Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New (to me) 1980 Volvo 244

Views : 1773598

Replies : 4083

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 11th, 2020, 12:14   #1601
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
I've told my mate with the Z4 that he should reverse into the garage - and to start and run the car once per week - and to park with the electric parking brake off ... about 100 million times (it seems). Not to worry, I'll probably get the car going this afternoon. I didn't fancy blowing up the alternator on the Skoda by risking jump charging a battery with very low resistance at 30A for half an hour yesterday, otherwise we could have ended up with two dead cars at a remote lock up garage.

I've fixed that Z4 quite a few times, and I've told my mate this is the last time I'll rescue it. If he isn't going to use the car then sell it as soon as I get it going (particularly as he has just lost his lock up garage). It won't last long parked on the road.

I'm not a BMW fan. I bought a brand new 318 touring about 30 years ago (tax free, I was being posted back to Germany). I'd ordered it at short notice over the phone and showed up at the very swish showroom at Park Lane to collect, only to notice the car didn't have a radio fitted. I asked the suited salesman where was the radio, and he explained that I had not specified one so they had not fitted it, but I could of course purchase on of their BMW (re-branded blue-spot) radios that started at only £400 (a lot of money in about 1991). It had not occurred to me that I might have to order a radio separately for what was quite an up market car - I'd bought a couple of new Mazdas in the years prior and they came with everything as standard (certainly radios, A/C and electric windows all round). I took the car away somewhat in disgust, bought a pretty good Kenwood radio for less than half the price BMW had wanted in the NAAFI when I got to Germany. I've never bought a new (or used) BMW since - I just don't like the company's way of doing things (and they seem to be driven by pretentious people that often insist on overtaking my Porsche whatever the risk).

Ho hum, time for Bob's first walk.

Alan

PS. We don't need the robot vacuum cleaner, but it is just so cool.

I always find reversing into garages is easier than driving in. Firstly you have door mirrors you can use to see where the rear of the car is in relation to the sides/back of the garage, secondly it's easier to turn in small spaces in reverse (think of a fork lift with rear wheel steering), thirdly it's physically easier to drive out and less chance of an accident with other vehicles that haven't seen you trying to reverse out of a garage you can't see naything out of, fourthly the cold, steamy exhaust fumes won't be obscuring your view as they would if you were reversing out - i could go on as there's a few more reasons too.

Good call on telling your mate to sort the Z4 out, it's not doing him or the car any favours not being used.

I think BMW were very poor back in the 90s with equipment, as you say, too much missing as standard that other marques already had. Also i had a couple of 728s way back when and both developed serious problems very quickly, that put me off them for life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loki_the_glt View Post
I'm with the Laird - I had an iPhone 4s many years ago, mainly because a good friend worked me a good deal on the contract, but kept it only until the contract lapsed, at which point I reverted to a BlackBerry and have stayed with BlackBerrys(ies?) ever since, currently using a Key2. I find Apple treats users like children, forever admonishing them to "back up this phone. It has not been backed up in the last two weeks" even though you haven't altered any of the data in that period, whereas the BlackBerry assumes you're an adult and will back it up as and when you have to.
I had a BlackBerry once, for about 3 days! The buttons were too small for my fingers so sold it on ebay and got a Samsung Tocco instead, bought off ebay. Many moons ago i also worked on Apple computers and didn't like their engineering methods so have always swerved their products. Also known many people who have had reliability problems with their phones which was my experience of Apple computers.
As for back ups, the Android system tends to back up most of the stuff automatically but a back up can be forced (for example when you're about to change your phone) so the data can all be downloaded to a new device or simply to perform a factory reset without losing all your personal data.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 11th, 2020, 12:40   #1602
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
I always find reversing into garages is easier than driving in. Firstly you have door mirrors you can use to see where the rear of the car is in relation to the sides/back of the garage, secondly it's easier to turn in small spaces in reverse (think of a fork lift with rear wheel steering), thirdly it's physically easier to drive out and less chance of an accident with other vehicles that haven't seen you trying to reverse out of a garage you can't see naything out of, fourthly the cold, steamy exhaust fumes won't be obscuring your view as they would if you were reversing out - i could go on as there's a few more reasons too.

Good call on telling your mate to sort the Z4 out, it's not doing him or the car any favours not being used.

I think BMW were very poor back in the 90s with equipment, as you say, too much missing as standard that other marques already had. Also i had a couple of 728s way back when and both developed serious problems very quickly, that put me off them for life.
I agree with all that Dave, although I don't reverse the Porsche into the garage because it is quite a bit wider at the back than at the front, so it is handy to have the rear wheel arches where I can see them in the mirrors.

I'm tired of fixing this particular Z4 - it is nearly always the same thing (flat battery), and my mate just doesn't listen to any advice (he is in his mid 70s and a bit stuck in his ways). I've just finished taking Bob for his second walk (I've rigged up a fan in the kitchen for him so he can cool down, it is a scorcher today), so I'll head over to MH with the battery I've borrowed from the RB as a back up plan. This will be the very last time I fix this Z4 though!

