

I'm going to get a couple of speedo faces re finished. They'll be powder coated in grey wrinkle finish. The finish is NOT an exact match. To get the exact finish it has to be specially ordered and there is a minimum charge of £2500 + delivery + VAT. It's not going to happen.

However I've found someone who has a very limited quantity of a grey wrinkle material that is acceptable to me in stock. Does anyone want theirs done? If so I need a stripped speedo face in the next 10 days (all paint removed, jewels out).

I expect each face to cost about £25, depending on the quantity I send in. This is based on minimum order size, rather than individual cost.
940_Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 940_Turbo For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 26th, 2011, 11:39   #2
222s
Amazoniste

I'm interested! How different from the original though - i.e. is it the colour or texture (or both) that isn't exact?

Will dig out my spare speedo and extract the face plate tonight

Paul - 1967 Amazon 222S B20 o/d Estate & 1961 A-H Sprite Mk2 948cc

WANTED - For '67 Amazon estate - offside rear quarter, preferably new old stock.
222s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26th, 2011, 17:30   #3
agent_strangelove
Pastry Engineer

More than a few of the local folks have just used grey chrinkle paint that you can get at the local auto parts store. I don't remember the brand off the top of my head but it's a really close match. Odds are you can find it on that side of the pond.

Some folks have popped out the lens for the high beam, turn signal etc. Others have just spent like an hour masking bits off and had luck that way.

Chris
agent_strangelove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26th, 2011, 20:25   #4
940_Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by agent_strangelove View Post
More than a few of the local folks have just used grey chrinkle paint that you can get at the local auto parts store. I don't remember the brand off the top of my head but it's a really close match. Odds are you can find it on that side of the pond.

Some folks have popped out the lens for the high beam, turn signal etc. Others have just spent like an hour masking bits off and had luck that way.

Chris
As far as I know none of the usual suspects like Sperex make grey wrinkle finish. They used to, but they don't now. I still have a rattle can of it but it's way too dark.

It's also hard to get it evenly applied with a rattle can because the speedo face isn't flat. The thickness of the paint varies, and that in turn gives a great variation in the wrinkles.

Hence my quest to re finish these.
Old Aug 26th, 2011, 20:26   #5
940_Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 222s View Post
I'm interested! How different from the original though - i.e. is it the colour or texture (or both) that isn't exact?

Will dig out my spare speedo and extract the face plate tonight
It'll be fairly close, but the shade of grey is a bit off, it's slightly too dark. It is a fine wrinkle finish.
Old Aug 27th, 2011, 10:22   #6
940_Turbo

Ignore this, I've decided not to go any further with it.
Old Aug 28th, 2011, 13:48   #7
Derek UK
VOC Member

I started on a similar project a few months ago and seached everywhere for grey wrinkle paint. Could only find black and red. Certainly, white used to be avilable. My plan with the use of the black paint was to then give a light overpaint using a suitable grey, probably model paint, and hope to keep some of the texture. It's a rather odd grey with a bit of olive in it. Still havent found a suitable colour. I won a good speedo on the bay with unboken paint which took the pressure off. Yes, this is a spare KPH one so good for experimenting.

I didn't realise it was wrinkle until I looked at it under a magnifying glass, it's very fine texture.
Recently saw a pic of a speedo where the brass was chromed. Negates the anti glare of course but looked very smart.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote