Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Noise: clacking/slapping/banging on 2014 V60 - help

Views : 1155

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 5th, 2020, 21:51   #1
Foxwhelp

Default Noise: clacking/slapping/banging on 2014 V60 - help

Hi all. I have a V60 (phev awd), there is a strange noise which sounds like two pieces of metal being banged or slapped together, occurring usually when I pull away, but sometimes at higher speeds. It happens in electric and also when the diesel motor is running (it is loud enough to hear over the engine), does anyone have any ideas as to what it could be ? Sounds like it is coming from under the front of the car, (possibly left hand side). thanks.
Foxwhelp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5th, 2020, 22:27   #2
The Thong
VOC Member

Is the belly cover loose underneath?
Old Oct 7th, 2020, 20:13   #3
Foxwhelp

I have no idea but will raise with the garage. The noise also happens when when rolling down a hill in neutral.
Old Oct 7th, 2020, 22:49   #4
The Thong
VOC Member

Possibly a drive shaft, it’s hard to say. Good luck with locating it

TT
The Following User Says Thank You to The Thong For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 9th, 2020, 00:45   #5
Charlie70

I had a rattle start a few days ago when pulling out of a car park, coming from the same area you describe. With a second person outside, I narrowed it down to the front left wheel / brake disc. A stone became trapped between the dirt shield and inside of the disc and was intermittently clanking, sounding like metal on metal. Just too big to fall out, it need the shield pulling away from the disc for it to drop out. How it got in I'll never know but it's a poor design of the shield that needed manual intervention to remove it.
Charlie70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17th, 2020, 17:00   #6
Foxwhelp

Default reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie70 View Post
I had a rattle start a few days ago when pulling out of a car park, coming from the same area you describe. With a second person outside, I narrowed it down to the front left wheel / brake disc. A stone became trapped between the dirt shield and inside of the disc and was intermittently clanking, sounding like metal on metal. Just too big to fall out, it need the shield pulling away from the disc for it to drop out. How it got in I'll never know but it's a poor design of the shield that needed manual intervention to remove it.
I have had the issue with a pebble in the break disc before, it turned out it was the driveshaft though. thanks.
Old Oct 17th, 2020, 17:01   #7
Foxwhelp

Default reply

and The Thong has it ! Got my car back today and it was the driveshaft. £1k to have it repaired. FFS, never buying a volvo again.
The Following User Says Thank You to Foxwhelp For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 17th, 2020, 18:40   #8
The Thong
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxwhelp View Post
and The Thong has it ! Got my car back today and it was the driveshaft. £1k to have it repaired. FFS, never buying a volvo again.
TBF, driveshafts fail. My S60 Auto had both fail but I find with manual transmission that they last longer. Gotta say though, a grand is a bit steep for a driveshaft replacement though. Anyway, well done and car fixed. How’re you getting along with your motor otherwise?
Old Oct 23rd, 2020, 20:44   #9
Foxwhelp

Default V60

The Thong, hate to say this, worse decision of my life. I don't doubt I bought a dud, whereas most V60s of that age will be fine. Bought it less than two years ago with less than 38000 miles on the clock and its already cost £3000 in repairs. It even had a broken tailgate lock at the start of the lockdown, as the garages weren't open I had 10 weeks of not being able to open the boot. Buying a Honda next time. Nevermind. If the AWD sees me through any bad weather this winter it will redeem itself a bit.
The Following User Says Thank You to Foxwhelp For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 23rd, 2020, 22:47   #10
The Thong
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxwhelp View Post
The Thong, hate to say this, worse decision of my life. I don't doubt I bought a dud, whereas most V60s of that age will be fine. Bought it less than two years ago with less than 38000 miles on the clock and its already cost £3000 in repairs. It even had a broken tailgate lock at the start of the lockdown, as the garages weren't open I had 10 weeks of not being able to open the boot. Buying a Honda next time. Nevermind. If the AWD sees me through any bad weather this winter it will redeem itself a bit.
Yep..... I’ve had a couple of new motors that have been complete dogs. When your motor spends more time in the dealer than it does at home, the magic soon burns away. I love Honda, I bought a 1.4 8th Gen with 128k on the clock at three years old. Apart from a clutch, a bullet holed Condenser and a Battery @ 6yo, it was.a reliable old boot and fun to drive.
I’m sorry to hear your Volvo experience has been a let down, gd luck with your next motor.

TT
The Following User Says Thank You to The Thong For This Useful Post: