Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New Driver looking for C30, anything to look out for?

Views : 1006

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 18th, 2020, 16:44   #1
AliPhotography

Smile New Driver looking for C30, anything to look out for?

This has probably been asked before, I did take a look but can't find any information.
I passed my driving two weeks ago & have decided to buy a Volvo 1.6 D R Design C30 facelift. When searching is there anything you suggest I keep an eye out for?
I just love the look of the car, especially the R design. I haven't seen any local to me, in fact I haven't even managed to see on in real life yet! lol
AliPhotography is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19th, 2020, 09:26   #2
rxtian

Are you sure that you want a diesel?

Unless you are doing long journeys then a petrol is probably more suitable and more reliable.

My partner has a 1.6 petrol C30 R-Design and its a great first car.
rxtian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19th, 2020, 15:17   #3
AliPhotography

I mostly want the diesel, correct me if I'm wrong, because it as cheaper road tax + has better mpg?
I don't know why but I didn't even consider a petrol?
Old Oct 19th, 2020, 20:47   #4
Brimfull
V50 R-Design SE T5 baby!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliPhotography View Post
I mostly want the diesel, correct me if I'm wrong, because it as cheaper road tax + has better mpg?
I don't know why but I didn't even consider a petrol?
Diesel is a more expensive fuel per litre and will more than likely cost you more on repairs during your ownership as modern diesels and short journeys don't get along.

If you drive under 12-15k miles per year I would not consider a diesel.

V50 T5 R-Design SE
Brimfull is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Brimfull For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 20th, 2020, 10:52   #5
big square car

Had a 1.6 petrol C30 in the family for 11yrs. A lovely little car, nicely finished,comfortable and reliable. On the down side, not particularly practical if you want to carry stuff. Underneath this car is mechanically a Ford Focus.
As far as I know the 1.6D has a 'wet' DPF i.e requires topped up with fluid every 37000miles (I think) and replacement at 76000 (Expensive!).
The deisel may give better MPG but will cost money in other ways. Petrol is better unless you intend to do a lot of motorway driving
big square car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20th, 2020, 13:15   #6
S60RDesign

As above don't get a diesel if you do less than 15000 miles a year. That 1.6 PSA diesel doesn't have a great reputation either. Engines seem the weak point of the C30 really with underwhelming Ford petrol engines apart from the Volvo 5 cylinder T5. You could look for a 1.6 or 1.8 if it isn't too expensive to insure though. The C30 is a great looking car and a real shame Volvo didn't replace it.
S60RDesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23rd, 2020, 12:57   #7
AliPhotography

Smile

I normally will be travelling across the country as I'm a wedding photographer, If Covid-19 allows then Im very busy next year, with weddings ranging from Scotland to London (I live in blackburn).

I am going to see a Volvo C30 1.6 diesel R Design tomorrow, & the owner has had the dpf replaced 10,000 miles ago. Not really a car guy so will be taking my brother to have a look at it. I'll keep you updated!

Also side note, I am a bit of a audio enthusiast. The car comes with the standard sound system, not performance or anything. Obviously I've not heard the sound yet BUT if I was looking to upgrade the door speakers is this difficult?

IF I don't purchase the car I will definitely start to look at petrol ones too.

Really appreciate everyones help! What a good community
Old Oct 23rd, 2020, 17:36   #8
big square car

Yes, the diesel is maybe the better option for you.The relatively new DPF is definitely a plus. Hope it all works out.
big square car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23rd, 2020, 19:03   #9
T5R92011
FCW Auto Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliPhotography View Post
Obviously I've not heard the sound yet BUT if I was looking to upgrade the door speakers is this difficult?
The standard sound system is "ok" but has no EQ options which lets it down. THe high performance and premium stereos are much better and have EQ options. You can tell what you have by pressing the power button (top left knob) on the center stack, when you press it you will either get:

- Picture of your car on the screen with no words (this is the basic stereo)
- Picture of your car with "high performance sound".
- Picture of your car with "Premium sound" or dynaudio etc

If your car has a center speaker on the dashboard then it has the top stereo, labelled "dynaudio".

Speakers are rivetted to the door frame so can just drill them out to change.

Worth noting that you basically cannot change the headunit in these cars because it is fully integrated into the climate control system etc. So you need to make sure that whatever car you buy has the required Auxilary inputs etc that you need. 2012 onwards cars allow bluetooth music streaming, anything older than that is phonecalls only.

Older cars will have USB, ipod and aux inputs inside the armrest if specced.

Don't buy a car that has only a CD player and no aux inputs, or you will kick yourself.
Old Oct 23rd, 2020, 22:10   #10
AliPhotography

I will keep you all updated, and yesss I hope so too @big square car.
Thanks @T5R92011 i will definitely check the system and make sure it has an aux input, the seller mentioned bluetooth but might just be phone connectivity not actual media.
Yes I read up about the speakers being troublesome to change, so fingers crossed I get lucky and I'm happy with the sound!