Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC70 spitting codes

Views : 753

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 16th, 2021, 07:56   #1
Jack1423

Question XC70 spitting codes

Hi so I’m here today because I’m just lost and kinda new to the diy mechanic thing. I had a XC70 2008 sitting for a few months and the battery was completely drained. I replaced it and added fresh gas but I get a ton of codes and one from the throttle body. My dash shows a message saying reduced engine performance and max speed 15 miles an hour and does not pass 2000rpm. Car was running perfectly fine before it was abandoned.
Jack1423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18th, 2021, 11:10   #2
Oak

I would suggest that the first thing to do would be to get hold of VIDA/DICE and scan the car. There could be a LOT of errors associated with the battery loosing all its charge and it's important not to be chasing dead/non-existent issues. Scan the car - make a copy of all it finds. Save this and then clear everything. Then go on from there.
The Following User Says Thank You to Oak For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 18th, 2021, 15:48   #3
Jack1423

Thumbs up

Thank you I will check it out!
Old Jan 24th, 2021, 10:21   #4
Moussey

Hello, I've been looking at getting Vida for several years, I used to borrow one and they are very good. As I understand it needed, still needs? to run on a laptop running windows 7, which I don't have.

I post this since I recently downloaded the Car Scanner iPhone app (free) and bought a (£20) blue tooth sender that plugs into the old port. It works well, showed I had a stuck thermostat, ....and cleared all the error codes.

I'm sure its not as good as Vida and that Vida does more stuff, but for a quick cheap easy look-see and code clear it seems good. There are some good YouTube videos of what it can do.
Moussey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24th, 2021, 10:56   #5
Tatsfield
Premier Member

Any Windows laptop can run apps needing an earlier Windows OS than the one installed. You merely need to download the free Oracle VirtualBox program which will create the operating system of your choice in its own segregated area on the hard drive. It's a doddle to install and once running any app that needs the "guest" OS can be installed. I currently run an irreplaceable Win XP label printing program on my Win 10 machine. You can run a whole range of different OS on the same machine. Don't let fear of not having the right OS stop you from installing VIDA which is not only a great diagnostics program but in this age of computerised cars, it is a necessity to diagnose what is going on in the hidden electronics of your Volvo.

Last edited by Tatsfield; Jan 24th, 2021 at 10:58.
Tatsfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24th, 2021, 14:56   #6
Moussey

Thanks. Thats useful. I think I'd read that Vida was fussy about what it ran under,
could I ask if you run it under the Oracle box? Thanks.
Moussey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24th, 2021, 15:15   #7
Tatsfield
Premier Member

As it happens I bought a Win 7 laptop for VIDA but I am so committed to my ancient label design and printing program that I use Oracle VirtualBox on my Win 10 desktop. But I used to run it on the Win 7 laptop, which runs VIDA, for the label printing. I have read on this forum that some people have run VIDA under later Windows OS but like you I went with the Win 7 restriction.
Old Jan 24th, 2021, 17:07   #8
Jack1423

Angry Still no luck

So i read the codes and the throttle body wasn’t responsive so I bought a throttle body from the dealership which was very pricy but I thought it would be worth it. I went ahead and switched it out and started the car with the new throttle body but still same problem. Terrible idle and reduced engine performance. I checked the throttle body while Erving the engine and it looked like the it wasn’t even responding so I’ve come to a conclusion that there’s a deeper problem than the throttle body being broken. Does anybody know where I should start. I’ve come to a dead end. Also like I’ve said in my first post I’ve changed the battery because this car was sitting for 4 months. Can this be electrical ? Or can it be the fuel pump ? There’s only one code that spits and it’s just the throttle body.

Last edited by Jack1423; Jan 24th, 2021 at 17:09.
Old Jan 26th, 2021, 13:33   #9
Oak

Well done for sorting the scan out. Always worth scanning and then asking for thoughts/views though. It could be that someone else has had a similar issue with the same scan code before spending all the money. On a diesel it's common for the body to bung up and a good clean with carb cleaner will resolve the issue, a full replacement is rarely needed for the diesel at least.

I'm guessing that if your location is correct, yours is unlikely to be a diesel though and a petrol engine?

Are all the cables and looms supplying the TB ok? Have you cleared all faults once scanned - and then see what comes back? The flat battery will have generated "false" codes and it's best to wipe off all (record them first) and the rescan to ensure you get a current state of vehicle and not something old that's now resolved.
Old Jan 26th, 2021, 15:08   #10
Jack1423

Question

Hi oak, so I reset the codes after scanning and that didn’t fix the problem. I also cleaned the throttle body. Nothing changed sadly. This car runs off of petrol. I was thinking should I test the fuses? But can it be the fuel pump? Someone told me it can be the fuel pump that caused the the throttle body to not be responsive. I’m not really sure where it could be but I think the next thing to do is check the electrical do you have any advice when it comes to that?

Tags
2008, reduced performance, volvo, wagon, xc70 850 v70 s80 awd