Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 140/164 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

140/164 Series General Forum for the Volvo 140 and 164 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Ignition switch pinout

Views : 1048

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 15th, 2008, 15:58   #1
bigric

Default Ignition switch pinout

I'm looking at a '71 164 this afternoon, and the only big issue is that the ignition switch has been removed and there are just wires hanging. The owner has the title, so I'm not worried that it's stolen. My question is, which wires do what, so that I can start it and give it a test drive? Thanks.
bigric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15th, 2008, 19:02   #2
Triple-S
How Old?

Welcome to the Volvo Forums - you join but a few 164 owners on here, so we do tend to try to help each other wherever possible. If the car is otherwise good structurally, it would probably be a good buy if you like large confortable older cars.
As I'm halfway through replacing the steering lock/ignition switch on a 73 144 (almost identical behind the windscreen) I can vouch for the fact that there are lots of wires in there! On those which were connected to that lock, they should have chunky pins (or sockets - forgotten which!) crimped on. They fit into the circular plastic module which locates onto the rear of the cast metal switch.
However, to know which fits onto what, you really MUST get a Haynes manual for the car - guessing won't do!
If I knew how to do it, I'd get my partner to scan it and forward it - sorry: perhaps somebody else can help here - can you, Pidgeon?

Paul
Triple-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15th, 2008, 23:30   #3
bigric

Thanks for the help. I took a look at it and figured out the +12, the accessory, and the starter leads, but the battery didn't have enough power to start it and I forgot to put my jumper cables in the truck. The owner doesn't have any keys to the vehicle, so I can't get into the trunk. It's also missing all the plastic that goes around the column
bigric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16th, 2008, 20:46   #4
Pigeon
Volvo-loving biker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volvo Paul View Post
If I knew how to do it, I'd get my partner to scan it and forward it - sorry: perhaps somebody else can help here - can you, Pidgeon?
The Pigeon with the red hot scanner, that's me I'm pretty sure the necessary information is on the wiring diagram in the owner's handbook, I'll dig it out some time before tomorrow evening and let you all know, no problem.

Be kind to pigeons
Pigeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17th, 2008, 21:35   #5
Pigeon
Volvo-loving biker

...it's too small to scan clearly, but it's also too simple to make it worth the bother. Wiring colours and terminal IDs for when you finally get a switch appear to be:

Red - +12V permanent live (three wires) - 30
Yellow - Ignition (switched live) - 15
Green - Acc (switched live) - 75
Blue/yellow - Starter - 50

Be kind to pigeons
Old Jan 20th, 2008, 10:19   #6
Mike B
VOC Member 4911

Default 164

Hi
Welcome to the 164 mob, true Swedish tanks.
I will have a look when the rain stops , I may have a spare ign switch assy not to sure about the socket for car wiring though, but you can fit push on female sockets and attach them to the switch assy.
Regards
Mike B
Mike B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20th, 2008, 20:09   #7
Audrey Old
VOC Member

I've just had an interesting session in trying to wire up the ignition switch on my injection 144GL. The wiring code in Comrad Pidgeon's recent mail tallies with that in both my 164 Haynes manual and the relevant diagram for the injection 144 in that Haynes book
BUT
I have some different coloured wires AND some switch ident differences. When connecting my wires up I find I don't have a green wire but do have one in blue, and a black one coming out of the loom too!
This car was obtained after the owner died when he had almost finishing its reassembly, but all the wires were disconnected behind the speedo.
I have got lights, hazards, clock etc, but admit didn't check the wipers: I see in Haynes that the black could go to the instrument panel terminal (which isn't yet connected), but what's the blue for?
When I connected the known wires, a relay clicked under the bonnet but the starter didn't engage, so I looked for terminal 75 on the switch - there isn't one!
Thoroughly confused I thrashed around with that blue wire on the other pins, thinking Mr Volvo may have run out of green, but ne'er a twitch (or short!).
One final query: Haynes shows what looks like small links at the two terminals 30: are they internal or should I make external ones up? Incidentally, my switch has two terminals 15 also - close together. Should I make links for these too?

Sorry its a bit confusing but I'm at a loss now - HELP!

Paul
Audrey Old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20th, 2008, 23:36   #8
Pigeon
Volvo-loving biker

Terminals with the same numbers on the switch are linked internally.

Be kind to pigeons