Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

3 Bosch Horns - but no definitive source of information

Views : 1168

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 12th, 2021, 23:40   #1
jgcoutts

Default 3 Bosch Horns - but no definitive source of information

Pardon me if this has been discussed but a search turned up nothing.

Having launched into a full strip down restoration on a car I've owned and driven since my 1980s "refurbishment" I have come to the horn situation. As the song goes two out of three a'int bad. All are rusty, two have innards that are somewhat acceptable, one has mud and rust inside the housing!

I've decided to try and find new ones and think I have a solution however there are very few people interested in the Volvo 1800 horns posting anywhere on the internet. I've been trying to decipher Bosch's numbering for the three horns and also determine the frequency of each in order to attempt to replace two maybe all three with newer compatible models on my '64.

To start one of the smaller "City" horns is totally rusted internally, the other is ok inside but the exterior is also a mess, the "Highway" horn is the best of the three.
The two "City" HO/FDG horns on my car have clearly different frequencies, but numbering on the front grill pieces are identical other then "290" at the bottom centre of one and "362" on the other, does anyone know if these are the frequencies in Hz?
The "Highway" HO/FSA 12/27 horn with the attached centre ID bears no frequency information at all.

My plan is to adapt the front grills to the current Bosch 0 320 223 021 and 0 320 223 022 horn models(page 5 of the attached catalogue) which are 300Hz and 375Hz respectively. As with the original horns these new models are 125mm diameter, and other then now being riveted together I hope will be a simple task to convert.

Similarly I have found on eBay a pair of unused 156mm diameter Bosch 0 320 213 010 and 0 320 213 011 390Hz and 520Hz which have the same front grill(drawing attached) as the old horn but if possible I plan to replace with the original grill.

I have found and interesting manufacture of reproduction Bosch patented horns, I'm guess with Bosch's permission, and made in Tbilisi with a Facebook presence in the US.

I've searched and searched and cannot find any definitive source of information on any of the Bosch products, only bits and pieces on BMW, Mercedes and Alfa sites if anyone knows of such a listing or catalogue please let me know how to obtain a copy.

On the wider world of Bosch horns it is strange that this seems an area where no one has chosen to write the "Encyclopedia According to Bosch" and maybe in my retirement I might do just that, if only I could crack the Volvo question.

Last edited by jgcoutts; Jan 13th, 2021 at 00:08. Reason: incomplete
jgcoutts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13th, 2021, 01:51   #2
Ron Kwas
Premier Member

JG;

Welcome to this forum!

You should always mention vehicle and pertinent particulars when asking for help, but I believe I can deduce from the "three horns", that you are asking about an 1800, because that is the only model I am aware of which had three horns.

I have drilled out rivets and cleaned up the internals to return them to operation before. Tip: Wear Hearing protection when testing!

I'm not certain about the frequency idea, but it seems plausible.

I am referencing this Wiring Diagram: https://www.sw-em.com/1800_Wiring_Di..._No_10000+.jpg

Good Hunting!
Ron Kwas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13th, 2021, 04:33   #3
jgcoutts

Yes a '64 1800S, Ch 11155
and meant to add these images, all three original horns all have slot head screws retaining the face grills, the new version I intend to use for the "City" horns are riveted. thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bosch FDG Horn.jpg (21.3 KB, 22 views)
File Type: png 0 320 223.png (261.8 KB, 20 views)
File Type: png Bosch FSA:AHO Horn.png (180.7 KB, 17 views)
Old Jan 15th, 2021, 11:05   #4
Groundes-Peace
Master Member

Can someone explain why the P1800 had 3 horns?
Was it intended that there should be a way of using a "quieter" for close in town use, and then a pair when at speed as a strong warning of danger?
Were these wired to be used as such?
Groundes-Peace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15th, 2021, 13:53   #5
Derek UK
VOC Member

Basically yes but I'll leave the 1800 experts to explain the set up and the years that had this arrangement.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16th, 2021, 02:00   #6
jgcoutts

The central steering wheel hub activated the pair of 125mm HO/FDG 12 10/9 / 11/9 horns for “City” use, while the stalk on the steering column activated the 156mm HO/FSA 12/27 with its higher frequency and louder volume for passing on the highway.

But it’s a good attention grabber when someone steps in front of you or a driver throws his door open on a narrow street.

Last edited by jgcoutts; Jan 16th, 2021 at 02:07.
Old Jan 21st, 2021, 03:17   #7
jgcoutts

Default The two new City Horns for my P1800

I came up with this solution to replace the rusted horns for my 1800S. Had to do a bit of machining to allow for clearance between the grill and the vibrating surface and on the horn to mounting bracket nuts. Will probably powder coat the grill rather then painted as it is and also will replace the Phillips heads with slot head Fillister machine screws. Don't think I will paint the silver vibrating surface(does it have a real name?) but it and the nuts around the back of the rim are the giveaway.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg City Horns.jpg (306.9 KB, 24 views)
Old Feb 12th, 2021, 03:52   #8
jgcoutts

Here are the three new horns with original grills and brackets attached and ready to be installed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5231 copy.jpg (268.9 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5232 copy.jpg (286.8 KB, 16 views)
Old Feb 12th, 2021, 12:30   #9
Derek UK
VOC Member

Very nice job. If the rest of your "refurbishment" is to the same standard it'll be a cracker.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12th, 2021, 15:12   #10
Ron Kwas
Premier Member

JG;

Ditto to Derek's comments!
Ron Kwas is offline   Reply With Quote