Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

v50 cost over £1000 so far this year

Views : 1257

Replies : 23

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 3rd, 2017, 10:41   #21
Rowley010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welton View Post
I'm surprised people are complaining about having to replace discs and sticking calipers - these are service items now. The trend for 'open' alloy wheels means our calipers are exposed to all sorts of salt spray/water and coupled with aggressive wheel cleaning agents etc all conspire to degrade the smooth action of the caliper. Of course the quality of "rubber" parts is not what it used to be and this can be attributed to many modern car problems now.

The expensive steering lock issue is unfortunate but not a common one. My take on car ownership and reliability is whether the car ever leaves you stranded, refuses to start, or makes you fearful of whether you'll reach your destination. I've never felt that in the 8 years I've had mine

No I'm complaining about that, each individual thing doesn't seem an issue. I suppose it's when you get a whole string of things altogether even when they are serviceable parts you do start to question the quality when it happens all at the same time. But I suppose at the end of the day it's just bad luck
Rowley010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3rd, 2017, 11:05   #22
Yobbo
Dave

The steering lock issue is rare one to be fair, as is the reverse light switch - I'd say you'd been unlucky there.
The starter motor could possibly be giving up the ghost by then but that I also found surprising...

It's worth looking at the recall work thread at the top of this sub forum, Volvo will do the work for free (if they already haven't done - its all logged in their database) and should also offer a free 'healthcare check' on the car.
Got mine done last month and it revealed a couple of niggles that I'd have otherwise not known of.

One thing for sure though, I won't be getting a garage to do discs and pads for me. Besides the replacement parts you only need a special tool for the rear caliper piston and you can pick it up as part of a set for £15-20.
Worth learning how to do yourself as the job is easy so you're ultimately paying for garage labour rates.

The engine oil issue - this should not be occurring if there is 5.5L put in.
The issue is caused by DPF regens causing oil to rise in the sump.
Volvo revised the recommended amount some time ago.

I love my V50 D5 and will stick with it, it's understandably a b*stard when all these things pop up.

But as someone earlier mentioned about the V70's they too have their fair share of common issues as do ANY car.
Old Jul 3rd, 2017, 12:40   #23
The Thong
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welton View Post
I'm surprised people are complaining about having to replace discs and sticking calipers - these are service items now. The trend for 'open' alloy wheels means our calipers are exposed to all sorts of salt spray/water and coupled with aggressive wheel cleaning agents etc all conspire to degrade the smooth action of the caliper. Of course the quality of "rubber" parts is not what it used to be and this can be attributed to many modern car problems now.

The expensive steering lock issue is unfortunate but not a common one. My take on car ownership and reliability is whether the car ever leaves you stranded, refuses to start, or makes you fearful of whether you'll reach your destination. I've never felt that in the 8 years I've had mine
Me too, when I'm calculating what a car costs I only count nine service component failures i.e. ABS unit. Disks, pads filters etc are consumables which are part and parcel of vehicle ownership.
Old Jul 3rd, 2017, 13:05   #24
The Thong
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowley010 View Post
How did you find out it needed doing? Was it easy to et diagnosed? Every now and then, and talking like once or twice a year I get a message saying anti skid service required, but then when I restart the car it goes. I'm always worried it could be something like that.
My Anti-skid light came on permanently. Anti-skid warning light can be caused by other issues like an iffy reluctor ring for example, you need to get the codes read on Vida. I sent my motor into Volvo for diagnostics and repair.

TT