Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

1.6 diesel shaking violently

Views : 7339

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 29th, 2015, 08:23   #1
Hribi

Default 1.6 diesel shaking violently

Hi,

I have a Volvo V50 with a 1.6 diesel engine. This is my first diesel volvo and I have some concerns with it. The engine shakes like my old 1975 series land rover diesel. I have chacked the motor mounts they are all ok, the engine has normal power when driving and there are no errors to be found on the display. Does anyone have any idea what this could be? I am concerned that by driving I am making more damage to it.

The flywheel has already been changed

Thanks Ziga
Hribi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2015, 09:04   #2
torroa

It could be the crankshaft pulley / Harmonic balancer. Have a look at the tensioner pulley and see if it is jumping when the car is running. It is not an uncommon problem with the PSA engine.

My crankshaft pulley separated a year ago and it resulted in a quite badly engine shake. Another telltale could be brown dust on and around the crankshaft pulley itself.

Main bearings usually last, but problems with the injectors could also be causing this. Check for injector blow-by, oil/tar like substance around one or more of the injectors. Also a leak-off test could be done.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0181.jpg (158.1 KB, 44 views)
torroa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2015, 14:47   #3
Hribi

Thank you for the quick replay, I am looking into it.
Old Jun 15th, 2015, 19:11   #4
Hribi

OK the situation is as follows. I checked the crankshaft pulley it looks like new I also had a look at the AC belt tensioner it was OK.

Had to go to a Volvo dealership where they diagnosed a injection timing failure. The new problem appeared when they tried to remap the computer but every time they would turnoff the car to cool down it deleted the new map so the fuel filter was changed out, everything was OK.

Setting the timing reduced the shaking about 50% but the engine is still not running smoothly. I also added a cleaner to the fuel for cleaning and lubrication of the injectors. Got it to run fine but after I used it all up it started to shake again.

Did some more research and found out the 1.6 diesel (D2) engine is known to have problem with injector jamming.

Next stop is taking out the injectors and having them tested.
Old Jul 6th, 2015, 14:19   #5
Hribi

Got a new error P02D100 - Cylinder 3 learning injection displacement max level can anyone explane this?
Old Oct 20th, 2015, 13:32   #6
Rakel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hribi View Post
Got a new error P02D100 - Cylinder 3 learning injection displacement max level can anyone explane this?
I have the same problem.
Any idea?
Rakel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20th, 2015, 14:49   #7
joe1961
VOC Member

I had a similar problem with my 2012 C30 D2 - vibration & rattle
Turned out that the injectors needed re-calibrating.
Took them 3 days and 300km to do the job (injectors didn't retain the computer changes so it had to be done a few times).
Old Mar 30th, 2016, 07:30   #8
skal

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe1961 View Post
I had a similar problem with my 2012 C30 D2 - vibration & rattle
Turned out that the injectors needed re-calibrating.
Took them 3 days and 300km to do the job (injectors didn't retain the computer changes so it had to be done a few times).
Hi joe1961
tell me please , the vibration was at cold start for the firt 2 - 5 minutes or it was permanent even engine was warm ?
i have a new V40 D2 MY15 and at cold start have vibration at 1200 - 1400 rpm and the rpm needle in dashboard jumping slightly up/down. After 2 - 5 minutes the is better , the needle doesn t jumping but i can feel a vibration at 1200 - 1400 rpm. Your C30 had same symptoms ?
skal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7th, 2016, 08:43   #9
fredriknordstrom

Hello!

Will try to make myself understood, I'm from Sweden and I write not so good in English. But I make an effort when no Swedish forum help me so far.

I have the same problem you have with my Volvo V60 D2. The car loses power every now and then and I have visited Volvo 7-8 times. I have changed injector 1 and 2. No difference, then they changed the EGR valve, then the car was fine until this autumn when the cold began to come, when the problems started again. They have also been calibrated injectors on a couple of times. Now I have the error code injector third

The codes will look like this:
P02D000
P02D100
U016700 - there is a code of the ignition lock, apparently quite common, which need not include an error.

Have you got further in your case? What is the problem?
fredriknordstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7th, 2016, 09:02   #10
axle4

Your English is good so don't apologize for it, I wonder how many English people could write in Swedish?
axle4 is offline   Reply With Quote