Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > V40/XC '12>17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V40 D4 - anything to look out for?

Views : 3699

Replies : 20

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 16th, 2016, 15:52   #1
Dingle232

Default V40 D4 - anything to look out for?

Hi

As a previous D3 owner I have just placed a deposit on a 15 plate D4 Auto SE Lux Nav and am really looking forward to seeing it this weekend. Before I take any decision is there anything in particular to look out for?

Are the issues with the EGR on the d4 now solved?

Is the gearbox still the same as when I had my 13 plate D3 or is the new one an 8 speed box?

Thanks in advance.
Dingle232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2016, 18:06   #2
techwatcher
Master Member

There is a permanent fix for the EGR/cooler issue which is just now becoming available to dealers, who are implementing it on an 'as needed' basis. It could be worth taking if the vehicle has the permanent fix; if not then there will probably be a trip to to dealer at some point.

The gearbox on the MY15 D4 is the rather good 8-speed box.

I have a 15 please D4 Auto SE Lux Nav and love it (even though it's had two replacement EGR valves/coolers) . Hope you enjoy it.
techwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2016, 18:18   #3
Dingle232

Quote:
Originally Posted by techwatcher View Post
There is a permanent fix for the EGR/cooler issue which is just now becoming available to dealers, who are implementing it on an 'as needed' basis. It could be worth taking if the vehicle has the permanent fix; if not then there will probably be a trip to to dealer at some point.

The gearbox on the MY15 D4 is the rather good 8-speed box.

I have a 15 please D4 Auto SE Lux Nav and love it (even though it's had two replacement EGR valves/coolers) . Hope you enjoy it.
Thanks and also for flagging the EGR issue. I am not sure how far this is going to get me as the issue hasn't arisen on this vehicle but I have asked the dealer to implement the fix before I test the car on Friday - they will likely say that it hasn't happened so there's nothing to fix but I am going to push them.

My only complaints with my previous D3 were the fuel consumption which was pretty awful and the rather clunky auto gearbox which, I think, was a 6 speed. I'll be coming out of a BMW 3 series with the excellent ZF Auto box so I am hoping I won't notice too much of a difference.

Is the new 8 speed noticeably better and smoother?

Thanks again for the reply.
Old May 17th, 2016, 08:12   #4
techwatcher
Master Member

In terms of fuel consumption, much depends how the car is driven. Sticking to speed limits and using the torque occasionally I get around a real-world 50 mpg, some 5 mpg less than the D2 which was my previous car.

The D4 is my first automatic so I have nothing with which to compare it but to me it is smooth; pottering around most of the time I find ratio changes are barely perceptible.
techwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2016, 19:13   #5
Brodick
Master Member

D4 engine is a peach - (especially in the V40) not had the EGR fix an have no intention in doing so. Never had any issues.

Can't comment on the 8 speed auto. I have got my first Volvo manual box in a Volvo and despite and recent annoyance it is a joy to use.

I am currently getting around 53mpg ( give or take )
Brodick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2016, 18:54   #6
Dingle232

Well I collected it today and despite the dealer doing a less than impressive job on the prep I brought it home. After coming out of a 3 series the handling was always going to feel inferior but it's still pretty good in its own right.

But you are right about that engine it's sensational for a 4 pot. I can't quite believe how much torque it has - I had the luxury of a 170 mile drive home and didn't spare it.

There are a couple of annoyances in that I cant find the ability to programme in speed dials for the phone and there doesn't appear to be a way to control audio selections streamed via Bluetooth; both of which are pretty stupid oversights.

There's lots I am happy with though.

One thing. The car was due its first service at 12 months which was Feb and it had done 12k miles. I am just never ever convinced that dealers actually carry out oil changes etc so am considering getting it done. It's just too easy to stamp a book and claim its done especially when there's no dipstick to check oil condition.

Am I being paranoid or is it worth an oil and filter change?
Old May 22nd, 2016, 07:41   #7
PaulRS

I often think this regarding garage pre deliver service/inspection!! I just don't think for the time and effort it takes a garage to do the checks and service, it's worth faking a service stamp. If a customer were to take it to independent and get this checked and it turned out not to have been done, this could be quite a serious piece of deception that could cost them a lot more than a standard service would......
PaulRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2016, 08:36   #8
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingle232 View Post
Well I collected it today and despite the dealer doing a less than impressive job on the prep I brought it home. After coming out of a 3 series the handling was always going to feel inferior but it's still pretty good in its own right.

But you are right about that engine it's sensational for a 4 pot. I can't quite believe how much torque it has - I had the luxury of a 170 mile drive home and didn't spare it.

There are a couple of annoyances in that I cant find the ability to programme in speed dials for the phone and there doesn't appear to be a way to control audio selections streamed via Bluetooth; both of which are pretty stupid oversights.

There's lots I am happy with though.

One thing. The car was due its first service at 12 months which was Feb and it had done 12k miles. I am just never ever convinced that dealers actually carry out oil changes etc so am considering getting it done. It's just too easy to stamp a book and claim its done especially when there's no dipstick to check oil condition.

Am I being paranoid or is it worth an oil and filter change?
Of course they changed the oil and filter .

you have to be very careful with the electronic oil level gauge , the engine is sensitive to under and over filling by just half a litre .. AND there is only ONE oil you can use it is castrol edge volvo spec 0w/20 VCC RBSO-2AE Other manufactures will be introducing it but probably only in 208 litre drums for commercial use .
New engine oil specification for new 4-cylinder Drive-E engines (Petrol & Diesel variants) MY16- models
Volvo Car Corporation introduced new engines for all our models going forward (Petrol and Diesel) from MY16-. Some of these new engines are already in some of the current MY15 models These new 4-cylinder Drive-E engines will have the recommended Castrol Edge Professional SAE 0W-20 to specification VCC RBSO-2AE fully synthetic engine oil.
This engine oil is specially developed by Castrol for our new Volvo engines in order to fulfil the requirements for the engine’s service intervals – all engines are filled with specially adapted synthetic engine oil at the factory. The choice of oil has been made very carefully with regards to service life, starting characteristics, fuel consumption and environmental impact.
An approved engine oil must be used in order that Volvo recommended service intervals can be applied. Only use a prescribed grade of oil for both filling and oil change, otherwise you will risk affecting the service life of the engine.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Volvo_EDGE_Prompt_D09.pdf (601.5 KB, 12 views)
Old May 22nd, 2016, 09:05   #9
Dingle232

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
Of course they changed the oil and filter .
How do you know 'of course'? Surely the issue is that there's no way of telling and it's purely a face value guess.

As an aside I'm having issues with the windscreen washers (they don't work) and the media player will not allow me to control tracks streamed over Bluetooth or read the music tracks from my iPhone when plugged in as 'iPod'.

So.....first impressions not entirely favourable....
Old May 22nd, 2016, 10:05   #10
Marc01

Apparently the oil sensor also detects oil quality.

And you right not to trust dealers they can and do lie but I doubt they avoided the oil change, maybe skipped air filters and fuel filters.
We have bought dozens of cars over the last 4 years and now as a matter of course fully service them ourselves. 50% of the time things have been missed rarely oil though. It's almost like they turn round to the service department and say "that ones sold Barry just drop the oil and chuck on a filter sod everything else." No offence to Barry.

It's made me very cynical, and perhaps skews my opinion.

As for the iPod thing, I have no issues although it has a perculiar way of working that isn't particularly intuitive, once you figure it out it makes sense.
Marc01 is offline   Reply With Quote