Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Recommendations for replacing my HU-850/Dolby adaptor questi

Views : 746

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 3rd, 2021, 22:41   #1
chunky2778

Default Recommendations for replacing my HU-850/Dolby adaptor questi

Hi all, recently purchased a V70, I have what appears to be the common HU-850 issues, namely the 6CD player has fallen apart and the lights don't light up.

Having stripped the head unit and seen the state of the multichanger unit, read up on GROMs etc and various other faults that occur with these HU's, and weighed up what's on offer on the FM/AM bands in my area I'm thinking my money is likely better spent on getting an aftermarket unit.

I have some experience with aftermarket stuff but not with Volvo. I'm not particularly concerned about steering wheel controls, I have an android 10 phone and I'd like DAB. What's confusing me is the PLII.

There are adaptors on eBay that are listed as compatible with Volvo Dolby set ups, would these just make the pre-outs from the back of the aftermarket head unit work with the Volvo amp, or is this a solution for keeping the centre speaker?

Am I right in thinking it's the former and I will only then have Front and Rear left and right as the HU-850 does the PLII processing?

I've been considering an Xtrons unit as they sell a USB adaptor that converts the stereo to DAB. They seem to be a name that's endured for a few years now, plus the usual Amazon/eBay minefield is littered with potentially expensive mistakes or potentially decent bargains.

So would anyone have any recommendations please for an android head unit, maybe one cheaper than the Xtrons that they've tried and liked that does the job? I'm not in the car much so I don't need an expensive set up, but that CD changer buzzing away and Heart FM was starting to get to me.

The alternative is an eBay HU-850 anywhere from £100 upwards but these seem to be a troublesome unit?

Last edited by chunky2778; May 3rd, 2021 at 22:43.
chunky2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2021, 09:59   #2
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

personally I didnt see any point in keeping something 20 years old that plays CD's (what are they??) and no bluetooth, doenst have a gps map, no reversing camera, etc etc

I tore mine out and put in a Sony double din touchscreen android auto with all the features but it cost the better part of 6-700 quid with all the fixtures and fittings..

I guess it depends what you call 'expensive' - others have found a decent little bluetooth unit that goes into the CD changer plug at the back and you could just put a little phone holder in and use your phone screen for the map..

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=309342

android auto has it's quirks (don't have it on battery saving or the map freezes up and makes you miss your turning) but the voice operated music player is really handy for one thing

-------------------------
mini project - link
stuart bowes is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stuart bowes For This Useful Post:
Old May 4th, 2021, 11:24   #3
chunky2778

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuart bowes View Post
personally I didnt see any point in keeping something 20 years old that plays CD's (what are they??) and no bluetooth, doenst have a gps map, no reversing camera, etc etc

I tore mine out and put in a Sony double din touchscreen android auto with all the features but it cost the better part of 6-700 quid with all the fixtures and fittings..

I guess it depends what you call 'expensive' - others have found a decent little bluetooth unit that goes into the CD changer plug at the back and you could just put a little phone holder in and use your phone screen for the map..

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=309342

android auto has it's quirks (don't have it on battery saving or the map freezes up and makes you miss your turning) but the voice operated music player is really handy for one thing
Thanks, I'm still on the fence as to whether to get a Bluetooth adaptor or there was a similar item that was an adaptor for usb pens that looks like it might be the same people.

However I'm used to having a double din, I've got my eye on a couple but I'm having trouble finding one within my budget that has front and rear pre-outs, I need these for it to work properly with the Volvo amp don't I?

Most of the units I've looked at have only one set of pre-outs, so using just a front or rear signal into the Volvo amp wouldn't sound great would it?
Old May 4th, 2021, 11:28   #4
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunky2778 View Post
..front and rear pre-outs, I need these for it to work properly with the Volvo amp don't I?
That I couldnt tell you I'm afraid.. mine just had the usual connector block that wires to each of the speakers, I'd be fairly surprised if a factory fitted stereo used RCA plugs to be honest because I've never seen that before, they're usually for aftermarket components? but I may well be wrong, mine is only the standard setup no funky extra amps or anything

having said that the speakers are pretty decent compared with others I've had

my head unit has rear R+L pre outs (not in use), front L+R pre outs (not in use) and one sub pre out (in use)
manual here see page 26

mini project - link

Last edited by stuart bowes; May 4th, 2021 at 11:32.
Old May 4th, 2021, 12:36   #5
chunky2778

Mine has the connector that looks like a CD multichanger loom coming out of the back so I assume I have the amp under the seats?

So if I wanted to fit an aftermarket head unit I would need to use this adaptor to make it work with the Volvo amp.
They'd have to be pre-outs I think as if I went off speaker cables the signal would already be amplified by the head unit.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/384010452924
The Following User Says Thank You to chunky2778 For This Useful Post:
Old May 4th, 2021, 12:41   #6
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

I see that makes sense now then

you might be able to use line out convertors?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Stereo-Conv.../dp/B07S8TGT37

other brands / better quality are probably available.. that's not a recommendation or anything

one good thing is there is bags of space behind that dash, in other cars I usually cut and splice cabling and get rid of literally a foot of wiring loom but on this it really wasn't necessary

mini project - link

Last edited by stuart bowes; May 4th, 2021 at 12:43.
Old May 4th, 2021, 13:08   #7
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

oh yeah also the kit I used came with a thing that made the steering wheel controls work

https://www.dynamicsounds.co.uk/volv...tting-kit.html

mini project - link
Old May 4th, 2021, 13:22   #8
chunky2778

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuart bowes View Post
I see that makes sense now then

you might be able to use line out convertors?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Stereo-Conv.../dp/B07S8TGT37

other brands / better quality are probably available.. that's not a recommendation or anything

one good thing is there is bags of space behind that dash, in other cars I usually cut and splice cabling and get rid of literally a foot of wiring loom but on this it really wasn't necessary
Thanks I'd forgotten about the line out converters, although I'm not sure if that would work as I'd be still trying to amplify and already amplified signal?

Yeah it's a big space to work with behind there isn't it!

Perhaps for now a Bluetooth adaptor as you linked earlier might be easier and just hope I don't get the audio drop out problems for now.
Old May 4th, 2021, 15:00   #9
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

I've never actually used one to be honest but I was assuming the signal would be dropped down to a lower level, so can be amped up again, it's designed for running signals into amps

now how that would affect quality is another question, I dont have any actual 1st hand experience with them myself

mini project - link
Old May 4th, 2021, 19:02   #10
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

this is my favourite picture though

turn your sound from lots of very thin lines into a lesser number of fatter lines.. wtf does that even represent

also, drive with your dog on your lap because everyone does that

mini project - link