Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

volvo v50 r design buying advice.

Views : 1368

Replies : 15

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 7th, 2016, 23:24   #1
Richjay77

Default volvo v50 r design buying advice.

Hi all,

New here, just bumped my C class and dont think she'll pull through. Had her 8years and being 53plate with 3.8k of damage, i think our journeys have ended😢

So insurance wont pay out much so need a reasonable fix and seen a volvo v50 r design for sale with the 2ltr diesel engine. Its 58 plate with 148k on the clock. Of course its no doubt been a rep car. In merc world 148k isnt too much of a concern, but what should i be looking for? Is the engine strong with plenty left in it?

Car itself looks great, really sleeper, wolve in sheeps clothing. Just not up to scratch on the mechical side of volvo.

Thanks for any advice folks 🖒
Richjay77 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Richjay77 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 8th, 2016, 07:48   #2
domhart10
Volvo S40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richjay77 View Post
Hi all,

New here, just bumped my C class and dont think she'll pull through. Had her 8years and being 53plate with 3.8k of damage, i think our journeys have ended😢

So insurance wont pay out much so need a reasonable fix and seen a volvo v50 r design for sale with the 2ltr diesel engine. Its 58 plate with 148k on the clock. Of course its no doubt been a rep car. In merc world 148k isnt too much of a concern, but what should i be looking for? Is the engine strong with plenty left in it?

Car itself looks great, really sleeper, wolve in sheeps clothing. Just not up to scratch on the mechical side of volvo.

Thanks for any advice folks 🖒
Nice engine, make sure the timing belt is done really. id give it a test drive really and make sure there are no weird noises etc I had a 2ltr diesel before in an S40 and was quite nice when it worked but I did have quite a line of issue with it from air conditioning to gear selector and had a new engine fitted. Shop around and have a look at the petrol engine's as well, I have only been a diesel owner till my current petrol and would never really go back as the mpg even on the T5 isnt that bad, you just have to take it a bit easier, and also the petrol units are smaller so labor costs will be cheaper.

Previous Volvo: 2008 S40 SE Lux R Design 2.0D
domhart10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8th, 2016, 07:53   #3
Montana
Master Member

Recently got myself a v50 2.0 sport R-Design, great looker and the engine really suprised me despite only being 140 ish bhp.

The biggest issue for me when buying is the DPF, you will need to see if there is one fitted as if so it will be due a replacement at 150k (changed every 75k). There is alot of conflicing information on how to tell if there is one fitted;
- the 8th character of the VIN is the first check, if this is a 4 (Euro 4) it may have one fitted
- the left hand side of the battery compartment will contain an additional connector for the DPF
- also check under the rear axle, if a DPF is fitted there will be a small reservoir fitted which feeds the DPF with fluid, if no DPF fitted you will see a small metal plate in its place.

Info here http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=86512

Cambelt is every 10 year or 144k so will be due also!

The engine is a PSA engine shared with Ford/Mazda and seem pretty trouble free, check for evidence of regular servicing though.

The ONLY gripe i have with mine is the lack of OBC readout for MPG etc, which you will be used to with the Merc, this is something that needs to be dealer enabled and costs £££

Also re the Merc, worth rejecting the offer and holding out for a better one?

Previous: 2006 XC90 D5 , 2008 V50 2.0D

Last edited by Montana; Dec 8th, 2016 at 07:55.
Montana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8th, 2016, 08:01   #4
Richjay77

Thanks folks, not had an offer yet but cant see it being great. Not been in this situation before so not sure how to play the offer from LV.
Old Dec 8th, 2016, 09:35   #5
Montana
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richjay77 View Post
Thanks folks, not had an offer yet but cant see it being great. Not been in this situation before so not sure how to play the offer from LV.
You need to search for cars of similar age/condition to gauge what the market value is, you can use this as a bartering tool if they low ball you. Best get an idea of this before LV contact so you can reject on the spot if its a poor offer.

Previous: 2006 XC90 D5 , 2008 V50 2.0D
Montana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8th, 2016, 09:50   #6
Thorn

If you do much night driving, forget it. Check the multiple threads on V50 headlight.
Don't get me wrong. I love my V50 most of the time, but I hate it after dark on unlit roads. Had I known how bad they were, I'd never have bought the car.
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8th, 2016, 10:55   #7
Richjay77

Ive got around 3 average book prices currently.

My w203 c class was pants at night, i upgraded to a hid kit and never had any issues driving at night. No one upgraded headlights?

You would think out of all features being sweedish and their long dark days that the lights would be bang on.

Last edited by Richjay77; Dec 8th, 2016 at 12:03.
Old Dec 8th, 2016, 10:58   #8
domhart10
Volvo S40

My headlights are fine with normal bulbs in, just got them re-angled at the garage and all good now, and passed MOT fine. They just seem to come out of the dealer pointing at the ground, just get them raised and all back to normal

Old Dec 8th, 2016, 11:07   #9
Thorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by domhart10 View Post
My headlights are fine with normal bulbs in, just got them re-angled at the garage and all good now, and passed MOT fine. They just seem to come out of the dealer pointing at the ground, just get them raised and all back to normal
Mine are raised to the MOT max, and have Nightbreakers in. I handwash them every time I'm about to head out beyond the street lamps, and they have washers anyway, so I can clean them while on the move. But they're still dreadful. I collected a pair of Zeiss Drivesave specs yesterday, and am hoping that they'll help. I'll find out this weekend.
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8th, 2016, 11:15   #10
domhart10
Volvo S40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
Mine are raised to the MOT max, and have Nightbreakers in. I handwash them every time I'm about to head out beyond the street lamps, and they have washers anyway, so I can clean them while on the move. But they're still dreadful. I collected a pair of Zeiss Drivesave specs yesterday, and am hoping that they'll help. I'll find out this weekend.
Thats really weird, so its just the light output? tried cleaning connectors etc?

Had this problem with both my S40's and a previous V40. All lights reangled and can see as well as any other car ... on just normal bulbs. Had one dimmed bulb a bit couple months ago, but cleaned the connection and back to normal again.

If they are still dim, try sticking in some xenon's with a low output to match the normal lights. you might find that will help quite a bit.