I struggle to understand the allure of BMW cars, but they somehow justify a high price and are popular.

Alan
Othen is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 11th, 2020, 14:53   #1603
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
I agree with all that Dave, although I don't reverse the Porsche into the garage because it is quite a bit wider at the back than at the front, so it is handy to have the rear wheel arches where I can see them in the mirrors.

I'm tired of fixing this particular Z4 - it is nearly always the same thing (flat battery), and my mate just doesn't listen to any advice (he is in his mid 70s and a bit stuck in his ways). I've just finished taking Bob for his second walk (I've rigged up a fan in the kitchen for him so he can cool down, it is a scorcher today), so I'll head over to MH with the battery I've borrowed from the RB as a back up plan. This will be the very last time I fix this Z4 though!

I struggle to understand the allure of BMW cars, but they somehow justify a high price and are popular.

Alan
You need a Porsche-shaped garage Alan! Or maybe just an extra wide one.

Good luck with that Z4, sounds like you're going to need it!

Back in the 1970s, just after the triumph Dolomite was launched, there was a band of people looking for a car and the two choices were a Dolomite or a "Neue Klasse" BMW 1602/2002 - sadly strikes hit BL at that time and the Dolomite became available in fits and starts, sometimes with dubious build quality as a result of the workers apathy due to low wages etc. If the 16/2002 hadn't been a success, BMW would have gone under. The Dolomite was cheaper and just as good (when it was built right) but lack of availability meant fewer were sold so buyers went to BMW and many stuck with it. You can guess the rest!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old Aug 11th, 2020, 16:05   #1604
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

Default German engineering

Or is it simply because it is German? Anecdotally, German engineering has long been regarded by many as 'better'. This applies, not just to BMW, but to Audi, Mercedes and, yes, Porsche.

This may well have been so once, but others have closed the gap to the point where there are no really 'bad' cars anymore. Your example of the Dolomite just wouldn't happen today, 'L.S.', or if it did it just wouldn't sell. This may have led to BMW et. al. trading upon their reputation and past glories, but arguably no more so than Volvo on theirs for safety.

It does not apply only to cars, either. I seem to recall you challenging me recently when I mentioned Bosch in another context, 'L.S.'. Past glories? Rolls-Royce once even traded on 'The Magic of a Name'; now the cars are no more than, in effect, posh BMWs! Plus ca change, plus ca meme chose!

Having said all of that, I regarded my NSU Quickly moped as better built than certain British offerings, and my NSU Prima 5 Star scooter better engineered than the equivalent Lambrettas, so perhaps there was something in it, after all?!

Regards, John.

Last edited by john.wigley; Aug 11th, 2020 at 16:11. Reason: Minor corrections
john.wigley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to john.wigley For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 11th, 2020, 16:27   #1605
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
You need a Porsche-shaped garage Alan! Or maybe just an extra wide one.

Good luck with that Z4, sounds like you're going to need it!

Back in the 1970s, just after the triumph Dolomite was launched, there was a band of people looking for a car and the two choices were a Dolomite or a "Neue Klasse" BMW 1602/2002 - sadly strikes hit BL at that time and the Dolomite became available in fits and starts, sometimes with dubious build quality as a result of the workers apathy due to low wages etc. If the 16/2002 hadn't been a success, BMW would have gone under. The Dolomite was cheaper and just as good (when it was built right) but lack of availability meant fewer were sold so buyers went to BMW and many stuck with it. You can guess the rest!

One of the reasons I fitted electric roller doors to the garage was to get an extra 4" width - for the Porsche.

The Z4 is fixed, it fired up straight away with the RB's battery (by chance an exact fit), and now is running fine on its own, charged battery. I told Shaun he should sell it now during the nice weather (it is the folding hard top type) - he would still get something for it and I won't turn up to start it in 6 months time. I don't know whether he will or not (has 2 other cars: an electric thing and a really nice 1984 Ford Capri V6, hence not using the beemer).

I agree about the Triumph Dolomite piece - it was a really nice car, particularly with the 16 valve engine, every bit as good as the BMWs of the day. The BL malaise got to it though... we know the rest of the story. It could so easily have been BMW going broke and Triumph occupying that place in car manufacture today.

:-)

Last edited by Othen; Aug 11th, 2020 at 16:46.
Old Aug 11th, 2020, 16:43   #1606
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john.wigley View Post
Or is it simply because it is German? Anecdotally, German engineering has long been regarded by many as 'better'. This applies, not just to BMW, but to Audi, Mercedes and, yes, Porsche.

This may well have been so once, but others have closed the gap to the point where there are no really 'bad' cars anymore. Your example of the Dolomite just wouldn't happen today, 'L.S.', or if it did it just wouldn't sell. This may have led to BMW et. al. trading upon their reputation and past glories, but arguably no more so than Volvo on theirs for safety.

