Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

v50 cost over £1000 so far this year

Views : 1208

Replies : 23

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 2nd, 2017, 09:29   #11
Rowley010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloders2 View Post
apart from the lock, which was 50% of the total bill, they are all "normal" service items. You have not had a failure.
These items (not sure about oil level) would be exactly the same on any car. so unless your going to sell it and buy a brand new car...

Yeah I know. It's just been frustrating it's all happened this year so far, and like you say the lock is 50% of it. I use my local garage but I am considering a dealer service this year so I get the breakdown cover and updates. Will I still get the engine system service for oil level all the time with a dealer service?
Rowley010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2nd, 2017, 14:31   #12
TheFiend
C30 R-Design

Quote:
Originally Posted by T5R92011 View Post
Get rid and buy a late V70 circa 2005/2006 - change the oil regularly, look after it and it'll look after you.

Ford had no influence of the design of the P2 V70, so you don't get so many issues with them.

V70's don't have so many issues? In the 4.5 years I've owned my "Ford" based C30 the only issue I've had was a broken coil spring.. My mates V70 D5 has suffered loads of issues and just this last week has had to replace his front discs, pads and calliper after 1 calliper completely seized. The other side was found to be in almost as bad. Was on his way to work so lost a day as well.
TheFiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2nd, 2017, 16:40   #13
Rowley010

A calliper on my v50 seized 2 years ago as well.
Old Jul 2nd, 2017, 18:07   #14
phil1968
Master Member

The joys of modern car ownership, those costs sound pretty normal to me, especially as a car climbs into the higher mileages items start to near the end of their service life. You could always learn how to do these items yourself? Plenty of info on the 'net along with some brilliant YouTube tutorials
Saved myself over £1000 at the dealers this last year by replacing the A/C condenser & alarm siren module battery myself. Granted, some items are beyond the scope of the average home mechanic (I paid over £500 to have two rear & one front suspension coil springs replaced recently) but it's always worth doing some research & having a go yourself

2008 C70 D5 SE Lux Nav Geartronic
phil1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2nd, 2017, 20:51   #15
blacklab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowley010 View Post
A calliper on my v50 seized 2 years ago as well.
Yep, me too. Happened a day after the garage changed the pads...............
blacklab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2nd, 2017, 21:21   #16
The Thong
VOC Member

I've had my V50 for three years now and I've had my fair share of faults but I'm still happy with it.

Ignition switch

ABS unit

AC condenser

Drivers seat fixed

Clutch (fixed under warranty)

Butterfly housing

Front wheel bearing.

Sounds a lot? Not really, my motors 11yo and the previous wasn't big on maintainence and using spurious garages for repairs. Our car goes all over the country and out of the country and I'll confidently drive it anywhere. I've had newer and new which has been far worse than this motors ever been. You need to weigh up age against issues and except that old cars get problems. I was planning to sell mine this year but I like it that much I'm keeping it on for another two years.

I have a couple of on going faults but unless it fails it's MOT because of it. I'll stick with devil I know.

TT
The Following User Says Thank You to The Thong For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 2nd, 2017, 23:16   #17
Rowley010

Did the abs unit have to be done at a dealer and was that a costly repair?
Old Jul 3rd, 2017, 05:49   #18
The Thong
VOC Member

Yeah, it's coded to the motor. Apparently you can send your own unit away and get them refurbished too. Personally, I'd rather get a new unit fitted for peace of mind.

Fitted, it cost me circa £650.

TT
Old Jul 3rd, 2017, 08:40   #19
Welton
Premier Member

I'm surprised people are complaining about having to replace discs and sticking calipers - these are service items now. The trend for 'open' alloy wheels means our calipers are exposed to all sorts of salt spray/water and coupled with aggressive wheel cleaning agents etc all conspire to degrade the smooth action of the caliper. Of course the quality of "rubber" parts is not what it used to be and this can be attributed to many modern car problems now.

The expensive steering lock issue is unfortunate but not a common one. My take on car ownership and reliability is whether the car ever leaves you stranded, refuses to start, or makes you fearful of whether you'll reach your destination. I've never felt that in the 8 years I've had mine
2018 Infiniti Q30 1.6T Business Executive (what's this button do?)
Welton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Welton For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 3rd, 2017, 11:38   #20
Rowley010

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thong View Post
Yeah, it's coded to the motor. Apparently you can send your own unit away and get them refurbished too. Personally, I'd rather get a new unit fitted for peace of mind.

Fitted, it cost me circa £650.

TT
How did you find out it needed doing? Was it easy to et diagnosed? Every now and then, and talking like once or twice a year I get a message saying anti skid service required, but then when I restart the car it goes. I'm always worried it could be something like that.