Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Clutch problem?

Views : 650

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 8th, 2013, 21:58   #1
janusz

Default Clutch problem?

Just noticed yesterday that clutch seems to bite at the very very end. Is that something I should be worried about? Clutch used to bite quite high but now it seems it took the extreme approach... And as you can imagine using the cluch now is not easy anymore. I know that S40 uses hydraulic clutch. Can it be adjusted?
Thanks
Old May 8th, 2013, 22:10   #2
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by janusz View Post
Just noticed yesterday that clutch seems to bite at the very very end. Is that something I should be worried about? Clutch used to bite quite high but now it seems it took the extreme approach... And as you can imagine using the cluch now is not easy anymore. I know that S40 uses hydraulic clutch. Can it be adjusted?
Thanks
That is usualy a sign the clutch is near the end of it's life ... no adjustment , the clutch unit is self adjusting
Old May 9th, 2013, 06:55   #3
t5_monkey
Monkeying Around

Quote:
Originally Posted by janusz View Post
Thanks
It'll be coming to the end of its life.

How long it will last will depend on how you drive it. Don't labour it in high gears and it may carry on for many thousands more miles.

You'll start to get slip eventually the revs will pop up when you floor it.... the you'll need a new clutch within a few thousand miles (unless you really nurse it).

Release the Monkey inside of you >>> Trunk Monkey
t5_monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2013, 19:42   #4
kebab10
Premier Member

Just had my clutch and flywheel done. Had been slipping for many months and eventually was getting worse. Had lasted 131,000 so not too bad I guess. Cost just over £800 with the parts and labour. Oh well.

Car does seem a lot quieter now and the rattle I had on reversing has gone.
kebab10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2013, 23:04   #5
janusz

Quote:
Originally Posted by kebab10 View Post
Just had my clutch and flywheel done. Had been slipping for many months and eventually was getting worse. Had lasted 131,000 so not too bad I guess. Cost just over £800 with the parts and labour. Oh well.

Car does seem a lot quieter now and the rattle I had on reversing has gone.
Ah! You have just answered my question. I was wondering what would be the cost of clutch, dmf and labour. Did you get it done by dealer or independent?
The strange thing is that I am well below your numbers: slowly approaching 80.000.
I guess one of the previous owners (and there were 2 before me) did not care too much...
At the moment clutch is not slipping yet. I hope it will stay like for the time being that although changing gears/starting is a bit awkward now.
Anyway, many thanks for all the feedback guys.

Last edited by janusz; May 9th, 2013 at 23:05. Reason: Typo
janusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2013, 10:34   #6
kebab10
Premier Member

Sourced the parts myself. All Luk parts. 3 part clutch kit which included the slave cylinder, DMF and the bolts for the DMF. Had to do a lot of shopping around as the price difference was quite substantial form various motor factors. Requested help from the forum for someone to fit them and a garage out at Chalgrove near Watlington agreed to do the job.

They also changed the gearbox oil as well and its a hell of a lot quieter. They took 5.5 hours to do the job and very well done it was. Other more local indy garages quoted as much as £1150, Mr Clutch £1002, and a mobile mechanic more than £900! The parts also differed widly in pricing, ended up on Ebay as they were the only ones with all the parts in stock?
kebab10 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kebab10 For This Useful Post: