Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Strange problem

Views : 1647

Replies : 19

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 14th, 2012, 16:03   #11
v40bart
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
yes it would for a while :-)
but you don't want much air leaking past when shut or if the engine started running on its own oil due to wear or a fault it would be impossible to stop it self destructing .
Unless you had a CO2 extinguisher handy to smother it...
Old Jul 19th, 2012, 20:37   #12
Father Adam
Master Member

Just a quick update in case anyone wants to know the outcome of this: I've booked the car in for Monday to see if they can pinpoint the problem; I'll report back again when I get it back
Father Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24th, 2012, 19:18   #13
Father Adam
Master Member

Well I've got the car back and the problem was the throttle housing, which was sticking (spot on Clan) I think after I cleaned it the dirt had gone and the butterfly could go just that bit further, hence the sticking. Graham did clean it again but it still had problems, so they've fitted a new one. Also whilst they were there they found a big leak on the EGR pipe (throttle side) after a smoke test and two 'o'rings it's fine; as should be the economy too. They also found various diagnostic faults due to me fitting the non original steering wheel, they've put new software on and that's reset the faults there. I also had the wheels aligned, which was a good job as it was massively out apparently.

They should be getting a new piece of hardware in the near future, which Graham said should be able to switch the cruise control on, as I've fitted a wheel that has the buttons, but not the programming. The price from Volvo is roughly £400 for turning this feature on, so it would be great if Wrightson's could offer this facility in the future - V50 owners watch this space.

All in all I'm pleased, I can't praise Graham Wrightson's enough, a top garage in my opinion
The Following User Says Thank You to Father Adam For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 25th, 2012, 02:12   #14
noney82
Master Member

What's the price on a new throttle housing
noney82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25th, 2012, 18:10   #15
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by noney82 View Post
What's the price on a new throttle housing
they are around £70
Old Jul 25th, 2012, 23:31   #16
x DTR x
Premier Member

Had that very same problem tonight, wouldn't quite fire up i;e no revs and a plume of smoke! Recently cleaned my throttle body too but it done it once before prior to cleaning it? Thought it was something to do with all the damp weather we were having!

2005 V50 2.0 SE Sport
1999 S40 1.8 Gdi
1993 460 1.7 LX
x DTR x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26th, 2012, 01:33   #17
noney82
Master Member

My issue is a bit different, I have no rev issues or smoke just hesitation(flat spots) at times, I'm wondering if mine just.needs a clean?

Thank you for pm clan,
Old Jul 26th, 2012, 10:09   #18
Father Adam
Master Member

Sorry, only just noticed there were some replies to the thread

My new throttle housing was £82.80. As I said, the problem only occurred after cleaning it, which leads me to think the carbon build up was stopping it from closing fully, once clean though I think the flap went back that little bit further and stuck. So either get a new one or don't clean it
Old Jul 26th, 2012, 18:21   #19
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by noney82 View Post
My issue is a bit different, I have no rev issues or smoke just hesitation(flat spots) at times, I'm wondering if mine just.needs a clean?

Thank you for pm clan,
you are welcome .
The problem is the housing distorts due to the boost pipe being clamped around it and the flap jams in the oval casing . the spring is very strong and able to clear any dirt around the edge of the throttle .
Old Jul 28th, 2012, 14:14   #20
noney82
Master Member

iv just had a poke about under the bonnet and i have a double throttle. why? on the right hand side butterfly switch (where the vac pipe connects), is dripping with black oil. very odd.