It does not apply only to cars, either. I seem to recall you challenging me recently when I mentioned Bosch in another context, 'L.S.'. Past glories? Rolls-Royce once even traded on 'The Magic of a Name'; now the cars are no more than, in effect, posh BMWs! Plus ca change, plus ca meme chose!

Having said all of that, I regarded my NSU Quickly moped as better built than certain British offerings, and my NSU Prima 5 Star scooter better engineered than the equivalent Lambrettas, so perhaps there was something in it, after all?!

Regards, John.
There does seem to be something about German engineering in the British psyche - I find it inexplicable - in my experience Japanese engineering is generally better than German (certainly in bikes, cars, electronics, cameras ...). British science and technology are also very sound, but as a nation we seem to have a problem with the boring bit: making thousands of copies all up to the same high standard.

In the motorcycle world there is no serious challenge to Japanese (although I do really like Triumph and always own at least one).

Alan

Last edited by Othen; Aug 11th, 2020 at 16:48. Reason: Spelling error.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 11th, 2020, 16:44   #1607
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john.wigley View Post

Regards, John.
Alan has presented 99% of what i was going to argue in favour of the Dolomite John but you make a bigger point - all our cars are now made by foreign countries. With the exception of small-volume manufacturers such as TVR, all mass produced cars are nw from different countries.

I don't recall the challenge about Bosch but if it was something long the lines of they've lost their way on quality and are trading purely on their previous good name, i definitely stand by it but i have to agree, almost every manufacturer is still doing exactly the same. I'm not sure that there aren't any really bad cars any more, i still think there are - the situation as i see it is there are no really good cars now so there's nothing to compare the bad ones to, they are all mediocre with little or no character.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 11th, 2020, 16:52   #1608
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Alan has presented 99% of what i was going to argue in favour of the Dolomite John but you make a bigger point - all our cars are now made by foreign countries. With the exception of small-volume manufacturers such as TVR, all mass produced cars are nw from different countries.

I don't recall the challenge about Bosch but if it was something long the lines of they've lost their way on quality and are trading purely on their previous good name, i definitely stand by it but i have to agree, almost every manufacturer is still doing exactly the same. I'm not sure that there aren't any really bad cars any more, i still think there are - the situation as i see it is there are no really good cars now so there's nothing to compare the bad ones to, they are all mediocre with little or no character.
Morgan is still an interesting concept Dave, if I had a spare £90,000 I'd probably get one.

I think it was Mr Honda that said (paraphrasing) that one day there would only be 5 car manufacturers in the world, but one of them would be Morgan :-)

Alan
Old Aug 11th, 2020, 17:06   #1609
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Morgan is still an interesting concept Dave, if I had a spare £90,000 I'd probably get one.

I think it was Mr Honda that said (paraphrasing) that one day there would only be 5 car manufacturers in the world, but one of them would be Morgan :-)

Alan
Are you sure you would Alan? An Italian car with a BMW engine?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morgan...n%20EV3%20More

Technically they are British but have been Italian owned for about 18 months. I know the French, specifically Renault, have all but murdered Nissan and Mitsubishi, not to mention Vauxhall cars (now owned by Fiat) so it doesn't bode well for Morgan.
As far as i know, TVR are still independent (but feel free to correct me if that's wrong!) so are the only true British manufacturer left.

The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 11th, 2020, 17:19   #1610
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

Quote:
There does seem to be something about German engineering in the British psyche - I find it inexplicable - in my experience Japanese engineering is generally better than German (certainly in bikes, cars, electronics, cameras ...). British science and technology are also very sound, but as a nation we seem to have a problem with the boring bit: making thousands of copies all up to the same high standard.

In the motorcycle world there is no serious challenge to Japanese.

Alan
Agreed, Alan, and it has been so since the 1960s. When I turned 16, it was normal to ride some sort of sub £10 'fixer-upper', not unlike my Raleigh Runabout. I believe that I described it in an earlier post as being a reinforced pedal cycle with a 49cc two-stroke engine slung under the bottom bracket.

There was one lad in my class whose parents were perhaps a little better off than most and who bought him a new Honda 50 C100 (Cub) - this was in late 1964. What a beautiful machine: four-stroke OHV motor with full suspension, foot-rests and a pillion seat. Unrestricted in those far-off days, it would do over 40 MPH, return 100 + MPG and came with indicators, speedometer, electric horn, brake-light and mirrors, all as standard. I think the only 'extras' offered were a windscreen and panniers - there was even one fitted with an electric foot, the C102.

That should have rung warning bells loud and clear in the board-rooms of Britain at the time, but we chose to ignore it to our cost. It was just the same with cars in the '70s. As you said, even the most basic came with a radio, when not a decade earlier some British manufacturers were still listing heaters as optional extras - hard to imagine when you remember that the first Datsun (Nissan) was a CKD Austin 7!

Regards, John.