Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V50 S40 Recall

Views : 356234

Replies : 106

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 22nd, 2014, 02:41   #81
arisetobe

Did you try this?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CEM.jpg (112.4 KB, 134 views)
Old Jul 22nd, 2014, 13:47   #82
CarpyV50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wibblebum View Post
Hi all, I'm after a bit of urgentish advice!

My car (V50 '08 plate) is due a washer bottle recall and is goig in on Monday. I'm wondering what the symptoms of the issues are, as I'm having major problems with the car and I suspect they may be related.

My 2 issues are:
My airbag warning light came on a few weeks ago with an SRS Urgent Service warning (or something similar) on the display.

A couple of weeks later and I start having problems starting the car. It was sluggish starting / turning over (although intermittently started fine), but would eventually catch and then was fine. Last weekend I broke down. The car wouldn't start at all. There was a single click on turning the ignition (solenoid?) but otherwise nothing. The breakdown guy got me started very easily by turning off all the electrics and depressing the clutch. How stupid did I look...! However he did comment on the slow turnover being sluggish, and said it could be battery or starter motor.

I took the car to my local independent garage on Tuesday (the dealer is 20 odd miles away stuck in the back end of nowhere on a trading estate with crappy transport links) who plugged it in, and suggested the battery was on the way out, so fitted a new one. I was still a little sluggish starting, however seemed better, and got me around without any problems however still wasn't right. I took it back to the garage yesterday morning, and he told me to bring it back that evening and he'd check the current over the starter motor. I did pop in but he didn't have time to see me, but the car did seemingly nearly shake itself to dealth starting up as I was leaving. However after driving home, I had to pop to the vets to pick the dog up. The car wouldn't start or turn over (at all) even after turning off all the electrics. Battery was clearly fine as all lights were blazing and no warning light. I had to go to a garage next to the vets to ask them if they could push start me (and they charged £20 for the pleasure). Even that nearly didn't work.

So basically my car is parked on a hill so I can roll start it but I've taken today off work as there aren't any hills there and I doubt the car will start!

I understand that some of the issues that may be encountered because of this recall are around the Electrics, so water affecting wiring loom and the CEM (or whatever its called?), so that may (probably will) account for the airbag light. One of the dealer mechanics suggested this might be the case, one of them tried to wriggle his way out, so I don't massively trust the dealer to tell me the truth and not try to charge me stupid amounts of money. Might the recall issues also account for the starting problems? I did read somewhere that one symptom was that cars wouldn't start, and I'm fairly sure the dealer service people said the same.

Basically, if the problems aren't likely to be recall related, I can take the car to the local garage now and get them to look at it. However I've already been charged £100 for a new battery it seems I didn't actually need.

Or I can leave it till Monday, be carless for the weekend, hope to god it starts, and get the dealer to look at it, but if its not to do with the recall, they'll charge me dealer prices.

Any help appreciated!!
Did you get to the bottom of the non- starting as my V50 r-design SE auto sounds like it's going the same way. My alternator was changed under warranty then the CEM module went wrong and I had to replace as not under warranty, now problems starting.
CarpyV50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22nd, 2015, 12:53   #83
dejc

Any update on a D2 drive shaft recall? Longer shaft of my V50 makes banging noises when I drive off or when change gears between 1-4 gear while accelerating. Anyone with a recall came across with banging noises and behaviour?
dejc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5th, 2015, 16:37   #84
Athamas

Quote:
Originally Posted by dejc View Post
Any update on a D2 drive shaft recall? Longer shaft of my V50 makes banging noises when I drive off or when change gears between 1-4 gear while accelerating. Anyone with a recall came across with banging noises and behaviour?
On my V50 D2 Nov. 2010, both of drive shafts have the same "banking noises".
Everybody knows the problems about the drive shafts except Volvo.
Athamas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5th, 2015, 21:38   #85
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athamas View Post
On my V50 D2 Nov. 2010, both of drive shafts have the same "banking noises".
Everybody knows the problems about the drive shafts except Volvo.
they do know about it , as far as I know the cure was a new R/H driveshaft and a software ..
Old Dec 6th, 2015, 13:30   #86
dejc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
they do know about it , as far as I know the cure was a new R/H driveshaft and a software ..
That's true but not for all V50's with D2. Mine isn't included in that recall with same symptoms.
Old Dec 6th, 2015, 14:54   #87
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
That's true but not for all V50's with D2. Mine isn't included in that recall with same symptoms.
They should report it to their tech dept though , same happened with clutch master cylinders about 4 years ago , even now it's still on going as they do not know which cars had plastic push rods and which had metal ones ... It isnt a recall by the way ..
Old Dec 6th, 2015, 15:44   #88
dejc

@Clan I made a complaint about drive shaft at local Volvo shop, but they said my VIN isn't in the list of the faulty one. But they said it is on a list if I would have any issues with clutch master cilinder or front grill badge
Old Dec 6th, 2015, 20:39   #89
rubberquackie
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob View Post
A recall of the V50 and S40 range MY2004 on has appeared in the USA, though I have not seen it yet in the UK. This affects the handbrake not holding the car - 'poor tensioning'.

If you are unsure about the efficiency of your handbrake then contact your Volvo dealer.

Bob
my 2010 c30 is at 24%.
rubberquackie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6th, 2015, 22:19   #90
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
@Clan I made a complaint about drive shaft at local Volvo shop, but they said my VIN isn't in the list of the faulty one. But they said it is on a list if I would have any issues with clutch master cilinder or front grill badge
They Mean clutch SLAVE cylinder in the gearbox housing .

The Master cylinder one is mandatory , ie it HAS to be done so a recall .