Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Autodoc / OnlineCarParts / et al CAVEAT EMPTOR

Views : 920

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 19th, 2020, 18:18   #1
RollingThunder
Grumpy Old Git

Default Autodoc / OnlineCarParts / et al CAVEAT EMPTOR

Just a heads up for people buying parts from this German company (which has many variously named misleading '.co.uk' websites)...

I ordered a couple of parts from them last week, which arrived this afternoon. Amongst those parts were a pair of boot struts - they have a variety of brands available so I chose Magneti Marelli as a mid range brand. Upon opening the box I found the struts supplied were 'Stark' branded - I had not been advised of the substitution and no price adjustment had been made.

I've googled the Stark brand, and couldn't find out much about them - except the various webshops associated with Autodoc have been doing this to a number of people - ie substituting Stark products for other named brand items and not informing the buyer. It seems the Stark brand is the supplier's own brand?

I've contacted them and will let you know what they say. Needless to say I'm not happy with this sneaky swap, and have requested that they send out the items I ordered by return, and arrange for the collection of the Stark ones.

I should point out that I've bought many items from them before, without issue (apart from being a bit slow to deliver), however this unwanted substitution seems to be quite prevalent if you search the web...
RollingThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RollingThunder For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 19th, 2020, 19:04   #2
rudi dudi
DPF free.FCUK Greta he he

I've mentioned this previously regarding Auto Crock... it's always a roll of the dice with this lot.
They are cheap and sometimes it works out.. Deliveries are always an eternity so get your orders in now for 2021 delivery.
Always use as a last resort or if the price difference is massive (which sometimes it is and sometimes it isn't)
rudi dudi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rudi dudi For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 19th, 2020, 21:38   #3
eternal optimist
Master Member

Can’t say I’ve ever had a problem with them. Only ever ordered OE brands such as Sachs, ATE or SKF.
eternal optimist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to eternal optimist For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 19th, 2020, 22:07   #4
sv70

I had a similar problem around 18 months ago ordered a particular good brand only to get an inferior brand, in the end i sent the goods back at my own cost to get a refund, and 6 weeks ago ordered a pair of -FAG top strut bearings-which did arrive ok, so hit and miss, all you can do is stipulate when you order-if this brand isn't available-cancel the order to be safe.
sv70 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sv70 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 20th, 2020, 08:14   #5
Fika

I too ordered from them a while ago and it took a while for the delivery to arrive, I'm used to next day deliveries- call me spoiled. There was a swaparoo done on a part but I was informed via email about this in advance and any time an item was out of stock, I was refunded that amount.

I've not used them often so my experience is quite brief with them.
Fika is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fika For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 20th, 2020, 08:56   #6
Brimfull
V50 R-Design SE T5 baby!!

I have only used AUTO-DOC once and that was for a timing chain kit for a vag tfsi engine. I waited about 2 weeks for delivery only to discover that they had sent me a Chain for the Oil pump. It took a further two weeks for this item to be returned to them and then a further 3 weeks for the correct item to be delivered.

V50 T5 R-Design SE
Brimfull is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Brimfull For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 5th, 2020, 22:20   #7
cchidzey

Same, I was stuck for some parts a while ago, commonly available parts online but not held at the local motor factors.
Bought from Autoparts.co.uk purely because they said they had the parts in stock, dispatched the same day if ordered before 5pm and used Royal Mail. Perfect when a motor is off the road and you need the parts quickly.

Items were dispatched the same day, from Germany, took a week to get here. The dot co.uk is purposely misleading as to where they're based.
cchidzey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cchidzey For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 6th, 2020, 08:06   #8
Thekilt

I was concerned when I read the reviews and they were all mixed. But I took a punt and ordered my Bilstien kit and control arms from them earlier this year, as i had a really good discount on the parts and paid by credit card so i was protected if anything happened.

Delivery was pretty quick (4-5 days) as expected from a eruopean company and free delivery. all parts were correct and as ordered.

I always use credit card so im protected, and plus get points on it anyway.
The Following User Says Thank You to Thekilt For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 6th, 2020, 08:55   #9
RollingThunder
Grumpy Old Git

Just an update to this - three weeks or so later and I'm still waiting to hear back from them...

Caveat Emptor - you've been warned.
RollingThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RollingThunder For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 6th, 2020, 09:12   #10
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Another sneaky trick performed by these and some others is they advertise items at a really good price then ask for the reg number "to ensure correct fitment".

Online Car Prats nearly suckered me this way, i needed a new pair of front discs for my 760 and had measured them (dia and thickness) so knew what i needed. Found a pair on fleabay from onlinecarparts.co.uk - right size, nice price (about £40 the pair, delivered) and tried to not add my reg number as i've been caught this way before.

It wouldn't let me so eventually entered my reg, paid and waited.

Sure enough an email via ebay came saying they were the wrong size for my car and if i wanted to discuss the correct size, phone.

I phoned. Got the order brought up their end and they tried telling me the correct discs were available for ~£280 + P&P for my car.

I asked the dimensions and discovered they were larger diameter and thicker. I then requested them to confirm the dimensions of the pair i had already ordered and paid for. Those were still the right dimensions so i said i'd have what i'd ordered please as the ones they were "recommending" were far too big. They firstly tried to insist their recommendation was correct so i pointed out i wouldn't be able to fit both brake pads into the caliper with their disc. Please send me what i have already ordered.

"Sorry sir, we can't do that - they're out of stock!"

Since when i asked? Obviously caught them on the hop as they quoted about a month previously.

They were then more shocked when i asked for a refund! Can't think why!

A blessing in disguise for me as a few days later a pair of NOS discs, the right sizes came up on ebay for £20 delivered. I didn't need any prodding to hit the Buy It Now!

It all worked out well for me in the end but i wonder if someone maybe not quite so aware of methods like these and hadn't measured their discs would have been caught and stung for ~£300 - probably and likely they would have been one of many. Then they would have had the lengthy return process to endure while finding the correct parts and potentially being off the road as a result.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post: