Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Road Noise

Views : 1849

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 25th, 2009, 20:09   #1
eruptron

Default Road Noise

I've noticed some road noise from the front end Have swapped wheels front to back and noise stays at front isn't really side specific and the noise does increase under braking so would appear more likely to be tyre noise rater than bearings.It has some Maxxis rotational jobs on it so think it's these they are pretty new though 7mm.V50 06 2.0d
Anyone any thoughts?
eruptron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26th, 2009, 20:21   #2
iainmd

It could just be that type of tyre. I used to have P7's on mine that had above average road noise and recently swapped them for P-Zero's. The road noise is much reduced now.

Past: 2004 Volvo S40 T5 SE
iainmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27th, 2009, 09:59   #3
Solarin

I'll second this.

Recently replaced the original fronts (Pirelli P7) with Toyo T1-R tyres. One of the first things I noticed was a reduction in road noise - and a lot more grip!
Solarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30th, 2009, 12:17   #4
iainmd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solarin View Post
Recently replaced the original fronts (Pirelli P7) with Toyo T1-R tyres. One of the first things I noticed was a reduction in road noise - and a lot more grip!
Keep and eye on the tyre wear with the T1-R's. I had a set of those on the front and they only lasted 6,000 miles because the tread wear was uneven. I kept them inflated to the manufacturers spec but even so they wore very heavily on the shoulders and not in the centre so despite 4-5mm of tread in the centre the outsides were near bald!

I obviously had the alignment checked and it was fine so I can only assume they needed a higher inflation pressure than the pirelli's.

Past: 2004 Volvo S40 T5 SE
iainmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30th, 2009, 13:17   #5
glypto

It seems S40/V50/C30 is very sensitive to road surface and tyres (much more than my former cars) - thus the road noise. Does anybody know why is this ? Is it the shock-absorber, bearing ...?
glypto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30th, 2009, 13:27   #6
oliverlim

Quote:
Originally Posted by glypto View Post
It seems S40/V50/C30 is very sensitive to road surface and tyres (much more than my former cars) - thus the road noise. Does anybody know why is this ? Is it the shock-absorber, bearing ...?
I totally agree! The P7 that I have in my 2 months old C30 is loud esp on B roads. Anything other then smooth roads and the tyre/road roar is really dissappointing for a "luxury" car. Even my old Honda Fit did much better for road roar.

Anyone knows if sound proofing the wheel arch and fenders help?
oliverlim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23rd, 2009, 22:06   #7
Mick1539

Default Road Noise and Tyre ware

Hi, I have the same on my V50 Sport 20D with 225/40/18's just replaced the front 2 and put Avons on and noticed increased road noise and the inner edge was down to the metal, did not even know. Only cos I had a pre 1st MOT check. so new tyres and tracking.

The car went to the dealers for MOT and passed no prob with an advisory that the inner of the rears were worn put saying they had 4mm and 5mm on the back and 7mm on the front. Tonight had a puncture in one of the rears and the wall has gone on the inner edge and the other is not much better. I though tread depth measurements were supposed to be across the whole wheel? if so 4 and 5 mm went really quickly. (
Mick1539 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23rd, 2009, 22:53   #8
Guru
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick1539 View Post
Tonight had a puncture in one of the rears and the wall has gone on the inner edge and the other is not much better. I though tread depth measurements were supposed to be across the whole wheel? if so 4 and 5 mm went really quickly. (

Seems like you have improper alignment and too much negative camber / \ , max should not be more than -2.5*, you should have that checked.
Guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24th, 2009, 07:47   #9
Mick1539

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guru View Post
Seems like you have improper alignment and too much negative camber / \ , max should not be more than -2.5*, you should have that checked.
Thanks. When i got the car a year ago there was a strange low vibration in the back of the car when going round sweeping bends on the motorway which made the kids feel sick. the Dealer realigned the rears and it seemed to go away. But I supposed they could always be knocked out again
Old May 6th, 2009, 13:51   #10
Mick1539

All Fixed, Dealer performed 4 wheel alignment and replaced some rear bars for adjustable ones (volvo recomended part change) and it drives 100% better. even better all under warranty :-) lets just see how long the tyres last now