Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New S40 2.0D - Plastic burning smell & bad performance

Views : 2876

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 31st, 2006, 22:32   #1
SRL

Default New S40 2.0D - Plastic burning smell & bad performance

Any help on this would be very grateful.

I have a new 2005 S40 2.0D with only 800 miles and have just started to experience some performance issues.
This issue is very intermittent and behaves as follows:
While driving the car it will suddenly start to loose power, feeling like it's going to stall. The mileage also drops to below 30mpg. When this happens and you park up the car and get out, you notice a plastic burning smell.

Another concern is that the car takes up to 6 miles before it gets to operating temperature. Is this normal for the 2.0D or could it be a lazy thermostat valve sticking open?

Many thanks for any help or ideas.
SRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31st, 2006, 22:42   #2
John_C
Allons-y!

Re the power loss and smell: Take it straight back to the dealer, get one of their cars while they sort it out, don't even bother trying to diagnose it yourself. With a car this new you shouldn't have to bother with it. If they say no fault found don't accept it and keep pushing them to sort it unless they can give you a sensible explanation/solution.

Re the temp: 6 miles to get up to temp could be fine for that model of diesel, it depends how it is driven and the characteristics of the engine and I don't know enough about them to comment on that. Again I would check with the dealer.

Not trying to fob you off, I've not heard of that before but am no expert on the 2.0D - as far as I'm concerned with only 800 miles on the clock I would just take it back and get it sorted.

Cheers
J
John_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31st, 2006, 23:02   #3
imac
Premier Member

6 Miles is fine. My D5 takes forever to warm up - but its not just mine either, they all seem to do it in this weather.

Usually I go about 1.5-2.0 miles before it starts to move, and then takes a further 4-7 miles before its fully vertical. Depends on the type of driving and ambient temps, but yes it takes forever!
imac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1st, 2006, 10:25   #4
Marmoset

Diesels do take longer to warm up, I reckon mine takes about 3-4 miles to get water temp up and I'd bet a whole lot longer for the oil temp to rise.

Best thing to do is get it back to the dealer asap - could be a turbo failure. Are tehre any warnings on dash? It'd be pretty unusual if not - the car usually tells you that somethings gone pear shaped.
Marmoset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2nd, 2006, 19:31   #5
SRL

Default New S40 2.0D - Plastic burning smell & bad performance

Many thanks to everyone for your feedback.

I'm pleased to hear that the warmup period is normal and not an indication of an issue.

The dealer is collecting the car this Monday regards the burning smell and poor running.

Will let you know the outcome.
Old Feb 6th, 2006, 20:20   #6
SRL

Default New S40 Hesitation at 3000rpm + burning plastic smell

Hi all

Volvo collected and returned the car today.

The work that they carried out was to update the engine software, reset the injectors and carried out a DIM upgrade. They were not able to comment on the plastic burning smell as it was not happening at that time.

Hopfully things will now improve?
Old Feb 6th, 2006, 21:48   #7
Jet2 D5
VOC Member

Question Carbon filter?

Does your model have a carbon filter? My new S60 D5 does and there have been occasions when the engine became very hot and smells. When this has occurred I think it has gone into a regeneration cycle during which the instant mpg reduced by 40-50% under known conditions. The operation is quite random and there is no logical reason from how the car is driven that recycling should have been required.

The dealer consulted Volvo and confirmed my diagnosis but technical detail has not been forthcoming to date and at this stage I regard the system is a malfunctioning!

2006 S60 D5 SE
Jet2 D5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7th, 2006, 21:24   #8
MarkE
Evenin'

I've had the burning plastic smell a few times but not accompanied by any loss of power or other symptoms - it normally goes in a minute or two so I'm never sure whether it's my car or something I've driven past.

Just realised this is probably not all that helpful - sorry...
revotechnik SEAT Leon Cupra R...Gone
S40 1.9D (115) Sport...Gone
MarkE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7th, 2006, 23:19   #9
SRL

Hi all

No, my model does not have the Carbon Filter.

The burning plastic smell coincides with the intermittent poor running. It smells quite strong when you get out of the car.

Since having the software upgrades done yesterday, the mileage appears to have improved.

So far, so good….
Old Feb 11th, 2006, 20:23   #10
MarkE
Evenin'

Spoke too soon. Tonight, the car was shuddering at around 1500rpm, as if it was going to stall. Looks like a call to the dealer might be in order on Monday.
revotechnik SEAT Leon Cupra R...Gone
S40 1.9D (115) Sport...Gone
MarkE is offline   Reply With Quote