Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New lady member.... be nice 😃

Views : 6601

Replies : 74

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 30th, 2018, 22:19   #21
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janinehobin View Post
Wow! Lovely comment left there above 🤭

When I bought the car, I had no idea of the parts removed or changed. I have only in the last few days found the egr and the CAT removed. So please remove yourself from my post. Mong.

To all the other lovely people on here, turns out it's a faulty injector. Tonight it's decided to pi$$ diesel all over my engine and drive WOOHOO! but, hopefully after fixing it, it'll be spot on! I'll keep you updated. Thanks!
Good news it has identified itself then....

You don't need the dealer to replace the injector - they are one of a number of classes and you need a matched set of 4. If you change all of the injectors to a different class - then you need the ECU settings changing, that will be a dealer (or Volvo Indie) job. The class is marked on the plastic top of the injector so you can tell what you need - it's a single digit number on the top left of the plastic housing. If you just change the faulty injector, make sure it is the same class and then no programming needed.

Good luck.

The Mong.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135

Last edited by Tannaton; Dec 30th, 2018 at 22:21.
Tannaton is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tannaton For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 31st, 2018, 11:17   #22
Janinehobin

Thank you. It's just the one, and it's a number 5 on the injector. Looking at it soon, just having a big fat breakfast!
Janinehobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31st, 2018, 15:17   #23
T5R92011
FCW Auto Service

Once you've got it working, trade it in for the 2.0 Petrol model.

That 2.0d (peugeot/ford) engine is not enconomical enough for the hassle of seeing "engine system service required" every few weeks.

Second hand diesel cars ranging from 2005 to 2010 (Euro 4 emission regs) are going to cause you constant problems at this point in their life cycle. They will be gummed up with all kinds of muck and soot etc. It's just not worth owning them, especially given that these cars will FAIL their mot if any of their Particulate filters etc have been removed.

And given that petrol is significantly cheaper than diesel at the moment.... to me it's just not worth owning them.

If you REALLY need a diesel engine in this car, you should go for a D3/D4/D5 engine, which is a Volvo engine and can only be found in Volvo cars.

That 2.0d engine can be found in Peugeots, Citroens, Fords and lets be honest, those manufacturers are not associated with longevity.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to T5R92011 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 31st, 2018, 15:45   #24
The Thong
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T5R92011 View Post

That 2.0d (peugeot/ford) engine is not enconomical enough for the hassle of seeing "engine system service required" every few weeks.

Second hand diesel cars ranging from 2005 to 2010 (Euro 4 emission regs) are going to cause you constant problems at this point in their life cycle. They will be gummed up with all kinds of muck and soot etc. It's just not worth owning them, especially given that these cars will FAIL their mot if any of their Particulate filters etc have been removed.

And given that petrol is significantly cheaper than diesel at the moment.... to me it's just not worth owning them.

If you REALLY need a diesel engine in this car, you should go for a D3/D4/D5 engine, which is a Volvo engine and can only be found in Volvo cars.

That 2.0d engine can be found in Peugeots, Citroens, Fords and lets be honest, those manufacturers are not associated with longevity.
I had good economy out of my 2d but thanks to the EGR it was pretty gummed up inside. I was lucky with mine, I had age related issues but nothing major apart from the AC and an ignition switch going. I could achieve low fifties on a run as long as I kept the speed sensible but the ECO gumph definitely was the failing on those engines.

TT
Old Dec 31st, 2018, 15:52   #25
Janinehobin

Thanks for the advice. If I could afford to buy a new car , trust me I would. If this is a little cost of a new seal, I have to keep it. 2 kids, a small beauty business from home, bills who etc, I just simply don't have the cash. Maybe one day tho eh!
Janinehobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31st, 2018, 16:05   #26
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by T5R92011 View Post

That's not been my experience.... with reasonable maintenance the 2.0D unit is easily capable of 200k plus. I agree they do tend to gum up but it is an easy job to remove the inlet manifold and clean it up (which might need doing once around 100-150k) and they're no more susceptible to this than the earlier D5's.

Although the roots of the engine are primitive (back to the XUD PSA units of the early 90's) it's a nice torquey lump and the characteristics of it suit that car well and 50+ mpg is the norm on a good run. The 7% premium we pay for diesel fuel does not come near to balancing out the economy difference between the 2.0D and 2.0 petrol.

I my experience the bigger problem with the 2.0D in the S40/V50 platform is the crappy Ford alternator and starter motor that invariably give up between 100k and 150k.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135

Last edited by Tannaton; Dec 31st, 2018 at 16:07.
Tannaton is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tannaton For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 31st, 2018, 17:48   #27
The Thong
VOC Member

The PSA lump is a solid unit. I’ve run various motors with PSA Diesel engines in em and they were very reliable. I’ve run em in Ford, Citroen, Peugeot and LDV all of which gave good Mpg which PSA units seem to give. Sadly, that’s about the only thing good I’ve got to say about the French Auromotive industry

TT
The Following User Says Thank You to The Thong For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 31st, 2018, 20:37   #28
Bendolfc
Premier Member

My 2.0d (although euro 3) hit 200k the other day. Still on its original clutch as far as I'm aware unless it was replaced in its first 80k before I bought it 8 years ago.

Never intended to keep it this long but it has been so reliable so far that it's not worth getting rid of when it costs next to nothing to run.
Bendolfc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bendolfc For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 1st, 2019, 10:38   #29
x DTR x
Premier Member

As above, 182k and on original clutch as far as I'm aware. Had from 126k and nothing on engine replaced apart from filters and engine mounts. Gets full service every 6k and runs like a dream!

2005 V50 2.0 SE Sport
1999 S40 1.8 Gdi
1993 460 1.7 LX
x DTR x is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to x DTR x For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 1st, 2019, 12:43   #30
The Thong
VOC Member

I used to service my motors every 6k, it’ll last forever.

TT

Tags
engine 2.0, injector, s40