Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

240 GLT Running Problems

Views : 1344

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 11th, 2005, 09:10   #1
Chris5pfp

I have a 1988 240 GLT Auto estate ( B230E ) with the Bosche fuel injection system. I have had problems with its running and local mechanics seem unable to sort the problem out, can you help.

It starts and runs fine but the revs are low when in gear, about 500ish. If run like this the car hunts in nutural and stalls. If I turn up the idle it does not stall but the revs in park run at 1200 and consumption goes through the roof.

I have changed the plugs recently and they came out white. The MOT had a very very low emmission reading and I get a smell of petrol from the car especially when accelerating hard, which I need to do a lot as I feel the overall performance is not what it should be.

I have changed all the injector seals but the prolem persisits. I have been told it could be due to the engine mixture being set up incorrectly but I dont know how to change this. I can do most things for myself but this issue is causing me grief.

When I remove the dipstick whilst running, white gases escape and also if I remove the crankcase breather hose the same symptoms are there. I have been told this is due to inappropriate mixture causing the gases to not be redrawn back through the normal route and be dispersed by the filters in the engine as in normal circumstances.

The engine has a verified mileage of 82,000 on it and under normal use there is no smoke of any colour from the exhaust nor are there any pops bangs or whistles from the engine. Everything seems to be fine except for this blasted running issue.

Please help me and save my sanity.

Christof

P.S. I live in Daventry and would like to meet other local fellow members.
Old Aug 18th, 2005, 09:28   #2
Mike_Brace
Former contributor

Default RE: 240 GLT Running Problems

There are a few possible problems here - its a bit difficult to diagnose by 'remote control' however if you'd like to phone us on 01407 832290 we'll happily discuss the problem with you.

Mike

Mike_Brace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19th, 2005, 14:28   #3
Chris5pfp

Thanks Mike, the phone conversation was very much appreciated and has given me some good starting points.

Come on everyone else, I keep seeing old Volvo's so there must be some members out there.

Christof
Old Aug 22nd, 2005, 08:24   #4
whippet750

Ahh now this is V interesting as I have a 1987 240 GLT saloon with identical problems. What was the conclusion of your discussion as to the most likely problem?

Thanks.... Simon
Old Aug 22nd, 2005, 09:59   #5
Chris5pfp

Simon, the conversation went along the lines of, try the cold start regulater ( warm up valve ) then, if not sorted the idle control valve then, if still not sorted the air flow meter.

A suggestion was to look at the cylinder head gasket as it may be starting to fail simply due to its age. This is a last resort as I am not loosing oil or water and have no signes of a smokin' rear end ooeer.

My plan is to start at the top and work through.

Please keep me posted on your results.

Christof

PS Where are you geographically?
Old Aug 22nd, 2005, 11:37   #6
chris m

Default RE: 240 GLT Running Problems

Hi there,

unfortunately I can`t offer any expert-advice, but two things come to my mind: are both fuel pumps running properly, is the fuel pressure alright AND are the pipes of the engine breather system clean, is the flame trap blocked? (just get rid of the flametrap anyway!)

And if you just want to try some other "hardware", I have a complete K-Jet-system (minus the auxiluary air valve, which tends to pass away after some years anyway) from an `88 GLT in my shed. Just let me know, if that could be of any help to you.

chris m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22nd, 2005, 23:49   #7
whippet750

Thank you Chrism and Chris5 all suggestions gratefully recieved although I must admit the cylinder head one fills me with that sinking feeling! It does sometimes seem to be running on three after starting when it runs lumpilly so I fear perhaps head gasket may well be the cause? Oh well will investigate further (as and when the 262 restoration permits!!) and let you know my results. Thanks again....
Old Aug 23rd, 2005, 09:05   #8
Chris5pfp

Don't get a sinking feeling about the cylinder head gasket, they are easy to do with a good set of tools, plenty of tea and a bit of time. Last one took me 3 hours excluding a head skim that was done.
Old Sep 1st, 2005, 14:46   #9
whippet750

oh and am in winchester in hampshire....sorry didnt see that bit