Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 140/164 Series General > 140/164 Series Sales
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

expensive!

Views : 1588

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 19th, 2010, 22:04   #1
john h
VOC Member

Default expensive!

Looks nice, but 6,750 Euros???

http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C107138/

John

john h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2010, 22:57   #2
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

Looks very nice from the limited photo's but the car is actualy a 73 going off the grill bumper and doors.

Is this the start of 164's selling for stronger money? If so I would say it has to be good news for anyone selling and also good for keeping more cars on the road.
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2010, 09:12   #3
Mike B
VOC Member 4911

Talking 164s

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicswede View Post
Looks very nice from the limited photo's but the car is actualy a 73 going off the grill bumper and doors.

Is this the start of 164's selling for stronger money? If so I would say it has to be good news for anyone selling and also good for keeping more cars on the road.
Dai
Better watch my tank next week or it might be kidnaped to get , it back ?? LOL.
Regards
Mike B
Mike B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2010, 10:54   #4
NewVolvo
VOC Member

Lets not forget that used/old cars in Europe have always been more expensive than in the UK. They all seem to keep their value better.
1987 780 Bertone
Lots of previous Volvo's
NewVolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2010, 23:03   #5
capt jack
VOC Member

Default French Blue

That blue 164 has been advertised on C and C for at least the past 2 years. Every now and again the vendors just renew the ad and it appears at the top of the page for a day or two. (How sad am I for having noticed that?).

Thing is, if you were trying to sell a car for £6k that's probably worth no more than a third of that wouldn't you at least take some decent pictures and put up a full description - especially if you were advertising in three different languages!

'C'est la vie!' - as they say abroad!

Cheers

Jack
capt jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2010, 23:28   #6
john h
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt jack View Post
That blue 164 has been advertised on C and C for at least the past 2 years. Every now and again the vendors just renew the ad and it appears at the top of the page for a day or two. (How sad am I for having noticed that?).

Thing is, if you were trying to sell a car for £6k that's probably worth no more than a third of that wouldn't you at least take some decent pictures and put up a full description - especially if you were advertising in three different languages!

'C'est la vie!' - as they say abroad!

Cheers

Jack
I agree. Having said that, if it truly is "perfect condition" (is my translation correct?) it could be worth £3-4000.

But I doubt that it is, and £2000 does seem nearer the mark.

John

Old Jul 4th, 2010, 00:00   #7
Geomowat

Default Value of 164

I am considering selling my 1972 164 automatic that has been my daily transport for the last decade or so and was wondering about what might be a realistic asking price. Like any car of this age, it has its good and not-so-good features.

It has been suggested to me by one VOC member who is interested that the absolutely top price for a 164 is £1,750 (and one of the Classic car mags. suggests this), but a few I have seen for sale seem to go for about £1,000 more than this (and ones that do not seem to sell have asking prices very much higher than even this).

Naturally, it is difficult to offer any firm advice without viewing any particular vehicle, but what do others think might be a reasonable price for a solid car with no obvious shortcomings?

George
Geomowat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4th, 2010, 08:42   #8
john h
VOC Member

Hi George, and welcome to the forum!

It's impossible to be accurate about values without seeing photos and a detailed description.

But as a general guide from my personal perspective (i.e. what I would be prepared to pay if I was buying), I tend to look at the best possible standard and work down from that.

For me, a PERFECT condition 164 - one which looks and drives exactly like a nearly-new car - would be worth between 4,000 and 5,000 depending on specification and desirability. (A small-bumper 164E manual overdrive in a nice metallic colour being the optimum I think. The opposite would be a carb auto in a dull colour).

Below that level it's hard to say, but values drop away very quickly because of the high cost of getting a car to A1 standard. For example if a 164 has a small amount of rust here and there, a decent repair and quality respray costs well into the thousands, so such a car if it was otherwise good (zero mechanical problems, excellent leather, carpets, etc) it might be worth around £1000 -1500.

Add in any mechanical issues, or a worn interior, or more significant/widespread rust, then it pushes it down to being worth a few hundred.

I hope this helps. If you want to post some photos, I'd be happy to offer some specific views on your car.

Another factor: you live in beautiful place, but it is inconvenient and costly to get to for the vast majority of UK car buyers, so that will unfortunately push down your car's value.

By the way, there's no conflict of interests because I'm not in the market to buy a nice condition 164.

John

Last edited by john h; Jul 4th, 2010 at 08:50.
Old Jul 4th, 2010, 15:44   #9
Geomowat

Quote:
Originally Posted by john h View Post
Hi George, and welcome to the forum!

It's impossible to be accurate about values without seeing photos and a detailed description.
Of course, and I should not wish to bore all the other members with these, but could possibly send a few to you direct?

Quote:
For me, a PERFECT condition 164 - one which looks and drives exactly like a nearly-new car - would be worth between 4,000 and 5,000 depending on specification and desirability. [. . .]For example if a 164 has a small amount of rust here and there, a decent repair and quality respray costs well into the thousands, so such a car if it was otherwise good (zero mechanical problems, excellent leather, carpets, etc) it might be worth around £1000 -1500.
The car is 90,000 miles (effectively I am the second owner), auto and carburettor, was resprayed with new front (Volvo) wings about a dozen years ago, a couple of bits of superficial rust, faded front but otherwise intact seats, new brake calipers, lead-free ipd head with valves, and as far as I know everything mechanical in working order.
Quote:
I hope this helps. If you want to post some photos, I'd be happy to offer some specific views on your car.
Thanks, it does help.
Quote:
Another factor: you live in beautiful place, but it is inconvenient and costly to get to for the vast majority of UK car buyers, so that will unfortunately push down your car's value.
Yes, as you suggest, Orkney is horrendously expensive to get to, but I should have said that this is the car that I keep in West London to use 'doon sooth' on my frequent trips there.

Thanks again,

George
Geomowat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4th, 2010, 16:25   #10
john h
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geomowat View Post
but could possibly send a few to you direct?
George, yes that's fine. I have sent you a private message with my email address.

John