Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

v60 dab radio

Views : 5168

Replies : 19

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 23rd, 2012, 18:08   #11
osterly1

ok I didn't order it I guess, should of checked the specs out a bit more I guess, nevermind sure I can live without it for a while, and if they ever turn off fm then start panicking, shame , I thought it may of been staright forward fit but it looks not to be the case

regards
osterly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23rd, 2012, 19:46   #12
XCeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by osterly1 View Post
ok I didn't order it I guess, should of checked the specs out a bit more I guess, nevermind sure I can live without it for a while, and if they ever turn off fm then start panicking, shame , I thought it may of been staright forward fit but it looks not to be the case

regards
...i wouldn't lose any sleep over it. my car defaults to FM every time I turn off the engine and I have got fed up with switching back to DAB every time I start out - mainly because I can't tell the difference!
...fm ain't going anywhere soon...!
Old Nov 26th, 2012, 12:49   #13
Harvey1512
Premier Member

Xceed - I have DAB in my V60 at it stays on DAB if that was the last channel I was on. Maybe the system is newer.

I love the DAB, sooooooo much better than MW, probably equivalent to FM. I was worried about coverage but those worries have been mainly unfounded
Old Nov 27th, 2012, 18:22   #14
Daleman
Master Member

Default Not brill

If DAB was not better than medium wave there would be something seriously wrong as medium wave was never brill. DAB is very area sensitive and here in Yorkshire you don’t get it in the Dales consistently well .
Daleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28th, 2012, 09:54   #15
Harvey1512
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daleman View Post
If DAB was not better than medium wave there would be something seriously wrong as medium wave was never brill. DAB is very area sensitive and here in Yorkshire you don’t get it in the Dales consistently well .
You are absolutely right. I mentioned MW as FM is already very good meaning any difference is minimal. The difference between MW and DAB is huge though and worth it if you like to listen to MW channels. I like my sport so listen to R5, Talksport and the cricket commentaries meaning that DAB is wonderful for me.

In terms of coverage, yes there are blackspots but then for me they are the same as with MW. I find the coverage far better than with MW and slightly better than FM. I went from Northumberland to Watford recently and held DAB R5 all of the way without it missing a beat, impossible with MW. I also went through the Lake District, hell for radio signals, and whilst I lost R5 for a spell, shorter than it normally loses on MW, it held DAB R2 even in the bad areas where it normally even loses FM for 20 minutes or so.

The Yorkshire Dales, Scottish Highlands, Welsh hills, Lake District, Northumberland moors etc will all cause radio problems whatever the method used to transfer the signal but in my experience so far DAB works better in most, not all, areas. Please note, I am not one for switching off the other signals as I am well aware DAB has blank spots where FM still goes or a crackly MW just makes it but for 95% + of the country it is a great move forward.
Old Dec 15th, 2012, 19:16   #16
ThomasXC60

Very easy to get too used to DAB, got into the Mrs' posh new car the other day where DAB was not an option and the radio was terrible, really put me off the car - and no Five Live!!!
ThomasXC60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17th, 2012, 10:33   #17
Harvey1512
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasXC60 View Post
Very easy to get too used to DAB, got into the Mrs' posh new car the other day where DAB was not an option and the radio was terrible, really put me off the car - and no Five Live!!!
Too right. If I'd been in my wife's car I would not have been able to listen to England beating India in the cricket when on my way into work, rare and worth enjoying. MW603 is awful up here and LW no longer exists on most car radios. 5LXtra is the only way to hear it. Bad by the BBC as it restricts listening but with DAB I get to hear it all perfectly.
Old Dec 17th, 2012, 11:35   #18
tem
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvey1512 View Post
Too right. If I'd been in my wife's car I would not have been able to listen to England beating India in the cricket when on my way into work, rare and worth enjoying. MW603 is awful up here and LW no longer exists on most car radios. 5LXtra is the only way to hear it. Bad by the BBC as it restricts listening but with DAB I get to hear it all perfectly.
I have LW in the V60 and sometimes listen to it when in mainland Europe.

tem.
Old Dec 17th, 2012, 12:07   #19
Harvey1512
Premier Member

I don't think it is on mine. I will check but to be honest DAB is so clear it makes no sense to listen to LW or MW when you have the digital alternative. FM is more borderline.
Old Dec 17th, 2012, 12:11   #20
tem
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvey1512 View Post
I don't think it is on mine. I will check but to be honest DAB is so clear it makes no sense to listen to LW or MW when you have the digital alternative. FM is more borderline.
I do not have DAB.
I must have the cheaper audio system.

tem.