Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Clutch slow activation in 2nd Gear

Views : 351

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 30th, 2017, 18:51   #1
GekkePrutser

Default Clutch slow activation in 2nd Gear

Hi Everyone,

I was just wondering if any of you have seen this before. It's pretty weird. At least, I think so. I'm not a mechanical person I'm good with electronics but the mechanical part of cars isn't my thing. So sorry if this is a stupid question

I have a 2005 S40 (in Ireland) and today I noticed something strange. After I switch to 2nd gear and accelerate, the engine revs up a lot, then suddenly the acceleration kicks in and the revs go back to normal. It's as if I didn't have the clutch released during the first second, but I do! It took me a bit to notice as I used to drive a (tiptronic) automatic where this was normal. But on a manual this definitely isn't and my car never did this before.

Strange enough it doesn't seem to happen in 1st, haven't tried the other gears yet since I started doing this (friday afternoon traffic.... :X)

The clutch pedal retracts as normal, so I'm thinking that either there's something weird going on with the hydraulics or the clutch plates are work and slipping. Hoping that's not the case as I presume a plate replacement is quite costly. I did brake quite hard a few minutes before the clutch started acting up (might have to do with it as I read somewhere they share hydraulics?)

The gearbox changes have also felt noticeably less smooth during the last month. I've had a lot of mis-changes recently where I'm pretty sure I did it right but it feels like it's resisting. So that makes me suspect the hydraulics, as is the clutch is not engaging fully. But I haven't seen the clutch activating slowly after a gear change until today.

I also have some weird electronic issues, like my dash temperature is reading about 10 degrees lower than it should be and I have to compensate by setting the AC to low. Been meaning to look at that but obviously it's not an urgent issue. Might point to other electronics issues though. But I don't think there's anything electronic involving the clutch activation on these old models, right?

Any ideas would be very welcome!

PS: I checked the OBD errors but there was nothing pertaining to the clutch. Just the U1900 "Network" error I've been constantly having and a "P2123 Powertrain - Throttle / Pedal Position Sensor / Switch D Circuit High Input" which had since cleared, probably happened during a false start which I've been having a few times (need a new battery too ). However I'm not sure if the ECU even monitors clutch performance. I doubt it.

I also tried to release the clutch with the handbrake on and it is powerful enough to stall it.

Last edited by GekkePrutser; Jun 30th, 2017 at 19:18.
GekkePrutser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3rd, 2017, 12:30   #2
scoobysn7x
Premier Member

Re the temperature, there's a known weak point in the passenger door loom (the temp sensor is in the passenger mirror), disconnect the door harness clean and put back together this may help or it it still persists it may require a new door harness.

The clutch problem you describe sounds like the clutch starting to slip, mine did it just before the clutch went but was very noticeable in 3rd gear accelarating hard and about 2000-2500rpm the revs would rise but the speed wouldn't then they would catch up, luckily happened shortly after I got the car and the garage replaced the clutch for me free of charge :-)
scoobysn7x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3rd, 2017, 14:36   #3
LizardOfBodom
WowIcanwriteAnythingHere!

Hi from Eire
Can you observe where is the "biting point" of the clutch? Normally it should be fairly low to the floor so releasing it car should "engage" fairly quick. If your one is very high and there is a lot of "dead travel" from max press to release, before car starts moving, it may indeed be slipping clutch :/
Old Jul 4th, 2017, 15:19   #4
GekkePrutser

Thanks to you both!

I haven't noticed it since - Maybe that emergency stop before made things a bit worse. Even though it was a few minutes prior. And I was going uphill at that point (pretty steep), haven't been to that area since. But what you're describing (scoobysn7x) is exactly what I'm seeing so it does not look good.

LizardOfBodom, also thanks! I will have a look at that when I get in the car this afternoon.

Really hope it's not the clutch... I really like this car but it's getting on and I don't know if it will be prohibitively expensive.

And thanks also about the tip for the loom. Seems to be a common problem in general - I also had to replace the trunk one (and judging from the bodge repairs I wasn't the first one to mess with it ). Luckily they're not that expensive and something I can do myself. I don't really care about the indicator of course so I would have just left it, but it affects the climate control as well.

Last edited by GekkePrutser; Jul 4th, 2017 at 15:22.
GekkePrutser is offline   Reply With Quote