Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Any Advice, Part 2!

Views : 46758

Replies : 671

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 19th, 2021, 11:29   #441
Chris152

Apologies for the delay - had a jab in my arm, spent a few days being incredibly lazy and failed to get back to it til this morning. We're booked in for the MoT at the end of next week, so I've decided to just go ahead and order the stop Brookhouse sell (£50!) but it should be easy - the old plate came off fine this morning, bolts good. The new one's a different shape, apparently they can't get the round/ kong-shape ones any more, but it's correct for the 240.

Quick question on the steering if I may - I started the car yesterday just to get everything warm, we can't drive on the road as the MoT ran out. After 20 mins of idling and a little revving occasionally, I turned the wheel and the PAS worked well in both directions. I'd understood that when it's warm, a faltering steering rack (like ours) works better than cold, but I'd thought that meant the parts in the rack generating some warmth through repeated turns. Clearly, that's not the case here as PAS worked immediately, so is it the warmth of the engine that affects PAS function when it's ailing? If so, why - its not connected to the engine except via the PAS pump, is it? Just puzzled.

edit - is it that the pump warms up the ATF?

Last edited by Chris152; Mar 19th, 2021 at 11:45.
Chris152 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Chris152 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 19th, 2021, 12:47   #442
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

That fatigue following the jab shows it's worked Chris - it's your body using your available energy to build antibodies.

From what i found when i was trying to find the bump stops for you online, the "Kong" shaped ones are for the estate and the "boxy" shaped ones are for the saloon. However, as long as both bump stops do their job and are similar in size, i see now reason why they should fail the MoT.

If your PAS is working, not leaking and doing what it's meant to, i'd call it good and then do another fluid change after the MoT.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 20th, 2021, 06:53   #443
Chris152

Thanks Dave. I'm not sure the PAS is working right, still heavy from cold but may well be getting better as a result of the fluid change - we'll definitely have another go at it after the MoT, when we can put some more miles on. Happily, the stay-at-home rule's been lifted here and it seems travel further afield will soon be an option, so he can get driving again, tho it does look like driving tests are a long way down the road.

ps As we were fiddling with the car yesterday, a neighbour stopped by to offer us a couple of Volvo floor mats and a key pouch left over from a 240 he owned many years ago, pic attached. We have mats and I'm not sure what the pouch might be useful for, but it was so kind - these Volvos seem to have quite a place in many people's memories.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg _MG_0080.jpg (163.3 KB, 15 views)

Last edited by Chris152; Mar 20th, 2021 at 08:55.
The Following User Says Thank You to Chris152 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 20th, 2021, 09:34   #444
loki_the_glt
Torquemeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris152 View Post
ps As we were fiddling with the car yesterday, a neighbour stopped by to offer us a couple of Volvo floor mats and a key pouch left over from a 240 he owned many years ago, pic attached. We have mats and I'm not sure what the pouch might be useful for, but it was so kind - these Volvos seem to have quite a place in many people's memories.
Keep your spare change in the pouch but put the fob in a safe place - it might well be a collector's item!

loki_the_glt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to loki_the_glt For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 20th, 2021, 10:03   #445
Bugjam1999
Master Member

They’re certainly a car that holds a lot of nostalgia for a lot of people- I’ve lost count of the number of people that have said ‘my dad/grandad used to have one of those- we went on family holidays camping/towing the caravan in it’

I think some of that nostalgia leads to random acts of generosity like you’ve just experienced as the same people are happy to see the random parts they have used again.

I got given a full length volvo roof rack by a guy that approached me in a petrol
station, just had to go and get it. Someone I know got given a set of virgos that were sitting in a shed ‘from a car I had years back’.

Cheers
Bugjam1999 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bugjam1999 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 20th, 2021, 12:09   #446
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Thanks Dave. I'm not sure the PAS is working right, still heavy from cold but may well be getting better as a result of the fluid change - we'll definitely have another go at it after the MoT, when we can put some more miles on. Happily, the stay-at-home rule's been lifted here and it seems travel further afield will soon be an option, so he can get driving again, tho it does look like driving tests are a long way down the road.

Apparently due to the backlog, the DVLA are introducing correspondence course driving tests.

Obviously joking there but wouldn't put it past them!

I'm sure they'll find a way to deal with the backlog so hopefully it won't be too long down the line before your lad can take his test, meanwhile use the time in between for extra practice!

If the engine is warm at the time of the MoT then there won't be a problem - remember you'll have to book it in with the reg number to make it legal to drive to the test station and back (although back should hopefully have a fresh MoT certificate!) so try and book a definite time and take a "scenic route" to the station to get some petrol on the way

That way everything should be nice and hot by the time you get there and working as it should, also gives you a chance to blow the cobwebs out of the cat (if fitted) and get everything running nicely, ready for the test.

Nice key fob and mats - they look like the snow trays, solid plastic designed to catch the mud and snow and keep your capets clean.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 21st, 2021, 09:52   #447
Chris152

I'll be sure to let it warm up well on the drive before setting off, and it's a 6 mile drive to the MoT during which it should get plenty of chances to blow away any cobwebs from sitting on the drive. Fingers crossed, he could be driving again next weekend!

Bump stop fitted, looks good in that corner now.

Floor mats - he lifted the driver's side one out to discover the carpet was quite damp! Passenger side fine. More investigations to follow... :-)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chris152 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 21st, 2021, 16:17   #448
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
I'll be sure to let it warm up well on the drive before setting off, and it's a 6 mile drive to the MoT during which it should get plenty of chances to blow away any cobwebs from sitting on the drive. Fingers crossed, he could be driving again next weekend!

Bump stop fitted, looks good in that corner now.

Floor mats - he lifted the driver's side one out to discover the carpet was quite damp! Passenger side fine. More investigations to follow... :-)
Hi Chris,
As Dave alluded to above, I'd make that 6 mile journey a 20 mile one by getting a little lost and then having to use the dual carriageway (leave the car in 3rd gear for a while to give it a bit of an Italian tune up).
Good fortune for the MoT test.
Alan
Old Mar 21st, 2021, 16:38   #449
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
Hi Chris,
As Dave alluded to above, I'd make that 6 mile journey a 20 mile one by getting a little lost and then having to use the dual carriageway (leave the car in 3rd gear for a while to give it a bit of an Italian tune up).
Good fortune for the MoT test.
Alan
Yes

An Italian tune up helps these engines pre-MOT.
A dual carriageway and/or some good hills(s).

So far I have not heard of anyone being nicked for an accdental long route to an MOT. Or for not booking at the nearest test place.
If it became an issue the forum discussion could incriminate ... oops ....

Good fortune indeed for the MOT.

Stephen Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stephen Edwin For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 22nd, 2021, 16:42   #450
Chris152

I'll set of early!

I spent much of the day drying out the carpet and sound proofing, nice day for it here. I read Jungle Jim's thread here:
https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showt...highlight=leak
and it clearly could be a number of things that are letting water in, there was definitely no shortage of it in the foot well. One likely candidate is the windscreen fixing - there's a couple of gaps (see one in the first pic). I need to get the boy to play a hose on it while I'm inside so I can see, but that'll be my first point to check I guess?
And while we're about it, the windscreen has fogging about 1.5" in in some places (second pic), presumably delaminating a bit and allowing moisture in?
If so - can you get new windscreens for these?! I've searched but not found. If the leak is the seal, we may get a new screen fitted and kill two birds with the one stone.

Any thoughts much appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg _MG_0083.jpg (231.3 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg _MG_0084.jpg (235.3 KB, 9 views)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chris152 For This Useful Post: